BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Oil leak gearbox - 2001 Petrol manual

More
05 Feb 2023 13:05 - 05 Feb 2023 17:10 #247366 by IDP
I have a new oil lean on my gearbox and wondered if anybody had seen same issue. We noticed a burning oil smell, on checking there was a stream of oil down the side of the gearbox ( about half way down), dropping onto the catalyst. Getting a mirror and it seems to be coming from a hole on the top, looks like a cross drilling for assembly of detents. Looking online for picture there should be a bung in there (see picture). I contacted Suzuki but there is no replacement part - going to try and block it off, what I can't figure out is why after 80k does it decided to fall out. Anybody seen similar issue? I did get the parts department to talk to the workshop and they said they had seen similar issue on Vitara and they just something to block the hole.

2 days before I noted a leak from front diff as well, could they be related? Had been running in 4wd the day before.

Was wondering about a blocked breather, I've got an external pipe that links all breathers to the same pipe and vents in the engine bay, been  fitted for a while and no issue, but going to check is clear. Blocked breather pipe, hard driving, hot oil building up pressure and pop?

Have new diff seal just in case, is it possible to change without replacing crush washer, just making up flanges, shafts, etc?

Any help greatly received..

Here's my gearbox. Easy to see with NSF wheel removed..

I decided to plug with a bolt and some JB weld. Hopefully it will hold until I can find a proper bung (did think about using a cork as well).

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2023 17:10 by IDP. Reason: Update

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2023 06:46 - 06 Feb 2023 06:47 #247385 by yakuza
I have not heard of such a leak before. Your explanation with the pressure build up sound plausible.

The diff input seal can be changed from the outside without setting the diff up after, just to remove the flange and change the seal.
The flange however can be a challenge to get off there.
There is a large locking nut in the center of the flange with a sleeve formed/hammered into a recess in the shaft. Must be "opened" properly before attempting to loosen the nut.
It is not so difficult with a large pneumatic impact wrench.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2023 06:47 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDP

More
06 Feb 2023 13:27 #247388 by fordem
Fairly common, and not just on Jimnys, I've had it happen on both first & second generation Vitara/Grand Vitaras.

Whoever told you there is no replacement part is either too lazy to look it up, or doesn't know what to look for - it's a rubber plug, P/N #09250-10006 - USD$1.68 from megazip in Japan. As far as I know, it's the same plug on all three models, it closes a drilling used to insert the interlock detent balls.

I would suggest you not JB weld a bolt in there, a rubber or plastic plug with a smear of RTV sealant is preferable, you might need to remove it at some point.

More
07 Feb 2023 13:04 #247403 by IDP
This in from the local Suzuki dealer, they contacted Suzuki and asked...

"Suzuki have come back to me on this for you and I'm afraid it's not good news. The part you are after isn't available as a separate part and only comes with the gearbox itself."

I'll lock at the bing you found, thanks for that.

More
07 Feb 2023 13:26 #247404 by mlines
Seems generally available in lots of outlets including some in the UK

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
07 Feb 2023 13:49 - 07 Feb 2023 13:50 #247407 by mlines
In fact the plug is IN STOCK IN SUZUKI and would be £2.17 from me plus £2.20 postage (1 week lead time)

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 07 Feb 2023 13:50 by mlines.

More
07 Feb 2023 15:24 #247411 by IDP
In fairness to the dealership is not on the parts diagram, but I sent them the number and they said it could be ordered for the costs you said - comes from Germany. I found it on lots of motorbike sites as spare part.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
08 Feb 2023 11:00 #247437 by fordem
It IS in the parts diagram - that's how/where I got the part number. #12 

More
08 Feb 2023 14:44 #247445 by IDP
Thanks, I'll pass that back to them and I'll get one ordered

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds