BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Killing the squirrel alert on a Gen.4.

More
06 Jan 2023 14:10 #246728 by Roger Fairclough
It's an unavoidable fact that the number of people killed in car accidents has plummeted over the years and this fact is even more impressive when you consider the dramatic increase in the number of vehicles on our roads. In my opinion, none of this is due to an increase in driver proficiency, it's mostly down to the cars becoming better at protecting the driver from having an accident and then protecting them after impact. This is all down to technology and that takes many forms but all of them are of benefit especially to the basic , run of the mill, plonkers who are only interested in a means of transport from a to b. Yes we can hate a lot of it, but remember, it's all that techno that will, hopefully, prevent "tail gate Charlie" from ramming you up the backside.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2023 17:54 #246730 by Motacilla
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know what a squirrel alert was.  Thought I needed more English lessons.

About the collision warning, though I don't find my LCV to be overly sensitive to objects in the roadway, it does tend to get confused by lane markings; I get "vehicle sway detected" i.e. non-squirrel alerts from time to time.  So I guess I can understand the desire to unplug the gizmo.

Realigning the camera might help -- Martin, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's just a camera and not lidar, as I don't think the latter would be able to read the pattern on a piece of paper.  One could perhaps also simply cover the camera with an opaque or at least light-limiting covering, if indeed it's a camera and not lidar.

Doing something more direct, like disconnecting the camera or pulling its fuse, would probably cause the car to throw a code.  But putting something to block or at least "fuzz up" the view might be possible without the computer being any the wiser.

Maybe start with something like petroleum jelly, or do you call it petrolatum?  That would let the car see light/dark but probably not, erm, squirrels.  If that wasn't enough, perhaps some of that coloured tape that one uses as a temporary repair for broken taillights, or an offcut of heavy window tint.

Cheers from the Baltic, where we have bear alerts instead of squirrel alerts.

More
06 Jan 2023 18:03 - 06 Jan 2023 18:04 #246731 by mlines
Its a dual sensor system. One is a lidar and the other a monochrome camera

And you can obscure it but it will complain noisily

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 06 Jan 2023 18:04 by mlines.

More
06 Jan 2023 18:12 #246732 by jlines
You can’t cover it as I’ve got my Gen 4 covered up in the garage and when you start the car it complains about the sensors being covered up.

More
06 Jan 2023 18:41 #246733 by Roger Fairclough
As I can switch it off simply by pushing a button and holding it down for 4-5 seconds, I was thinking along the lines of a 12 volt supply that was initiated by the ignition system and lasted say 6 seconds. This would switch it off each time I drove the car without further action from me.

By the way, I have never noticed the system being switched back on when I exceed 40 mph.

Roger

PS During the recent frosts the alarm re: camera being obscured would sound when the camera was covered by ice.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds