BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Simplest brake fluid change procedure on an ABS-equipped Jimny 3

More
26 Feb 2022 16:01 #242062 by Bosanek
What would be the simplest and most convenient complete brake fluid change procedure on an ABS-equipped Jimny 3?

The goal is to completely flush out all old brake fluid and put in new brake fluid.

I went to two unrelated mechanics and both flat out refused to do it specifically because it's an "obscure Japanese vehicle with ABS brakes".
They both told me that they had awful experience with other Japanese cars which had ABS brakes. Allegedly impossible to purge the air out.

I have no experience with those issues so I am asking here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2022 18:46 #242065 by Scimike
I am surprised by the comments of the two mechanics. Firstly that Japanese cars are any different and the fact they expect air to enter the system during a fluid change. If you blow (ezibleed) or vacuum bleed when exchanging the fluid you don't introduce any air normally. Even the two people "on /off" method should work, but I don't like it as it can cause damage to the master cylinder seal on older vehicles. Even replacing a bleed nipple is unlikely to cause issues if you limit the air entering  the system to the piston in question.
I've changed the fluid in my MR2, it's Japanese with ABS, does that count as obscure? I did it with a vacuum system. ----but Ive not done it to my Jimny. That said I don't expect it to be any different.
I'll read with interest.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Feb 2022 19:49 #242066 by Lambert
I had to replace a hard pipe on Dreadnaught when I changed the Flexi lines, this involved the entire system going dry. Even then it was entirely possible to use the tried and tested methods of vacuum pump and 2 people on and off. If you keep the system wet then as long as you keep the reservoir full then you are good to go.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
27 Feb 2022 11:10 - 27 Feb 2022 11:10 #242071 by lightning
Use a pressure bleeder like the Sealey one you can get for around £80 or less.

lt's so easy, attach it to the reservoir, pump up the pressure, and crack off the bleed nipples one at a time (with a tube connected, attached to a container) until clean fluid comes through.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2022 11:10 by lightning.

More
01 Mar 2022 15:57 - 01 Mar 2022 16:13 #242109 by Stainless
I have never performed it on our 2006 ABS Jimny, but with our Discovery-2, I plug the laptop-nanocom into the OBD2 socket, and select ABS Run. It powers up the ABS Pump. It is then simple to keep the brake fluid reservoir topped up, and go round the car, loosening each Brake Caliper bleed nipple in turn, and flush the old fluid out with new. As I say I have never done it on our Jimny, but wonder if there is an equivalent OBD2 tool for the Jimny ?    Update: having read other posts, it seems you have OBD2 tools for the Jimny, SZ-Viewer, Autool-X50/60. I wonder if these have an ABS pump run application ?
Last edit: 01 Mar 2022 16:13 by Stainless. Reason: Update.

More
01 Mar 2022 20:18 #242111 by mlines
The Gen3 and Gen4 workshop manuals only describe bleeding by manual pressing of the brake pedal.

The ABS/ESP pump test only seems to have a read function on the Suzuki diagnostic tool with the pedal being applied, there is no mention of the tool activating the pump.

A quick look on diagnostic tool sites does not seem to show ABS pump diagnostics and tests, again they seem only able to read the diagnostic module

I have only ever used the traditional foot pumping method, including on an ABS/ESP equipped Gen4 and that bled through without issue.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds