BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fitting a Turbo or Supercharger to Gen4

More
09 Oct 2023 10:04 #251291 by Busta
Every Jimny has that feature as standard, but it's not going to help road holding with more power.
Auchenblae's experience of drifting wide in a corner is a grip issue, not related to engine power and it's unlikely that 4wd would have helped.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Oct 2023 10:17 #251292 by Lambert
I wonder if that's part of the idea behind the Bridgestone Teflon that they get from the factory, the tyres are expected to slip so that you don't do too much damage in 4x4 and if you corner too hard they understeer? I have yet to set off either the abs or tc with my all terrain tyres but I can almost on demand set off the abs on dry tarmac.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Oct 2023 11:30 - 09 Oct 2023 11:31 #251294 by lightning
l predict that if these supercharger kits become popular there will be a lot more late model Jimnys being broken for parts, so at least some good will come out of it.

Although there won't be many bumpers or other front end parts.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2023 11:31 by lightning.

More
09 Oct 2023 12:02 #251295 by Roger Fairclough
Setting off the ABS whether in the dry or wet is simply a case of too much pressure on the pedal. Many drivers experience this "panic braking" because they don't pay enough attention to what they are doing and subconsciously rely on the ABS to get them out of trouble.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 Oct 2023 12:32 #251296 by Lambert
But abs works by detecting difference in wheel speed and then pulsing the calipers rapidly using the pump. If the front tyres don't grip the road there is a difference in wheel speed front to back and the abs goes off.

More
09 Oct 2023 12:54 #251298 by 300bhpton

l think this would be a great modification. l am surprised nobody has ever offered it as an aftermarket upgrade on the Jimny.

lt would certainly help if you were planning to increase the engine power, but would also make the Jimny better on road in conditions such as rain, when you can't engage 4wd on the standard vehicle.
I'd guess it would need some R&D to fully work. The Freelander 1 essentially does this but on the rear prop. However the viscous coupling unit was a bespoke design. Thus I assume it is maybe not so simple as just using a generic coupling. There are also space constraints too that would need consideration.

I do like that Land Rover's are 4wd all the time. But for normal road use in dry/wet conditions. I can't say I've ever found issue with the Jimny's setup. There again I grew up on RWD cars, so maybe just more used to that kind of setup.

More
09 Oct 2023 13:38 #251300 by DrRobin
Having had several cars which are permanent 4WD (Subaru, and a few BMWs) one thing that was top on my list was a car that you could take out of 4WD and run in 2WD for the majority of the time when you didn't need it. I know Honda can do this, but apart from the Jimny there are few others.

I think we would all like a bit more power in our Jimny's but double the power? Really? What are we going to do with it on the road, carry more weight on the roof, carry 5 large adults, tow a bigger tailer or shave off a couple of seconds away from the lights?

Off road might be something else, especially if you run very big tyres, but then it's in 4WD.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
09 Oct 2023 14:11 #251301 by Roger Fairclough
ABS stands for "Anti Lock Braking System" and works, as mentioned, by detecting a variation in wheel speed in comparison to norm and then applying a pulse to that wheel by use of the brakes. A modern system will work on individual wheels, and does not switch off. Earlier systems relied on information from the front wheels only.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 Oct 2023 15:11 #251303 by Lambert
This has had me thinking about more power and if I the resources I would prefer the big block option aka the 2.4 out of the grand vitara. Being able to roll up big hills without fuss sounds really good.

More
09 Oct 2023 15:30 #251304 by Busta
I was looking at 2.4 3dr GVs as a replacement tow vehicle. Unfortunately they are few and far between, and priced extortionately. Also they don't really do much with all that extra capacity. 160hp in a tiny car but still over 10 seconds to 60. Obviously that power would go further in a much lighter Jimny, but if we're going to the trouble there are other engines I'd rather fit.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 Oct 2023 15:33 #251305 by Lambert
K24. Vtec baby!

More
09 Oct 2023 17:21 - 09 Oct 2023 19:33 #251312 by lightning
"Lots and lots of V8 powered Land Rover's about too and an 80" Series is probably lighter than a Jimny"

The Land Rover V8 was only 134bhp. Although l imagine most are now delivering somewhat more. Hard to imagine how you could produce a 3.5 litre V8 with so little power. l suppose it was more about the torque.

"l think you worry way too much. You said on another forum you have never used full throttle in your Defender D250 diesel. Which also isn't really all that speedy...."

lt is true that 250bhp only makes the Defender moderately fast as it weighs 2 1/2 tons.
But the engine is producing nearly 600Nm of torque by 1400rpm so it actually feels very strong. l never need to floor it, even when towing the caravan.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2023 19:33 by lightning.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds