BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Kingpin Bearings - Advice

More
22 Mar 2021 16:32 #233925 by maverick
Don't bother with a Steering Damper - Fix the problem - ll you will do is hide the root cause of the DW problem.

The Steering Damper isn't needed when:

1) King Pins are fixed
2) Bearings are fixed
3) Panhard Buhes are fixed
4) Tie Rod Ends are fixed
5) Clean and Balanced Wheels

Jalapeño, IISY?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2021 21:03 #233938 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Kingpin Bearings - Advice

DrRobin wrote: I found that on a run to see my parents (200 mile round trip), I would be gripping the steering wheel quite tightly and you can feel it in your arms when you get back home, if the damper eases that, it will be well worth it.

I am going to go for an Armstrong type damper, I think on balance I would like the steering a little less sensitive, especially at around 60mph.

I'm not sure a damper will achieve what you're looking for. A deathly tight grip on the wheel is a sure way to feel unsettled in a Jimny. There is a natural amount of vagueness in the chassis (tall tyres, soft suspension, soft bushes, steering box rather than a rack...) that means a small amount of wandering is innevitable and steering response will never be as immediate as a regular car. On faster roads I tend to drive with the wheel between finger and thumb and "guide" the car in the right direction rather than fighting it with constant inputs and corrections. I can drive quite comfortably at 80mph with little more fatigue than any other car.

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
24 Mar 2021 09:36 #233975 by DrRobin
Kingpin bearings for passenger side arrived from the BigJimny store (thanks Martin), so that is this weekend's activity sorted out.

Re the damper, I am going to fix the problem first, I hate anything that is wrong and always want to get to the bottom of the problem, if you don't it comes back to bite you.

It's the same for all of my vehicles any unusual noise or rattle gets investigated and also in my work (electronic design/manufacture).

The damper is not going to be there to hide the problem, it is just that personally I think the steering is a little on the light side.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Mar 2021 10:12 #233979 by Lambert
I looked long and hard at a none power steering box as I too find the assistance too much. What stopped me was manoeuvring trailers as it is useful then. I guess I would like the electric assistance if it's tuneable for different conditions.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
24 Mar 2021 10:24 #233982 by DrRobin
3 days after I bought my Jimny, the power steering system sprang a leak and dumped some of it's fluid in the road. I drove straight round to the garage and they fixed it under warranty.

Going to the garage I took a wrong road and had to do a U-turn, it was almost impossible to get full lock at slow speed. That demonstrates that PAS is required on even a small car and at slow speed on un-even ground I don't think you could live without it.

However, at 50mph+ I just think it is a little light so will try the damper, I am not expecting it to be as rock solid as my Boxster, just somewhere in between will suit.

Speed (electronic) adaptive steering would be the best of all worlds, but it would push up the price,

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
24 Mar 2021 10:41 #233984 by maverick
My old Suzuki SJ413 (I had it until 2004 whe I got my current Jimny) di NOT have Power Assisted Steering (PAS). In fact, all my road cars from 1972 onwards to around 1988 didn't have PAS.

Jalapeño, IISY?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Mar 2021 12:46 #233988 by Lambert
The pas box is geared different to the none pas one so it has more advantage than a dead pas box.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
27 Mar 2021 22:40 #234076 by DrRobin
Passenger side kingpin bearings changed, everything was seized, but a big hammer and drill works wonders.

The lower bearing was fairly rusty. The top bearing didn’t look great either, although prior to starting I couldn’t feel any play.

Anyway new bearings installed and a test drive showed no wobble at any speeds. The steering is still very light, so fitted the steering damper, now it takes a bit more effort, but a huge improvement, the steering is not as stiff as my other car, but it is more like a normal drive now, perfectly acceptable.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds