BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny 1.3 Manual 2001 rattle - rear propshaft seal

More
04 Jan 2021 13:22 #231481 by IDP
hello all, just after a bit of advice. My car developed a bad rattle (sounded like a piece of metal catching), looking at rear prop the gator has split and it has thrown grease around (probably explais the burning smell). It does have some play in the front CV unit.I removed it and as per forum discussion seems it is non servicable.....

Putting the car in AWD allows me to drive it to be able to get to work, etc - is there any issue with doing this that anybody can think of?
Searching for a replacement prop at the moment, but can only find later version which looks the same and rough measurements seem to match - but I struggle to find a sesnisble parts catalog to source part nubers from....anybody aware of one?

Also if anybody has an old unit (after upgrading) and is near I would be interested...

thanks for help and advice

Ian
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2021 14:59 #231485 by Roger Fairclough
It is practically possible to drive the front axle only but be aware that the driving sensation will be different. The Jimny is designed as a rear drive motor with 4x4 being available in a part time system. I would suggest you moderate your acceleration and restrict your speed to 30mph and restrict your distance to 10 miles.
Note also your Jimny does not comply with your insurance specifications ie: not properly maintained so it is invalid.

Roger

More
04 Jan 2021 16:35 #231487 by IDP
thanks for the response - I have found one on ebay 2710384A00, from a 2007 Jimny - does anybody know if t will fit my car?

Is there also supposed to be some play in the propshaft length, to account for axel/trans movement - the one on ebay is a fixed length and worried it might be siezed.

More
04 Jan 2021 20:24 #231495 by Roger Fairclough
Yes, a propshaft needs to extend and shorten as the axle moves up and down. If it is fitted with u/j's at each end then a sliding section accommodates this but if it has a constant velocity joint then this usually has the ball bearings arranged so that it allows end ways movement ie: no separate sliding joint.

Roger

More
04 Jan 2021 20:52 #231496 by mlines
As per Rogers reply.  Jimny rear props are fixed length as they have a CV in them

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Sick Nick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jan 2021 23:53 #231586 by Sick Nick
If you pull the cap out of the end and take the circlip off, the cv joint will come off. You can then get a 75mm cv boot over the outer part and pack it with more cv grease. Then zip tie the boot in place.

More
08 Jan 2021 08:07 #231595 by IDP
all sorted now
thanks fo rthe help

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds