BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Chassis mount fabrication

• AdDeTa
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2020 21:18 #225547 by AdDeTa
Chassis mount fabrication was created by AdDeTa
Good evening, first post on here after a while of just reading.

Quick question regarding the body/chassis mounts on the chassis side of things, how crucial are the pressed sections in which the bushes sit ? What I’m really trying to get at is with a set being made would you get away without having these indents or would it be advisable to keep them in or have a similar rim put around to seat them in ?

Thanks guys and once the resto is finished there shall be photos put up :) :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2020 08:05 #225557 by Roger Fairclough
Indents are usually created when the metal is formed in a press . There purpose is to create extra stiffness in lieu of using thicker material which would increase weight. If you are having an item made to replace damaged or corroded ones then to duplicate the original one could be very expensive so to build one using small pieces welded together is the usual option. If you demanded originality, then you would have to pay the price.

Roger

More
24 Jul 2020 08:09 #225558 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Chassis mount fabrication
Hi and welcome along.
As said above its not necessary to replicate the pressed sections so long as the actual repair is strong enough and fit for purpose. I have seen pictures of repairs using U beam section, heavy but plenty strong enough.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Jul 2020 09:50 #225567 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Chassis mount fabrication
Welcome to the forum. The process is replicated by using a thing called a dimple die. They're either pressed hydraulically or by using a heavy nut and bolt. The die will be expensive for a one off but a body shop should be able to do you some to weld in cheaply enough.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• AdDeTa
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2020 19:17 #225590 by AdDeTa
Replied by AdDeTa on topic Chassis mount fabrication

Roger Fairclough wrote: Indents are usually created when the metal is formed in a press . There purpose is to create extra stiffness in lieu of using thicker material which would increase weight. If you are having an item made to replace damaged or corroded ones then to duplicate the original one could be very expensive so to build one using small pieces welded together is the usual option. If you demanded originality, then you would have to pay the price.

Roger

That’s what I was getting at, I was planning on making them up myself until I realised there was dimples but my thinking was along the same lines as your explanation. I’d rather have faith in my own welding and use the metal I’ve got/will order rather than fork out double if not more for someone to make them. Thank you

• AdDeTa
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2020 19:20 #225591 by AdDeTa

Scimike wrote: Hi and welcome along.
As said above its not necessary to replicate the pressed sections so long as the actual repair is strong enough and fit for purpose. I have seen pictures of repairs using U beam section, heavy but plenty strong enough.
Mike

That’s what I was thinking. Either a U beam or trimmed box sections weight isn’t too much of a concern as it’s only the mounts that are just starting to go on the chassis. Would rather add weight early than lose weight to tin worm in the long run. Thank you

Adam

• AdDeTa
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2020 19:21 #225592 by AdDeTa

Lambert wrote: Welcome to the forum. The process is replicated by using a thing called a dimple die. They're either pressed hydraulically or by using a heavy nut and bolt. The die will be expensive for a one off but a body shop should be able to do you some to weld in cheaply enough.

Thanks Lambert, have seen your posts in a few threads in my relatively short time here. Seeing as I’ve been re-assured to my thinking that they aren’t a must have then I’m more than faithful to trust my own work with it otherwise your suggestion would’ve been what I went for. Thanks.

Adam

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds