BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

How light weight can a jimny get on a budget?

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2019 16:09 #216553 by OlaGB
So next question would probably be; when is a jimny light enough?

Meaning, would i benefit alot in offroad use, by lowering it from 1250kg, to lets say 1050kg by removing comfort and under car protection? Probably need to remove winch as well to get that low, but not ao sure i would be willing to do that.

Or would i loose traction, and maybe actually be more beneficial keeping it at 1200ish?

This is up for discussion, feel free to share youre thoughts :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2020 13:33 #217051 by Busta
You won't lose traction by making it lighter. The reduction in grip is cancelled out by the reduction in force needed to move the car, and as the forces are lower you should find the lighter vehicle is much more agile and reliable. Ideally you want to adjust the spring rates to suit the weight of the car to get the best articulation. I don't know what suspension you have, but most lift kits boast an increased spring rate on the assumption that off-roaders will be adorned with many accessories making them heavier than a standard car (although part of me wonders whether it's mainly done so people don't get sea sick driving a tall car around on soft springs).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds