BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:2019 Jimny SZ5 LED head light aim

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2019 10:51 #214291 by Crumbs
2019 Jimny SZ5 LED head light aim was created by Crumbs
I understand that my Jimny has an auto levelling device which means that the head light aim does not point to the sky when there are big people or heavy goods in the back.

Separately there are screw driver beam adjusters at the back of each LED head light.

Is my understanding correct?

The user manual says that I need to get Suzuki to adjust the beams.

I have approached three MOT shops with a view to get them to check and adjust the beam aim as necessary.

Unfortunately the first one did not want to adjust the beam because it was a new car and still under warranty and that the bulbs would point down as they got old.

The second MOT station said that they did not know anything about adjusting LED headlamps and the new cars had unnecessary electronics and he didn’t understand them.

The third told me come back next week.

All I ask is that dipped beam is raised to the highest level to allow me to see the road before the auto headlamp turns on.

At the moment there is quite a gap between the dip beam cut-off and the auto headlamp turn on at 30 mph.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2019 12:47 #214300 by crash486
There is a post here somewhere that shows the two adjusters , one for level, one for left / right. Not hard to adjust buy the look .
There is a leveler off the rear axle that compensates for load .

crash486

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Oct 2019 14:12 #214302 by Lambert
Sorry I'm a bit confused, you're wanting to adjust your headlights upwards so you can see when the auto lights come on? I don't follow. Also most led headlights are badly aligned anyway and dazzle oncoming vehicles with their vast light outputs pointing at the sky.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2019 19:24 #214316 by Crumbs
Replied by Crumbs on topic Re:2019 Jimny SZ5 LED head light aim
Hi Lambert.

I made a mistake a month ago by asking a garage to lower the beams because people were flashing me.

Unfortunatlety they were lowered a bit too much and the dipped beam cut off left me unable to brake in the distance I could see. There is a dead road area before the auto headlights cut in ar 30 mph which could hide a deer or person untill too late.

What I have discoverd is that the flashing was still as prevertent and seemed to peak at or after pub closing time.

The intake of alchol makes the drinker less able to stand bright lights.

So the increaded light on dip seems to prompt the reaction to incorrectly acuse the LED driver of having their beam out of wack.

Before I had the beams lowered the garage checked them and they were legal.

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2019 19:49 #214318 by Crumbs
Replied by Crumbs on topic Re:2019 Jimny SZ5 LED head light aim
Hi crash486.

Does the leveler off the rear axle work to adust the headlights to a base setting?
Then the adjusteres behind the haedlights set the lights to the legal setting?

I am still looking for the post you mention.

More
04 Oct 2019 21:10 - 04 Oct 2019 21:13 #214321 by crash486
Once you adjust the aim at the light, the one on the rear suspension maintains it as you add or remove load.

r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=http:...pe=t&link_source=app

Gen4 LED Headlight Specs
crash486
Last edit: 04 Oct 2019 21:13 by crash486.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Oct 2019 06:34 #214328 by Lambert
So you had the light units tilted downwards to mitigate the blinding effects of the leds on other road users but somehow this only affected the dip beam and now when you turn on the high beam it is still projecting correctly but there is no overlap between the two patterns on the road leading to a significant black spot. But because you're using the automatic headlight system it is switching to the high beam at 30 mph and you are still blinding people? I think you need to get it back to a Suzuki dealership assp and have it reset to factory and inspected for why it is putting the high beam on at 30 mph because speed shouldn't be the activation parameter for how much headlight you need. Another thing. You are not mistaking the illumination from the daylight running lights as the dip beam and then going straight to high beam are you?

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2019 08:49 #214337 by Crumbs
Replied by Crumbs on topic 2019 Jimny SZ5 LED head light aim
Hi Lambert.

Thanks for your reply.

Its a 2019 model SZ5 aka generation 4 - I should have mentioned this at the start - sorry.

This model does have the characteristic, in the automatic headlight mode, of not allowing main beam until your speed is over 30 mph and not allowing main beam until the ambiant light falls below a specific value.

Should there be separate manual adusters for main beam and dip?

It's not like the previous Jimnys it nags you every time it can.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Oct 2019 09:11 #214340 by Lambert
From the pictures I have seen there are only one se5 of adjustment screws per lamp but that doesn't mean that some charlatan hasn't dug about and altered something the should have left alone. Also automatic lights are programmed for the average driver doing average things so if the auto settings doesn't do what you want and when then turn it off, cars managed just fine without auto lights for the first 110 years

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2019 09:26 #214343 by Crumbs
Hi Lambert.

Thanks for your post.

So one adjuster for the main beam and dip on the left hadlamp and one for the main beam and dip on the right hadlamp.

Two ajusters in total?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Oct 2019 09:32 #214345 by Lambert
No. Up and down 1. Left and right 2. Between them they move the whole assembly as a unit. Like I said though that doesn't mean someone hasn't been inside the assembly and messed something up. It should be idiot proof but we all know they just keep producing a lower class of idiot.

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2019 10:25 #214348 by Crumbs
Hi Lambert.

I've found the adjusters.

One at the top of the headlamp clusterand one at the bottom.

Having the beam setting checked at 12 noon.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds