BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Throttle body Q for those with a 1.6?

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
06 Jan 2019 18:38 - 06 Jan 2019 18:47 #200084 by Riccy
Been doing some digging about looking at throttle body's to give more air into the intake manifold. J999MNY currently has a 2004 liana 1.6 throttle body which is larger than the standard Jimny one

The criteria was:

1. Denso idle control valve
2. Mikuni throttle position sensor
3. Matching bolt pattern to Jimny manifold
4. Cable type (i.e. not drive-by-wire)
5. Increased diameter

prepared to sacrifice one or two of those for something I can make work. So off to the local scrap yard (Michael Douglas's) with some tools and the original Jimny throttle body.

2 hours of ratching through all sorts of jap cars and eventually struck gold from an old Rav4...

Part stripped off and side by side with Jimny...

Some differences in the look of the idle control valve, but the part itself looks interchangeable. The throttle position sensor has a different plug, so some thinking needed there. The rocker cover breather on a Rav4 is connected to the throttle body, so that will need blanked or altered. Bolt spacing is also different unfortunately.

OK so back in the workshop out of the weather for a better look:

Jimny:

Rav4:

So a fair improvement (46mm to 55mm). I need to measure the Liana one in J999MNY now :huh:

Anyway, measured the resistance values on connections of the two different throttle position sensors (TPS now on...). The Jimny one is mikuni and has different readings to the Rav4 one which is marked as Toyota branded. Not going to work with the ranges I recorded and the Jimny ECU. Need to swap them over then. Looks simple enough :laugh: Famous last words!

Look the same from the top down and even fits on, but the orientation of the thing is wrong for the spindle that operates it :-(

Cue much messing about with tiny bits of metal to make a cross onto the throttle body part of it, screw it down to keep it all together and measure the resistances at different positions. Some preloading needed to get closed at the correct readings, hence the odd angle it now sits at...

So now at the point of having a large throttle body that should work and idle properly as well. Just need that one thing... A spacer/adapter for the two bolt patterns. Anyone able to make something like that? I can probs make a CAD drawing of it. wants to be a block of alloy approx 100x100x30mm max. Will need machined to match the bolt patterns and opening sizes. Preferably aluminium.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 06 Jan 2019 18:47 by Riccy. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2019 18:54 #200085 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Throttle body Q for those with a 1.6?
Nice find, hope you can make it fit!

FYI, i run a M18 intake and M18 throttlebody on my M16 sport, and the M18 TB measures 54mm ID..
The ports in the 8ntake is alot bigger than M13 too, they actually match the sport head ports pretty spot on..

Pics and measurments here:
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...ereo?start=96#194516

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
06 Jan 2019 18:59 #200086 by Riccy
Thanks Ola :-)

Where did you get the M18 manifold from? that is the next thing on my list of nasties needing sorted :laugh:

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2019 19:02 #200087 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Throttle body Q for those with a 1.6?

Riccy wrote: Thanks Ola :-)

Where did you get the M18 manifold from? that is the next thing on my list of nasties needing sorted :laugh:

That was a one time expensive find in ebay australia , and a 2 month shipping wait :whistle:

I think you must sell youre M18 to me instead :laugh:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
06 Jan 2019 19:06 #200088 by Riccy
no, you have it wrong, you must sell me your manifold and TB :laugh: (for my 1.6 of course ;-) )

The following user(s) said Thank You: OlaGB

More
23 Feb 2019 18:22 #203724 by Quasi
Riccy,

did you get sorted for an adaptor for the throttle body? If not I have a milling machine and lathe so could probably machine something if you can provide a drawing .

Mark

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Feb 2019 07:41 #203745 by Riccy
Hi Mark,

I havent got any further with this yet, its been stuck on the back burner while distracted by roll cage on Ulysses.

I can have a look and see about a drawing. Its pretty basic - just a block with 8 small holes (4 of which tapped, the other 4 countersunk) and 1 big hole, possibly with a notch in the side for the idle air bit.

Pretty simple but would be needed even just to test this to see if it works, if it does then you might have a few more orders for adapters!

PM me your email address and I can send you some sketches. If I get bored of roll cage stuff later I will fire up the CAD software and have a play.

Thanks
Riccy.

More
24 Feb 2019 23:27 #203792 by Keithy
What about welding a new base mount onto an old Jimny intake manifold with the correct centre bore and pcd for the bolts?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 18:19 #203830 by Riccy
Have you seen my welding? :laugh: :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds