BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fear of front locker

• Sandro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2016 12:30 #165841 by Sandro
Fear of front locker was created by Sandro
Hi everybody,

i have just bought a 2nd hand jimny, from a friend who downgraded to a Land Rover ...

It's a 2006 vvt, with 2" lift, 215/75 mud and front/rear Arb lockers ...

the old owner scared me telling that he snapped 2 CV joints using the front lockers, and suggested me to be very gentle with it ...

So, as i do not want to break anything, i use the front lockers only at very light gas, and no steering ... there have been times when i could not pass an obstacle with rear lockers only (+ full power) ... but even woth light foot (let say 3000rpm) and 2 lockers i didn't made it ...

I spend already almost more than i could to buy the car, so it's not time to invest in HD axles now ... nor to break the stock ones ...

I would just ask you to collect here a "front locker damages" database, indicating how you snapped yr cv or shafts, just to understand how much i can reasonably push before asking too much to the front axle

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sandro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2016 12:33 #165842 by Sandro
Replied by Sandro on topic Fear of front locker
Sorry for my english ... I'm not drunk ... I'm only italiano ...

More
26 Apr 2016 14:57 #165844 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Fear of front locker
I've never understood the need for a Front Locker - I have a rear Locker and that gets me everywhere i need to go. There are people on BigJimny who have Front Lockers and ARB's - but they tend to be "rich people".

Jalapeño, IISY?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2016 15:00 #165847 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Fear of front locker
Front locker with standard shafts and CVS calls for some cautious driving. But if course it can be done.

Also try only using the locker only when driving straight.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2016 15:01 #165848 by TomDK

maverick wrote: I've never understood the need for a Front Locker - I have a rear Locker and that gets me everywhere i need to go. There are people on BigJimny who have Front Lockers and ARB's - but they tend to be "rich people".

Probably only because you've never tried one ;)

More
28 Apr 2016 06:08 #165907 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Fear of front locker
I think you will be lucky to find enough people with a front locker to be able to make a database of how they broke cv's but I would not worry. It is nice to have the front locker but you do not have to use it until you can afford heavy duty shafts and cv's. At least someone else has paid for and fitted it!

Just enjoy what you have!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
28 Apr 2016 21:10 #165950 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Fear of front locker
Richie rich here.....I have a pair of ARB lockers.

If I break something using the ARB lockers I'll be sure to let the OP know how it happened.....I only use 2 karat diamonds as studs in my tyres these days...cutbacks!

• Sandro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Apr 2016 05:55 #165962 by Sandro
Just found on used market a set of stock CV+joints from a scraped Jimny for only 120€ ... i have now them as spare, so i can try go a little bit harder with no fear of empty (again) the wallet ... seems to be a good compromise between being rich and being under bankruptcy :P

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Apr 2016 12:45 #165980 by TomDK

Sandro wrote: Just found on used market a set of stock CV+joints from a scraped Jimny for only 120€ ... i have now them as spare, so i can try go a little bit harder with no fear of empty (again) the wallet ... seems to be a good compromise between being rich and being under bankruptcy :P

Just remember that you don't have to buy a lot of used CV's and axles before it's cheaper to udgrade to uprated shafts and CVs instead :)

• Sandro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Apr 2016 14:41 #165991 by Sandro
Ok ... but HD shafts needs usually 26 spline diffs ... and my ARB is 22 spline ...

HD kit + 26spline ARB side gears = how many couples of stock CV+shaft ?

Frankly speaking I think i will ever snap an axle only 1 time ... them i will know which is the kind of force required to break a shaft/cv ... and i will stay away from that ...

I read several discussione about HD shafts/CV and they break too ... just need more abuse ...

I do not want to trash my car, but only to know how much i can push before some thing will give up ... i will learn this by myself eventually ... but if anyone will give me già 1st person experience, i'll be happy and will think twice when i will found a tricky spot where i' ll need 2 lockers on ...

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Apr 2016 14:57 #165992 by TomDK

Sandro wrote: Ok ... but HD shafts needs usually 26 spline diffs ... and my ARB is 22 spline ...

HD kit + 26spline ARB side gears = how many couples of stock CV+shaft ?

Frankly speaking I think i will ever snap an axle only 1 time ... them i will know which is the kind of force required to break a shaft/cv ... and i will stay away from that ...

I read several discussione about HD shafts/CV and they break too ... just need more abuse ...

I do not want to trash my car, but only to know how much i can push before some thing will give up ... i will learn this by myself eventually ... but if anyone will give me già 1st person experience, i'll be happy and will think twice when i will found a tricky spot where i' ll need 2 lockers on ...

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Apr 2016 15:01 #165993 by TomDK

Sandro wrote: Hi everybody,

i have just bought a 2nd hand jimny, from a friend who downgraded to a Land Rover ...

It's a 2006 vvt, with 2" lift, 215/75 mud and front/rear Arb lockers ...

the old owner scared me telling that he snapped 2 CV joints using the front lockers, and suggested me to be very gentle with it ...

So, as i do not want to break anything, i use the front lockers only at very light gas, and no steering ... there have been times when i could not pass an obstacle with rear lockers only (+ full power) ... but even woth light foot (let say 3000rpm) and 2 lockers i didn't made it ...

I spend already almost more than i could to buy the car, so it's not time to invest in HD axles now ... nor to break the stock ones ...

I would just ask you to collect here a "front locker damages" database, indicating how you snapped yr cv or shafts, just to understand how much i can reasonably push before asking too much to the front axle

Thanks in advance

The whole point of HD shafts and CVS is that they can take more abuse before breaking. So what's your point?

I run 22 splines HD shafts and CVS. They're with 5 year warranty. But not cheap and can take a good deal of abuse compared to standard. I also run with front air locker.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds