BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

What would tractor tyres on a jimny break?

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2015 19:03 #153878 by mkay
I have a offroad only jimny to getting around the fields at the farm basicly its my UTV.

If I put a 10" wide x 28.7" od tractor tyre on the back and a Mud terrain with the same OD on the front.

Is this liable to break something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Oct 2015 06:28 #153896 by Lambert
It would entirely depend on how heavy your right foot is. If you are just creeping about solo and unloaded on gentle grass pasture then yes it is going to put some extra strain on the transmission but you should be fine, if you are raching about loaded up or with a trailer on the back and are constantly giving it beans through a heavy plough soil then yeah all sorts of things will get broken like cv joints, transfer boxes, half shafts all sorts of carnage.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2015 09:14 #153900 by mkay
Thanks for the reply.

Is the likelihood of damage due to the increased weight/surface area/increased traction?

For the most part it is just driving through damp/wet fields to check on stock, in summer we tow a 300l bowser and carrying about fencing materials to remote locations.

Have to be heavy footed with the odd gateway that the tractor has messed up but certainly far from gung ho.

More than anything just wanting to lower ground pressure.

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2015 14:24 #153903 by mkay

Currently running teknic trackers at 13psi
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Oct 2015 15:18 #153912 by Lambert
Sounds a lot like what I do with mine save for I don't go on the land between November ish and March ish so I use the standard bridgestone tyres to good effect.

The thing that destroys components is when the wheels spin and then when they find traction suddenly it's the shock loading that snaps things. Big meaty tyres will reduce the initial risk of slipping over a road or all terrain but that is off set by the severity with which they grab if they do spin.

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2015 15:41 #153915 by mkay
Would just having them on the rear help as there are no steering components so the wheels are directly on the Axel?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Oct 2015 17:01 #153918 by Lambert
Less joints does mean things will be stronger in the rear but still by no means bullet proof, the diff and transfer box will still be delicate but like I said you can mitigate that by being gentle with it.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Oct 2015 17:13 #153921 by Lambert
Also don't forget that there are many aftermarket suppliers of much stronger components such as half shafts and transfer boxes that have been developed with an eye to fitting much taller tyres and still having a degree of reliability, just look at some of the machines in the build section of the forum to get some idea of what you can achieve for making it better for your needs.

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2015 19:38 #154201 by mkay
Would a spool be stronger than welding the diff?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Oct 2015 20:13 #154209 by Lambert
Depends on the quality of the welds against the quality of the materials of the spool but yes on average a spool is stronger, don't forget though that either way will have a detrimental effect on the ability to change direction especially in wet grass or soft mud where it will always try to keep going straight. Good cheep mod but has draw backs that need to be thought through.

More
23 Oct 2015 13:52 #154247 by Busta
Unless you can get an exact match, your issue will come from slightly different tyre circumference front to back. This will be fine in the mud but will wind-up as soon as you hit a hard surface.

That's not the end of the world though, and it will be a long time before you break something. Giving it some through a wet gateway is not the same as driving like a child at a pay and play site, so I suspect the likelihood of anything breaking is very low. I haven't managed to break mine yet with 2 years of un-sympathetic farm and forestry work in similar circumstances.

• mkay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2015 16:39 #154260 by mkay
With the way these teknics wear disproportionate tyrr diameters will be a problem very soon anyway! Lol

How would lockrights work in this situation? Arb lockers look a little steep....

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds