BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Help! - Rear brake cylinder bolt size needed!

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 17:34 #61704 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Re: Help! - Rear brake cylinder bolt size needed!

kirkynut wrote: You need a set of these:

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/detai...-piece-bolt-grip-set

They are the tool you need for removing nuts or bolts that have rounded.

Then once you have got it out you can take it to compare to the ones in Halfords or to the fasteners to get replacements.

If they sheer however, you'll be buggered and will need new wheel cylinders -but they are not that expensive anyway. A motor factor may even stock the bolts if you have to get new cylinders. It's certainly not worth trying to drill the bolts out of cylinders for the cost of new cylinders.

Kirkynut

Been upto Machine Mart in Croydon and got a set. Worked a treat for all but one that had perished so much its beyond help so will Dremel it off. But thanks, this saved me so much time this evening.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2013 22:04 #61819 by kirkynut

GuardianAngel wrote:

Then once you have got it out you can take it to compare to the ones in Halfords or to the fasteners to get replacements.

If they sheer however, you'll be buggered and will need new wheel cylinders -but they are not that expensive anyway. A motor factor may even stock the bolts if you have to get new cylinders. It's certainly not worth trying to drill the bolts out of cylinders for the cost of new cylinders.

Kirkynut

Been upto Machine Mart in Croydon and got a set. Worked a treat for all but one that had perished so much its beyond help so will Dremel it off. But thanks, this saved me so much time this evening.

No probs, why won't they work on the last one then? Have you knocked the right sized one on with a hammer, then turned it? Doesn't matter if you sheer the bugger, just need it off!

You can always file edges to it again for the tool to fit on, even with persuasion, then it will grip into and undo it.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 22:34 #61829 by GuardianAngel

kirkynut wrote:

GuardianAngel wrote:

Kirkynut

No probs, why won't they work on the last one then? Have you knocked the right sized one on with a hammer, then turned it? Doesn't matter if you sheer the bugger, just need it off!

You can always file edges to it again for the tool to fit on, even with persuasion, then it will grip into and undo it.

Kirkynut

Its so perished its roundedoff to almost a circle. Tried hammering on the bolt grip but it wont stay on. Borrowing a Dremel tomorrow so I should be able to cut it off.

More
09 Feb 2013 22:54 #61839 by kirkynut
Or file it down on four sides to make it square and so the next size down fits, even if by hammering it on then!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 23:13 #61840 by GuardianAngel

kirkynut wrote: Or file it down on four sides to make it square and so the next size down fits, even if by hammering it on then!

Kirkynut

Not much of it left! Yep will give it a go if all else fails.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 23:17 #61841 by Dave cc
Or find 3/8 A/F socket and beat that onto it with a hammer as its 9.5mm or just beat it to death with a hammer and chisel aint like you are going to need it hit it hard enuf it will give up lol

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds