BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Help! - Rear brake cylinder bolt size needed!

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 16:54 - 08 Feb 2013 17:15 #61486 by GuardianAngel
Help! - Rear brake cylinder bolt size needed! was created by GuardianAngel
OK, so my brake saga continues down the slippery slope of doom :angry:

Having taken one of the drums off, to take the shoes off get the adjuster out to clean and service it, one of the solenoid rubber just falls off pretty much resulting in brake fluid everywhere. No problem, I have new ones I will fit those. OH NO YOU DON'T says Mr Jimny!

The brake line union nut was rusted on and rounded off with a sniff of the spanner, so I cut the line, fully prepared to rebuild the line. No problem, all I need to do is unbolt the cylinder . NO NO NO the J says again! These have rusted up and rounded off in no time.

Now I need to drill the heads off and find replacement bolts :angry:

So, I need to know the size and thread pitch of the rear bolts that hold the brake cylinders onto the back plate. Does anybody know? I will email the manufacturer anyway to ask, but just in case anybody here knows...

I want to cry very hard......
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 17:15 by GuardianAngel. Reason: Solenoid to cylinder

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 18:23 #61495 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Help! - Rear brake cylinder bolt size needed!
Normal 10mm bolt head size will fit from any one that sells bolts take the wheel cylinder with you and then you will no as for the pipe union that may be main dealer only if i remenber smoogy had truble finding new ones

More
08 Feb 2013 18:53 #61509 by mlines
The brake pipe unions etc. are pretty standard, let me know if you have problems as I have a couple of boxes of the male and female ones in the garage.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 19:04 - 08 Feb 2013 19:06 #61511 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Help! - Rear brake cylinder bolt size needed!
The unions are not the problem, they are M10 bolts with a 1mm thread pitch. Halfords do them, and I also have some brass ones which I will fit to the cylinders as they wont rust up.

Its the bolts that hold the brake cylinder to the rear back plate they I need replacements for. They are smaller than 10mm across (thread diameter), probably about 5mm.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 19:06 by GuardianAngel.

More
08 Feb 2013 20:01 #61536 by gus2000
hello

suzuki part 01550-06123 BOLT (6mmX12mm)

gustavo

Gustavo LU2HC - Rio Cuarto (Argentina)
Jimny 1999 - 1.6 16V - SOHC
The following user(s) said Thank You: GuardianAngel

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 20:10 #61544 by GuardianAngel
Do you remember last time you helped me and I said I could kiss you? Well this time.............. :P

Many thanks again! I don't suppose you know the thread pitch? I have Googled the part number but I cant find the information.

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 20:23 - 08 Feb 2013 20:31 #61552 by GuardianAngel
Actually, it maybe a 1mm pitch. I found this link to another Suzkui forum:

www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-jimny-sierr...sami.html#post329011

...that has a link to a table that describes the pitches used for different bolts sizes, apparently used by Suzuki. Here is the link:

www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/M...ic-Thread-Pitch.aspx

I could always go Titanium! www.pro-bolt.com/titanium-hex-head-m6-x-...mm.html#.URVgaR1ri5I
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 20:31 by GuardianAngel.

More
09 Feb 2013 11:16 #61660 by facade
Pop the rubbers out and warm the alloy cylinder up with a blowlamp and they will come out easily.

If you have destroyed the heads you will have to grind new flats, or put a slot across them.

They may well be fine pitch.
Standard ISO pitch is 1.0 for a 6mm thread, the fine pitch is 0.75mm. The Japanese have always used pressure die-casting for alloys, with fine pitched bolts. (The alloy corrodes much quicker than the traditional British sand casting alloys, but the die-cast ones don't have dirty great holes in them)

Pop down your local fastener supplier and get a couple of each

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 11:41 #61664 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Help! - Rear brake cylinder bolt size needed!

facade wrote: Pop the rubbers out and warm the alloy cylinder up with a blowlamp and they will come out easily.

If you have destroyed the heads you will have to grind new flats, or put a slot across them.

They may well be fine pitch.
Standard ISO pitch is 1.0 for a 6mm thread, the fine pitch is 0.75mm. The Japanese have always used pressure die-casting for alloys, with fine pitched bolts. (The alloy corrodes much quicker than the traditional British sand casting alloys, but the die-cast ones don't have dirty great holes in them)

Pop down your local fastener supplier and get a couple of each

The bolts are knackered but its raining so have abandoned for the day. Freezing and hacked off.

The old man is coming over in the week with a Dremel so should be able to get them out. There is not enough room to get a drill behind the plate and get it square onto the head to drill them out.

If all else fails then I will blow lamp them as suggested, thanks for the tip.

More
09 Feb 2013 12:31 #61672 by kirkynut
You need a set of these:

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/detai...-piece-bolt-grip-set

They are the tool you need for removing nuts or bolts that have rounded.

Then once you have got it out you can take it to compare to the ones in Halfords or to the fasteners to get replacements.

If they sheer however, you'll be buggered and will need new wheel cylinders -but they are not that expensive anyway. A motor factor may even stock the bolts if you have to get new cylinders. It's certainly not worth trying to drill the bolts out of cylinders for the cost of new cylinders.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2013 12:43 #61674 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Re: Help! - Rear brake cylinder bolt size needed!

kirkynut wrote: You need a set of these:

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/detai...-piece-bolt-grip-set

They are the tool you need for removing nuts or bolts that have rounded.

Then once you have got it out you can take it to compare to the ones in Halfords or to the fasteners to get replacements.

If they sheer however, you'll be buggered and will need new wheel cylinders -but they are not that expensive anyway. A motor factor may even stock the bolts if you have to get new cylinders. It's certainly not worth trying to drill the bolts out of cylinders for the cost of new cylinders.

Kirkynut

Thanks. I've got new cylinders anyway as I am going the whole hog and rebuilding the rear brakes. No messing around now :evil:

I know the size now so I will order some decent grade stainless bolts.

More
09 Feb 2013 13:36 #61680 by facade

GuardianAngel wrote: I know the size now so I will order some decent grade stainless bolts.

They will seize rock solid into the alloy by the time that you have got the wheels back on. :ohmy:

Never use stainless into alloy without a good coat of an electrically isolating thread coating.

Cadmium plated or zinc passivate is more usual.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds