BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

a few jimny issues

• jimny1971
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2011 16:51 - 26 Jan 2011 16:54 #10386 by jimny1971
a few jimny issues was created by jimny1971
Hi all

i have a few issues with my jimny which ive had for a year and hope you can help

1. Heater ive had this problem where its just blowing warmish air out ive replaced the therostat flushed the system out.
While driving on a flat normal road gauge goes to 1/2 perfect but when traveling down hill drops to 1/4 even 0 then goes back up when driving again theres no pressure in the system even after a long drive take the cap off nothing
ive checked for leaks in the oil and for any leaks in the system and nothing any ideas

2. hadbrake
when i take the hand brake off the light dimms dosent go off completely (sometimes it will) but most of the time it wont ive tried disconecting from the hand brake but still stays on checked the levels all ok any ideas

3. reverse light dont work looked under bonnet and and can see the wires comming out to the gearbox but thats it its been diconnected but cant see any wires on where it reconnects to in the engine bay does any one have a pic on where they reconnect to

thanks all hope you guys can help me
Last edit: 26 Jan 2011 16:54 by jimny1971.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2011 15:05 #10473 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: a few jimny issues
1) I think I've read that the heater air pipes under the dash can get kicked off but someone else will need to confirm that. This would limit the amount of hot air coming out of the vents.

My temp gauge sits at half once warm and doesn't move. I have the digital gauge and diagnostic box Martin has and it is running 10 deg warmer than normal @ present as I have a bit of mud in my rad but the gauge still sits at 1/2. I don't know why yours differs. Is it a single or double cam engine?

In respect of the coolant system having no pressure when hot, change your rad cap as they are set to allow coolant into the expansion tank at a set pressure and the spring on yours might be weak.

Is it using coolant?

2) Have you fiddled with the switch on the hand brake lever? I had the same on my SJ and it was that. It's prob under the plastic surround. I think Martin shows you how to get that off in one of his guides.

3) The wires to the switch in the gearbox and the switch can probably be found on top of the gearbox by crawling under the car and looking back up at the top of the gearbox. I've just come in from working on it but plan to look at my gearbox tomorrow so I'll try to remember to look for you.

I take it you've changed the bulb?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
28 Jan 2011 15:10 #10474 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: a few jimny issues
1. Not the hoses getting kicked off, its the plastic arms where the cables operating the flaps that get kicked. Therefore you loose the ability to move the vent flaps.

2. Yes - fiddle with the switch

3. Check the wires as they are vulnerable to damage underneath the car. I have had a switch fail as well.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• jimny1971
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2011 15:14 #10476 by jimny1971
Replied by jimny1971 on topic Re: a few jimny issues
hi kirkynut

1. i bought a new rad cap today as the other had to splits in it but the problem is still there ive checked all the rad pipes the top ones are nice and warm inc the heater pipes but the bottom rad pipe is stone cold im out of ideas on this one

2. yes ive had the hand brake cowel off unplugged the switch but it just stays dim but berfore when i was running the car looking at the coolant system it was off

switched the engine off and on and the light was back on again

3. the wire comes from the gear box ends in a terminal clip but thats it ive looked on the wiring loom at back of engine and cant see any where where it plugs into

• jimny1971
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2011 15:15 #10477 by jimny1971
can you post pics on this site?

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2011 20:13 #10497 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: a few jimny issues
yes theres a box to add attachments when you write a reply.

More
29 Jan 2011 09:46 #10510 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: a few jimny issues
The bottom hose is supposed to be stone cold this weather, if the gauge reads near half way the engine is normal.

I have a picture of the heater levers on mine, likely it is set to half heat and screen/feet

Attachment heater_2011-01-29.jpg not found

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

• jimny1971
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2011 11:51 #10524 by jimny1971
hers the pic of the heater controls from mine the 1st one its on hot is that right

second pic is the heater above is this 1 ok?

3rd pic is the wire from the gear box which is for the reverse lights
Attachments:

More
29 Jan 2011 13:01 #10529 by kirkynut
I was nearly right, I knew I read something about something being kicked off!

Good luck then, I'm all out of suggestions I'm afraid then!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• paulnb57
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2011 21:06 #10570 by paulnb57
Replied by paulnb57 on topic Re: a few jimny issues
Just a thought regarding the handbrake light. My guess is that something else is earthing through the hand brake warning light circuit, like when you have a bad earth on an indicator and a brake light (or similar) flashes on and off dimly with the indicators. God knows how to suss it though!!.........Poor earth somewhere??

Good Luck

Paul

More
30 Jan 2011 12:01 #10610 by kirkynut
It could be a break in the insulation to the live wire going to the switch causing it to earth somewhere else to vaguely complete the circuit, hence the dimness. That will be a bugger to find though!

Kirkynut

• jimny1971
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2011 18:51 #11189 by jimny1971
just a update guys after a good root under the bonnet i found where the reverse lights had been disconnected plugged the wires together and works a treat

had brake light has gone off now after a mess with the wiring loom

heater still same :(

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds