BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Considering wax oil treatment,

More
21 May 2024 08:27 #256025 by Porthos
Has anyone gone down the wax oil treatment road. Mine can be done for around £500 locally. Is it worth doing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2024 08:54 #256027 by DrRobin
Most people who intend keeping their Jimny go for underbody treatment. In addition to Waxoyl there is also Dinitrol and Lanoguard.

I am considering Dinitrol for my Jimny, but make sure the place doing the job properly cleans and dries the underneath first, this is usually a 2 day job.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
21 May 2024 11:16 #256033 by Soeley
I believe Lanogaurd and Waxoyl need redoing every 12 to 24 months. Dinitrol is much harder wearing, is jetwash proof and only needs touching up if you manage to scrape some off, on rough ground.
When I had mine done in 2019, the garage offered a free anual inspection and touch up, if required 

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 May 2024 19:25 #256040 by Lambert
I use waxoyl and am aware that it needs a top up every year on high abrasion surfaces like the leading edges of axles and in the wheel Wells but that's to be expected on a working vehicle. The rest is as good as when I applied it 3 years ago.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 May 2024 11:32 #256048 by Busta
That depends on what sort of job they are going to do. To do it properly they will need to remove the wheels, arch liners, headlights, both bumpers and the exhaust backbox. £500 would be reasonable for an extensive job, but expensive for someone to quickly spray some waxoyl around the bits they can see.
I'd also recommend something better than waxoyl if you're not planning on topping it up every so often.

More
22 May 2024 12:26 #256049 by Roger Fairclough
The Gen.4 has extensive underbody treatment and a 12 year anti-corrosive treatment. This needs a check every a2 months but my local main agent told me that Suzuki would accept the stamp of a reputable dealer if I didn't want to pay £40-50 at the Suzuki dealer.
Last year I started to paint the underbody with bitumastic paint but gave up half way along when I saw how thick the Suzuki protection was. I might finish it this year, primarily because there is a small amount of rust on the front axle. It's nothing to worry about, but I am a pedantic sod and I don't like the colour of rust.

Roger

More
22 May 2024 18:38 - 22 May 2024 18:38 #256051 by lightning
After four years our Gen 4 still looks new underneath. l did spray everything l could get to, with a clear wax product to prevent surface rust on things like suspension parts.
Last edit: 22 May 2024 18:38 by lightning.

More
23 May 2024 15:18 #256058 by Porthos

After four years our Gen 4 still looks new underneath. l did spray everything l could get to, with a clear wax product to prevent surface rust on things like suspension parts.

After considering the comments submitted, I may just go for a light touch approach because of the seemingly sound Suzuki coatings. I may stick with waxoil as I've used this to good effect on past vehicles. The kits availble to do this are reasonably priced and affordable to be able to do this approach more frequently. I just have to tap a mate of mine up to be able to borrow his ramps. Thanks for your comments.  

More
23 May 2024 18:55 - 23 May 2024 18:56 #256060 by Soeley
I have taken these screen shots from a Facebook group I'm on.
3 year old Gen4 with 20,000 miles on the clock.

I must admit, I didn't see any thick protection under mine before I had it done.

*Not my Jimny*

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 May 2024 18:56 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 May 2024 03:26 #256061 by Lambert
I wouldn't be happy either if that were mine or indeed if I were looking to buy it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 May 2024 07:57 #256062 by Roger Fairclough
The pictures clearly show the underseal but also show the areas that have been missed, and this is clearly unacceptable. If it was mine, I would question the dealers attitude to the problem as it should have been noted at the yearly inspection. This is assuming that it was serviced by a Suzuki dealer!

Roger

More
24 May 2024 09:40 #256063 by Busta
Roger, are you suggesting that yours has underseal in the areas that have been "missed" here?

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds