BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Yokohama Geolandar

• AJ
  • Topic Author
    Registered
More
23 Jan 2024 22:15 - 23 Jan 2024 22:19 #253706 by AJ
Yokohama Geolandar was created by AJ
I'm looking at replacing all the tyres on my 2019 SZ5. The original Bridgestones are still OK regarding tread but they are becomming more and more 'slippery' even ordinary traffic islands at fifteen MPH can be interesting when going slightly sideways! It's fun but scares my lady.
The tyres that consistantly seem to get the best reviews and feedback for a Jimny thats mainly used on the road to get to interesting places that then may require a little more traction. I like photography and often head out into the hills when it snows, getting to out of the way places for my macro photography also requires some care and good  grippy tyres are essential if I'm not to spend the night there. I'm thinking these  Geolanders may be a good choice but would like a little confirmation from those who are more knowledgeable than myself  www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/yokohama/...H/96/m?tyre=35841793
Many thanks for any advice

Last edit: 23 Jan 2024 22:19 by AJ. Reason: Correct errors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2024 22:29 #253708 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Yokohama Geolandar
YES the Geolanders are GOOD I have had set set or 2 on my 2 jimnys and good traction got 35k on it , in hills and snow and green lanes in N/WALES
The following user(s) said Thank You: AJ

More
23 Jan 2024 22:30 - 23 Jan 2024 22:38 #253709 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Yokohama Geolandar
I have Geolander fitted, I am mostly road use and for the few days it's snows, every now and again the odd track and muddy field.
They have been unstoppable on the snow and great in every day use. My go-to tyre, will be fitting again when they go bald.
Jimny on Geolanders in the snow
Never had an issue in the wet or when towing, so good tyre.
I suspect better exist for true off road, but good enough for my use.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 23 Jan 2024 22:38 by Scimike.

• AJ
  • Topic Author
    Registered
More
23 Jan 2024 23:04 #253711 by AJ
Replied by AJ on topic Yokohama Geolandar
Thank you gv42, I'm in the Welsh Marches, many hills and lanes to explore. Your reply has helped a lot. The link I posted, are the tyres the correct size etc for a 2019 SZ5.

• AJ
  • Topic Author
    Registered
More
23 Jan 2024 23:07 #253712 by AJ
Hi Scimike,

Thank you so much for your reply, thats exactly what I was trying to find out. Is the link I posted the correct size etc for my gen 4 2019 Jimny.

More
23 Jan 2024 23:10 #253713 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Yokohama Geolandar
I had Geolandars after Dueller ATs, they were much better and ideally suited to a Jimny that spends most of its time on the road with the odd trip off road on a track or grass.

When I started going off road more, I bought a second set of wheels and fitted Hancook Dynapros, intending to use those for winter/off road and switch back to Geolandars for other times. There wasn’t enough of a difference between Geolandars and Dynapros so swapped the Geolandars for Maxxis worm-drive.

The Geolandars were still like new so sold the tyres to someone who was putting them on a camper van conversion, he couldn’t believe his luck to find a good set.

So yes, I recommend them.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• AJ
  • Topic Author
    Registered
More
23 Jan 2024 23:21 #253714 by AJ
Hi Robin,

Thank you too, I'm so grateful to everyone on here, it was a few posts here that made me think Geolanders were the correct choice for my needs, You have just confirmed this, the Jimny is our main car,. it puts a smile on our faces whenever we use it! It has to be versatile so is used for shopping trips and trips into the hills along lanes that haven't seen any repairs for years, the grass growing in the middle of themm keeps the underside of Jimny nice and clean! Often have to pull off the hard surface to let lesser vehicles pass, the original tyres are now starting to slip a lot in such situations. Thank you Robin, going to order some shortly methinks, sound ideal for our needs and will help keep both us and Jimny safe.

Adrian

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2024 07:35 #253718 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Yokohama Geolandar
I've been quite impressed with them, although it hadn't snowed here.  Some people report that they go hard and less grippy after two years.

• AJ
  • Topic Author
    Registered
More
24 Jan 2024 17:50 #253724 by AJ
Thanks for your input rogerzilla, much appreciated. I think part of the problem with my bridgestones is that the compounds have hardened, I'm hoping these new tyres will be better. They Geolandars seem to offer good value at the price point so will go with them I think.

Adrian

• AJ
  • Topic Author
    Registered
More
24 Jan 2024 18:29 #253726 by AJ
Now ordered !

More
25 Jan 2024 14:23 - 25 Jan 2024 14:30 #253741 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Yokohama Geolandar

l've been told that the new Jimny takes 195/80R15 and not the 205/70R15 mentioned above.

Yokohama don't seem to sell the  Geolander in 195/80R15
ls it okay to fit the 205/70R15?

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jan 2024 14:30 by lightning.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2024 17:43 - 25 Jan 2024 17:45 #253747 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Yokohama Geolandar
There is quite a big difference in rolling diameter. The speedo will over-read even worse than normal and revs will be much higher for actual road speeds.

Blackcircles have the G015 in 195/70R15.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2024 17:45 by rogerzilla.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds