BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Re:Re:Steering wheel slightly off centre.

More
25 Sep 2023 09:06 #251007 by lightning
The steering wheel drifted off centre a little during the first few thousand miles on our 2020 Jimny.

lt's been like this for 10,000 miles now.

The vehicle drives fine, the steering doesn't wander and the front tyres are wearing evenly.

ls it okay to centre the wheel with a small adjustment to the steering tie bar? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Sep 2023 09:14 #251009 by Lambert
Yes adjustment is on the drag link. Don't take the steering wheel off as you can damage the clock spring cable inside.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Sep 2023 15:05 #251016 by jackonlyjack

More
26 Sep 2023 10:33 - 26 Sep 2023 10:40 #251023 by lookonimages
If it is gen4. Please note the steering wheel have electronic adjuster.
Steering angle sensor (SAS)
You can adjust how much you want underneath. The steering wheel will always return to calibrated position.

And yes Suzuki can adjust it with a notebook, i have had mine adjusted by a service centre that have a notebook to access on-board setting.

If you have a liftkit that completly change everything and liftkit will always change the steering wheel to be off centre. We have the T shirt on this one. Foose decided to document the process with below video

You can also check my post or search it here. "Jimny pulling right". It contain all research into gen4 steering wheel off centre and the intricacies of the SAS
Last edit: 26 Sep 2023 10:40 by lookonimages.

More
26 Sep 2023 20:30 #251027 by mlines
Sorry, I do not see an electronic adjuster anywhere in the steering system.

The manual shows it to be an entirely mechanical steering system at heart so the "real" adjustment is the adjuster bar under the front.

If you adjust this so that the steering wheel is straight when the wheels are straight then you are fine.

There is a steering position sensor that senses the steering wheel is centred and a rotation torque sensor to tell the computer that the steering is turning. This is used to vary the amount of power steering you get depending on the angle you are steering.

So it would appear to me that you mechanically adjust the steering and it will be fine. If you dismantle the steering wheel itself or the components around it then you may have to get the steering sensor portion piston set to centre so that the power steering is balanced

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
27 Sep 2023 17:49 #251048 by lookonimages
I understand what you say but the gen4 in SA have a steering angle sensor.

See videos here showing how the steering wheel re-centre to the angle on steering sensor.

Maybe look at the video I referenced or check my posts.

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...ight?start=12#238252

Also use the obd2 SZ viewer shows it.

If the Steering angle sensor show 7degrees after lift ,they set it to via laptop to cancel out the 7degrees. Then steering will always return to 100% horizontal.

So you welcome to not believe it, for us it work 100%.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
27 Sep 2023 19:49 - 27 Sep 2023 19:52 #251049 by mlines
I agree it has an angle sensor but you described an angle adjuster, it does not have any angle adjuster. You have to under some circumstances have to reset the angle sensor but the adjustment of the steering itself is purely physical.

After the lift the Angle readout does show a variation of around 7 degrees. You simply get under the car and adjust the bar until it is back at zero, you do not electronically reset it

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Last edit: 27 Sep 2023 19:52 by mlines.

More
27 Sep 2023 19:53 #251050 by mlines
I have one to do over the weekend so will record it

Martin

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2023 20:06 - 27 Sep 2023 20:07 #251051 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:Steering wheel slightly off centre.
Soon cars will have drive-by-wire steering (some Infiniti cars already do, but there is a backup steering column, not normally connected) and it really will be possible to centre the wheel with a laptop.  Awful thought, but manufacturers are bent on removing all physical linkages.  It does give packaging and mantenance benefits and is normal in aircraft.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2023 20:07 by rogerzilla.

More
27 Sep 2023 21:44 #251052 by facade

See videos here showing how the steering wheel re-centre to the angle on steering sensor.

If the Steering angle sensor show 7degrees after lift ,they set it to via laptop to cancel out the 7degrees. Then steering will always return to 100% horizontal.

Are you saying that even if you wind the track rod until the wheel is centred, when you turn the ignition on the steering turns itself to 7 degrees?
Then if you reset the angle sensor with the wheel centred as soon as you power on it goes to 7 degrees?
So the solution is to hold the wheel at -7 and reset the angle sensor to zero, so -7 becomes zero, then when you power on the wheel turns to the re-calibrated +7 degrees, which is actually horizontal?

I wonder if it is something to do with the suspension height sensor and it is somehow calculating where the straight ahead would be with the axle at that level?

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Sep 2023 03:28 #251053 by Lambert

Soon cars will have drive-by-wire steering (some Infiniti cars already do, but there is a backup steering column, not normally connected) and it really will be possible to centre the wheel with a laptop.  Awful thought, but manufacturers are bent on removing all physical linkages.  It does give packaging and mantenance benefits and is normal in aircraft.

Not necessarily as bad a thing as you think in that it would require a change in the law to remove the need for a speed restriction n vehicles without a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the road wheels which effectively legalises full hydraulic steering meaning that a road going buggy would be possible with a super flexible 4 link front axle.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Sep 2023 06:07 #251054 by mlines

facade wrote:

I wonder if it is something to do with the suspension height sensor and it is somehow calculating where the straight ahead would be with the axle at that level?

No height sensor on the LCV which is now the most common version

Martin

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds