BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Up grade air flow system

More
20 May 2023 15:10 #249197 by Ethan1
Hi everyone
Just wondering has anyone ever upgraded the air flow system on a Suzuki Jimny to a induction kit/cone filter ?  Maybe it will add a small amount of power? If not it will just look cool under the bonnet? 

I have a 2007 Jimny 

Thanks 
​​​​​

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2023 18:40 #249201 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Up grade air flow system
In my humble experience of these devices I don't believe it will do much to the performance in real terms, but It may sound faster if you can hear the induction over the general Jimny rattle's.
It's not such a good idea if you like wading through water, but if you are road biased and like the look why not, enjoy your Jimny

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ethan1

More
20 May 2023 18:48 #249202 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Up grade air flow system
If anything you'll lose a bit of power. The standard intake picks up cool air from in front of the radiator. A cone filter will get warm air from under the bonnet. Warm air is bad for power.
If you want it for the looks and sound, that's a different matter.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 May 2023 19:49 - 22 May 2023 03:25 #249204 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Up grade air flow system
Stock they pull air from behind the off side headlight up through a convoluted pipe in the top of the wing and through into the air box. I looked into an induction style to remove the pipe in the wing but then changed to my current Jimny before I amassed parts. I may have another go eventually but ultimately it's all limited by the throttle body opening.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 22 May 2023 03:25 by Lambert.

More
21 May 2023 20:51 #249213 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Up grade air flow system
There are definitely gains to be made over the standard setup, which has been made with practicality and low noise in mind rather than performance. I have a couple of spare airboxes, so I might try drilling one. It will still be drawing in air from the same part of the engine bay, albeit 2 inches lower, and it will remove the convoluted mess of pipes behind the wing that Lambert mentions.

More
22 May 2023 15:40 - 22 May 2023 15:42 #249221 by jackonlyjack
you need  x2 57mm o/d 1d elbows some 57mm i/d hose
then route it in front of radiator.......or anywhere you choose 

this removes the convoluted madness giving lots more flow 
Last edit: 22 May 2023 15:42 by jackonlyjack.

More
22 May 2023 17:12 #249222 by Busta

So I've drilled a 64mm hole in the air box. First impressions are it let's a lot more noise out! Hard to tell if it's improved performance, but the sound alone makes it feel sportier. I've lost my OBD dongle but when I find that I'll do some back to back 3rd gear pulls to see if it makes any difference to performance.
Attachments:

More
22 May 2023 20:37 #249225 by Busta
I couldn't find the dongle but I downloaded a performance app and did a couple of 0-100kmh runs. Now, this is not very scientific as it's just an app using phone GPS and I took it fairly easy on the start, but the results do correlate with how it feels. 12 seconds with the hole open, 12.8 second with it taped up. I'd say that's significant and worthwhile improvement for a 5 minute modification!

Bear in mind my Jimny has a 1.6 and they always feel a bit strangled at higher rpm compared to the revvy 1.3. Drilling this hole seems to have fixed that.
Attachments:

More
22 May 2023 21:04 #249226 by Scimike
I still stand by my humble opinion for a Standard Jimny, it's not going to do much.
​​​​​
The air filter system on the Jimny is designed for a 1.3 N/A engine,  the air filter system designed by Suzuki for the 1.6 is different.
What you have is a 1.6 with a Jimny 1.3 air filter system, it's likely it will impede the air flow for the 1.6.  I wouldn't want the original poster to believe it's instantly going to give more performance.

Not being a fun sponge. At my advanced age I've spent plenty of cash on go faster modifications and most didn't 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
22 May 2023 21:13 - 22 May 2023 21:58 #249227 by Busta
Replacement air boxes are available for as little as £12 on eBay, so there's absolutely no harm in trying! If someone gives it a go on a standard Jimny and shares their findings we will all know forever more.
Last edit: 22 May 2023 21:58 by Busta.

More
22 May 2023 21:42 #249228 by Scimike
Agreed.
Happy to be proven wrong and I would be the first drilling holes. Every bhp counts with my caravan on the back 
What is the function of the G3 under wing plumbing, anyone know?
I like to think it's some form of water ingress prevention system, but then it could be for any reason, I simply don't know.
What I do know is Suzuki don't fit anything just for the hell of it, so what's it's function?

More
22 May 2023 21:55 - 22 May 2023 21:56 #249229 by Busta
As far as I can tell it's simply a resonator, to reduce induction noise. There is no element of it that would stop water ingress. At first glance it looks like it's been designed with routing to a snorkel in mind, but the path to the rear section is even more restrictive so that seems unlikely.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 May 2023 21:56 by Busta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds