BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

SZ5 or LCV

• Jonesie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2023 11:47 #247510 by Jonesie
SZ5 or LCV was created by Jonesie
Hello knowledgeable ones.

I am new to the Jimny fraternity.
I have had a v6 Vitara in the past and currently own a couple of defenders, one of which I am thinking of selling to fund a Jimny.

The Jimny won’t be our main vehicle just something for nipping around with the dog in etc.

So the conundrum I am having is do I buy a late SZ5 or go for a new LCV?
They are both about the same sort of money although I recognise the various trim details / seats / wheels etc between the models.

The other question I have is will the chain issue on the transfer box still be a potential issue on a 22 model year or have they now upgraded them?

Thanks for your time.

Jonesie 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2023 12:39 #247511 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic SZ5 or LCV
I suppose the questions to ask yourself are

- Do I need rear seats (possibly not if you have other cars);

- Is there a waiting list where you are for a new LCV (might well be in the UK);

- Are you happy to pay more than list price for a SZ5 that might be 3 years old?

I seldom use the rear seats in my Gen 3, but if I was buying a new [ish] Jimny I would have to think long and hard about the LCV (no seats) and lower level of equipment.

In years to come resale value of the LCV may well be below the SZ5.

Martin might be the man to advise, he has both SZ5 & LCV, so could probably let you know the drawbacks of each.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
10 Feb 2023 13:35 #247519 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic SZ5 or LCV
The chain issue I can't answer. Although there are some bulletins pinned in the technical forum. I think these would be valid almost no matter the age of the vehicle, not just within warranty if it is an accepted design issue, aka a problem existing before the vehicle was sold. That said, I can't see it being a deal breaker problem even if the issue does exist. It doesn't stop anything working and you can test drive before buying.

In terms of spec.

TBH I'd probably never have gone down the Jimny route if it was just the LCV. Although oddly I'd buy a pickup. I think the LCV is that mix of almost being far more usable and scuppered at the last min.

Having the rear seats is most useful, although you may know you'll never have need of them. But there is plenty of leg and head room, although a little cosy sideways perhaps. But full grown adults can use them without issue.

Although I'd say it is the other things too. The LED headlights are fricken awesome on the SZ5 and alone where worth the price difference from the SZ4 pretty much. I understand the LCV is essentially an SZ4.

I also really like the touchscreen, I almost exclusively use Apple CarPlay, but there is no need for phone holders or extra SatNavs.

Not sure what else you don't get. I like the heated seats and the climate control (is it just basic AC in the LVC?). And while steel wheels are cool, the alloys look nicer IMO.

I also added the reversing camera to mine, not essentially, but a nice upgrade. But you'd need the touchscreen to have this.

I think the steering wheel is leather wrapped only on the SZ5 which is a nice tactile difference. Plus you get cruise control and a programmable speed limiter which I find both quite handy.

I also find the automatic lights to be very good. They would never have been a deal breaker for me. But having now had them they are quite handy and driving something without them does feel old fashioned, to the point that you can forget to turn them off. The auto mainbeam is also brilliant on B roads and the like. It just lets you get on with driving. Although they aren't so good on dual carriage ways and bypass style roads. But easy to disable at those times.

The LCV is cool and at least allowed the Jimny to continue to be on sale (despite it being about the cleanest 4x4 on sale anyway....). But unless there is a good tax benefit, I'm unclear on why you'd go for one over an SZ5 if they are the same money. I guess the SZ5 might be a year or so older. I believe you could make an SZ5 more van like if you needed the partition cage and a different floor too.

More
10 Feb 2023 13:59 #247521 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic SZ5 or LCV
I agree with just about everything that 300bhpton has said apart from the rear legroom and the wheels. I need my seat all the way back so rear legroom was for children only and as I don't have any of those the rear seats went and a box came. Wheels come into the category of like or dislike and the standard alloys are a nice design but the steels I have look better especially with the Goodrich A/T tyres. But then again, this is a pure preference.

Roger

More
10 Feb 2023 15:23 #247526 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic SZ5 or LCV
We have both an SZ5 and an LCV in the family. 

Before I got the LCV, I was not enthusiastic about it. I saw it as a step backwards. However I was too late to get an SZ5 of my own so had to go with the LCV. It was bought "unseen" ie. I did not view or drive one before buying it.

However I have fallen in love with it. It is so practical for my lifestyle. Throw stuff in the boot and whizz around town. It holds the dogs, shopping, DIY etc. I would not have thought I could like a van so much. The lower trim spec is not noticed at all now (we have tinted the glass and fitted SZ5 wheels)

Our SZ5 four seater is often in 2 seat configuration anyway so may as well be a 2 seater.

Overall there is little difference in everyday use terms between the two. They are both effectively two seaters. Our LCV seems to have more "whizz" than the SZ5 for some reason.

LCV downsides:

1. Not allowed in some council car parks that have intelligent entry barriers ("No commercial vehicles")
2. Commercial road tax and insurance.
3. No rear seats if you have kids (although at least you can cage them in!)
4. Some people find the driver seating position uncomfortable (I am happy and I am 5' 11")
5. Halogen headlamps are dimmer

The LCV has most of the gadgets such LIDAR system, Auto Headlights, Hill descent and ESP. 

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
10 Feb 2023 16:26 #247531 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic SZ5 or LCV
I have the rubber mat in the back of mine. It makes the floor pretty flat and usable to chuck stuff in.

Of course I don't have the caged partition and there is a slightly higher lip due to having the rear storage box. Otherwise I'd say the loading capacity and ease look to be very very similar.

The rubber mat rolls up small enough to stow behind the rear seats. And bam! You have a 4 seater instantly.

Oh and did I mention the LED headlights...

I've driven other new cars with LED headlights (MINI, new Defender) and they haven't been a patch on the Jimnys.

However it must be said. The LCV and SZ5 are largely the same vehicle. They will drive the same and have the same overall capability. So you probably won't go wrong with either. But as a daily vehicle, I do like the comforts the SZ5 offers.

More
10 Feb 2023 16:43 - 10 Feb 2023 16:45 #247532 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic SZ5 or LCV
I'm an LCV owner.  

Depending on how handy you are, it's possible to upgrade many elements to SZ5 spec.  Wheels are easy of course, and the steering wheel can be upgraded to leather (a used Swift wheel from Ebay is a cheaper option than a new Jimny SZ5 leather wheel from the dealer).

The radio can be changed for the SZ5 type but (controversial opinion) the Bosch SLDA unit is really rather out of date these days and better options are available for less in the aftermarket.  There are even units with larger 9" screens that are specifically styled to fit in the Jimny's dashboard.  Spend some time on Aliexpress if you want to see what cheap radios and other accessories are available for those patient enough for overseas shipping.

In contrast to Martin, I found the seating position in the LCV absolutely miserable until I took out the "child cage."  Then, no problem, plenty of headroom for me and I'm 1.9m. 

One thing not mentioned above is that the LCV has only two airbags; the SZ5 is much the safer car in my opinion.  The LCV does have all of the other active safety stuff, though, like emergency auto braking and so on.

Most everything else is fairly minor I think.  In my country the LCV model comes with heated seats, but at least one person on the forum has retrofitted them to a UK LCV that didn't have them, so no problem there if it's important to you.  Heated mirrors are easy to fit.  I never drive above about 90kph so I don't miss the LED headlights.  The SZ5 headlight squirters would be nice, but I've managed without them so far.

Don't worry about mechanical issues.  DO worry about rust-- budget for Dinitrol, whichever version you get.

I would bet that your dog would like the carpeted load area of the LCV more than he would like sliding around on the folded seatbacks of the SZ5...

Good luck, and let us know what you get!
Last edit: 10 Feb 2023 16:45 by Motacilla.

More
10 Feb 2023 21:40 #247541 by DJ20
Replied by DJ20 on topic SZ5 or LCV
Thinking of selling my 2020 SZ5 n the near future. It’s black and has done about 23,000 miles. Full Suzuki service history. A few extras would be included. Would be looking for £24500. I’m in East Sussex. Anyone interested let me know.

More
10 Feb 2023 21:47 - 10 Feb 2023 21:48 #247543 by DJ20
Re above:
Here’s a photo:

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Feb 2023 21:48 by DJ20.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motacilla

• Jonesie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2023 21:33 #247650 by Jonesie
Replied by Jonesie on topic SZ5 or LCV
Thanks for your replies everyone on your great forum.
Went For DJ20’s SZ5 in the end and having spent the last 33 years driving defenders I have realised I have missed a lot of innovation and let’s not even talk about my back !

More
17 Feb 2023 06:08 - 17 Feb 2023 06:09 #247651 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic SZ5 or LCV
Congratulations!
Sounds like you will be pleased.

Not a direct similarity, but I bought the "wrong" jimny as my 2005 had bad flat front seats and rear seats that didn't fold flat in the back and a plastic steering wheel.
Two of my favourite mods on the car is changing to better more buckety front leather seats and rears that folds flat in the back, and my leather steering wheel :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2023 06:09 by yakuza.

More
17 Feb 2023 09:05 - 17 Feb 2023 09:05 #247652 by DJ20
Nice Jimny! 
Last edit: 17 Feb 2023 09:05 by DJ20.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds