BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Re:What happens when low life attempts to steel Tonka?

More
03 Feb 2023 22:58 #247338 by Roger Fairclough
Last night low life cut there way into both sides of the side panels of my neighbours van so that they could access the sliding door mechanism. They got nothing as he removes his kit each night. We did not see the intruder lights come on and we heard nothing. Tonight Tonka sleeps in the back garden with padlocks on the gate.
My question is, what does the alarm system do if it is activated and what do they have to do to activate it? (Gen 4 Jimny)

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Feb 2023 05:03 #247340 by Lambert
If they want your car they will likely want it undamaged so will probably break into your home for the keys. With the neighbours van they were after the tools so they didn't care about the damage to the vehicle.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Feb 2023 08:50 - 04 Feb 2023 08:51 #247341 by Scimike
I was under the impression it was / is an engine immobilizer system rather than a "wah wah" type intruder alarm. 

If you have concerns and want to do something:
​​​​​​Your best bet for home is a security camera system with motion activation / phone alerts, but you then need to sleep with your phone so it wakes you up if a low life is on your property.
I've have / tried a stand alone system / Blink / Ring doorbell, all alert you to the unwanted at various costs. A single camera Blink system is about the cheapest and works well enough, mount it to look at your car. If you are interested I can give you my experience of each.

It's true that if they want it they will take it, what you need to do is make it hard for them so they take someone else's.
Sorry about that "someone else", we rely on you doing nothing. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 04 Feb 2023 08:51 by Scimike.

More
04 Feb 2023 09:36 - 04 Feb 2023 09:37 #247342 by Soeley
If you unlock the door using the key, not the button on the fob it sets the alarm off. It sounds the car horn, not a separate one. So having replaced the horn with the  Stebel Nautilus it makes for a very loud alarm.
So I guess the same will happen if a window  is smashed to unlock from the inside or a screwdriver through the lock barrel. No motion sensor or vibration sensors though.

Last edit: 04 Feb 2023 09:37 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

More
04 Feb 2023 09:47 #247343 by jlines
I'm not really worried about my Jimnys given that they are rare and have been Modified so they are recognisable which would mean they would have to leave the UK or be broken up otherwise I or the Jimny community would find them. We do have steering locks fiited though as a just in case. Jimnys in general don't have the same desire as Land Rovers as the parts market isn't of high value to make it worth while and as they are rarer than other brands making it easier to spot the car as a whole. We did have someone try to take Bigjimny once but i think it would have gone for a joyride and been trashed or set on fire.

More
04 Feb 2023 09:48 #247344 by DrRobin
Thief’s looking for tools are probably less likely to steal a car, stealing anything is only part of the game, fencing the kit afterwards is the harder part and a car is easier to identify than a drill.

They might steal a top end car to sell on, otherwise it could well be for parts in which case they don’t care how much damage they do.

If your alarm goes off by the time you are up to have a look you might see someone but if go down and out they will be gone, possibly with your vehicle or leaving a damaged one and what are you going to do in dressing gown and slippers when there is 3 of them wearing boots and carrying tools of the trade?.

Most alarms/Immobilizers can be bypassed so the only real way is to keep it out of sight.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
05 Feb 2023 15:13 #247368 by Roger Fairclough
Thanks guys, much to think about. I am not worried about the house as we have top notch locks and the car keys are out of sight but Soeleys comment had me saying to myself, "next time read the handbook". Iwill speak to the dealer to check if the alarm includes an immobilizer and anything else.

Roger

More
05 Feb 2023 16:11 #247370 by Soeley
Roger, as far as I know there is an immobiliser as well.

More
05 Feb 2023 17:11 #247373 by mlines
Yes it has an immobiliser and alarm as standard

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
05 Feb 2023 17:49 #247375 by Roger Fairclough
Thankyou both. An immobiliser would be nice (maybe) but on a trip to the Isle of Wight in rough weather most of the cars started beeping and that included Vivs Audi, so maybe not.

Roger

More
05 Feb 2023 22:04 #247381 by LM42
Just pop the clutch cable off, under the plastic flap in the gearbox

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk

More
05 Feb 2023 23:00 #247382 by Roger Fairclough
Interesting idea, but the Gen.4 has a hydraulic clutch operation.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds