BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Importing a Jimny to the UK

More
31 Jan 2023 01:30 #247284 by arachnid
I'm looking at getting a Jimny in the UK, and given the scarce availability, I'm looking at the practicality of importing a new or lightly used one - probably the 660cc Kei car version. I'm concerned about emissions testing, though, and I haven't been able to get a straight answer on whether it will be tested, and if so to what standards.

Has anyone had success with importing a <10yo Jimny to the UK in the last couple of years?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2023 07:32 #247285 by Motacilla
You're right to be concerned about meeting regulations; I personally don't see how it's possible to import a new or newish vehicle that doesn't comply with UK/EU emissions and safety regs. A quick google turns up a page from HM Government that seems pretty clear on this.

You're definitely not going to save any money by going that route either, especially when you figure in customs and VAT.

I would say that this is not even worth wasting your time thinking about. But I'm no expert and will leave it to others to comment.

As a parting observation, I'll note that very nice examples of the Gen 4 Jimny come up for sale here with some regularity...

More
31 Jan 2023 07:53 - 31 Jan 2023 07:56 #247286 by mlines
There are a number of companies doing it, sorting the tax and inspection etc price seems to be equivalent to just below the current cost, I think it saved about £1000 when I looked

Its considered a personal import

There are at least a couple around on this forum?

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 31 Jan 2023 07:56 by mlines.

More
31 Jan 2023 07:58 #247287 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Importing a Jimny to the UK
If you buy a fairly new car, it is possible that the car itself meets the current emission limits. The reason for this is that the emission limits are usually negotiated between the gouvernements and the car manufactureres about what is technically possible also taking into account the cost. It would make no sense to have emission limits so low that no current engine can meet them. However, to save cost, car manufacturers build specific versions with lower emissions, as was required for e.g., California in the 70ties and before. 

Therefore, the manufacturer might be able to give you a written statement that this car with this specific VIN does meet the current local emission limits. Usually this statements cost around EUR300,- but it is still much cheaper than any emission testing.

More
31 Jan 2023 09:42 #247288 by 300bhpton
Importing in this way would go through the Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) process, not full type approval. Emissions testing on a standard modern car is unlikely to be an issue, as the IVA also caters for home built cars, kit cars and low volume production. So it does not test to the same standard as full EU Type Approval.

Other items would be tested at the same time for the IVA and there is lots of info, although as Martin says above. There are companies that will do this for you including the importing.

I'd be sceptical on how much you'd save and it would take time, months most likely to source, buy and import.

I can see that the Kei version has a bit of unique appeal. But don't forget it comes with a lot less power too. I'd have thought they may feel somewhat slow on UK roads, its not as if the regular 1.5 litre model is a fireball.

Also if you ever want to mod, the Kei version doesn't have the will spats and you can't have tyres sticking out of the arches in the UK, so might find it a bit more limiting.

More
31 Jan 2023 11:22 #247291 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Importing a Jimny to the UK
Warranty, servicing and parts might also be an issue as the Kei is not sold here, that could certainly eat in to any savings made.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds