BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

More tpms woes.

More
18 Oct 2022 13:23 #245475 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic More tpms woes.
My guess would be that either one sensor is not very strong, or it's output is not very 'clean' and the TPMS unit in the car mis-reads it.

Probably the best you can do is put the set of wheels on that all work for the MOT and just put a bit of tape over the light at all other times.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2022 07:32 - 22 Oct 2022 07:34 #245523 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic More tpms woes.
Years ago l had a 1989 Porsche 828 S4 and the TPMS never missed a beat on that.

I took it to Kwik Fit to have four new tyres fitted, the fitter took the tyres off and hammered the sensors off the rims, thinking they were some kind of balance weight.

lt cost them £2,000
Nothing was cheap on that Porsche.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2022 07:34 by lightning.

More
18 Dec 2022 22:28 #246448 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic More tpms woes.
MOT due shortly (for 2019 G4 model) and cold weather has been rather harsh all week. TPMS warning constantly flashing up and causing panic with family members - especially on regular runs to hospital. System sorts itself when outside temperature rises but then goes back to 'Warning' mode when we get close to freezing point. Checked tyre pressures and all tyre pressures are fine - Seriously irritating! Pragmatic solution sought and hoping MOT station doesn't fail vehicle if the ambient outside air temperature is close to freezing on MOT test day. Other than that I've been a happy Suzuki customer for the past 4 years

More
19 Dec 2022 17:29 #246455 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic More tpms woes.

System sorts itself when outside temperature rises but then goes back to 'Warning' mode when we get close to freezing point. 
Have you checked the tyre pressures when the TPMS warning is lit?  Not to state the obvious, but tyre pressure varies directly with temperature.  

That's why car forum TPMS posts always pop up around the end of fall / beginning of winter...  

More
19 Dec 2022 17:51 #246457 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic More tpms woes.
Does the TPMS show the actual pressure or just that it is below the minimum?

Would a tyre pressure below the minimum give rise to a MOT failure, surely the garage would check it with a relaible calibrated gauge, not relying on a £5 bit of electronics?

It could also be the sensor's ability to read accurately below 0C,

Do you only get the warning at start up? After a journey your tyres will warm up a bit?

Finally type pressure can decrease by as much as 10psi in really cold weather, so what is the minimum alarm level you can set?

It's a bit warmer just now, so if it goes after a decent trip, just take the long way to the MOT centre and hope they get your car in promptly.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
20 Dec 2022 11:43 #246463 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic More tpms woes.
When the temperature drops and I get the warning light, I just top up to the correct pressure while tyres are cold. That sorts it out. 

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Dec 2022 11:59 #246465 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic More tpms woes.
My tpms gives pressure to 3 decimal places in bar. They match my analogue guage quite closely and the readout on my inflator is usually within .25 bar. This is using SZ viewer.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Dec 2022 13:25 #246470 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic More tpms woes.
What does the TPMS say the pressures are? You can read them off the main display. Do they roughly match what you manually measure? Typically I had to increase the tyre pressures by about 3 psi just to compensate for summer v. winter temperatures

More
20 Dec 2022 20:58 #246474 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic More tpms woes.
Many thanks for your helpful tips. Interestingly the ambient outside air temperature has risen today and the problem seems to have gone away for now. The main display is reading 26 all round - so that seems ok to my eye. The reading was that at start up - although a run down the Motorway appears to get the tyres up to temp and then the warning goes automatically out. After leaving the Jimny to cool down at the destination, the warning light then reappears. Running around town (stop/start motoring), the warning light doesn't reset itself automatically. The old phrase 'technology looking for a home' comes to mind - TPMS adds zero benefits to my life! Thanks again to those who responded, I appreciate your thoughts.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds