BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Brake caliper sliding pin removal

More
28 Jul 2022 14:11 #244262 by gilburton
Can't find much info about getting stuck pins out and what info there is seems to be a bit old.
I just want to know if anyone has any good techniques to remove them?
I know you can get replacement pins but I'm still reluctant to bash them with a big hammer. I have tried that slightly but it just seems to turn the edges over.
Please note I don't have any heat equipment apart from a heat gun.
I just wondered if there were any good puller ideas and does this involve takeing the calipers off and put in a vice?? 
I don't need info on cleaning or replacing them just how the hell can you get them out

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2022 15:44 #244270 by mlines
The pin is a fairly loose believe it or not. Usually it is the rubbers that have expanded and jam the slider

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
28 Jul 2022 17:17 - 28 Jul 2022 17:19 #244272 by gilburton
I tried pulling the rubbers off but they seem stuck inside the hole both sides are you supposed to slide the pin a bit to one side get one off and then slide it the other way?? If I could get them off at least I might be able to get wd40 or similar on each end to try and free it off.
I started to replace the pads on what would be less than an hours job and found that the tyre fitter had obviously had his industrial size rattle gun turned up full and had to use a 6ft pipe to get the wheel nuts off so that didn;t start well then the caliper bolts were no problem but one pin is stuck out a smidgeon(technical term) so the caliper wouldn't clear and swing back into place with the new pads. The swearing started about then lol

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 28 Jul 2022 17:19 by gilburton.

More
28 Jul 2022 17:54 - 28 Jul 2022 17:57 #244273 by mlines

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 28 Jul 2022 17:57 by mlines.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jul 2022 19:01 #244276 by Lambert
I've had difficulty like this in the past and it was a pair of knipex cobra pliers that saved the day by working the slides rotationally over too long a period for the good of my mental health. It chews the ends but I had replacements. It's also worth having a bit of sandpaper on a stick to make an internal flap sander for the drill to clean up the caliper bores.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Jul 2022 18:14 #244337 by Velocette
Two methods. First is find a bolt about 5" long, grind or file the head down until it will fit over the pin but through the hole it fits in. A piece of pipe or a socket just larger that the pin, a suitable washer and nut and you have a custom extractor !! Any extra heat you can apply will help.
Second way is to thread a junior hacksaw blade through the pin, refit to the hacksaw frame and proceed carefully.
Guess which way worked for me.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds