BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

I'm trying something I shouldn't

More
04 Jun 2022 23:03 #243566 by Vandoni
Hello, I'm a new user of this forum and I've been lurking on here and getting a lot of useful answers from the posts you guys make, I have a gen 3 2000 Jimny 4WD and I've been using it for all the normal stuff like commuting and the occasional off-road trip.
These last few days though, I let my love for speed get to me and instead of only pulling during the straights I started going faster during turns as well (yes i know I shouldn't speed altogether, but I only do it when there's no one around) and I noticed that my RR tyre has started to whine a bit, that made me curious, so I started pushing even more. The result is: I think I'm starting to lightly drift with my little Jimny. Do you guys think it's possible to get a drift going and keep it drifting for some time? Or should I just give up? Also I like this challenge because I don't think a lot of people drift these magnificent cars on asphalt so I'd be one of the few able to do it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jun 2022 06:52 #243568 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. First a Jimny in good condition with fairly sensible and newish tyres should have more grip than it is able to overcome. Secondly because it's narrow and softly sprung and because of the thing with the SJ in America Suzuki deliberately engineered the Jimny to understeer first. Thirdly and this is quite important because of the very short wheel base the controllability of a slide is a very tight window of opportunity before you are into the scenery. I'm not saying a Jimny can't slide, they are good fun in snow or somebody else's field but on tarmac the level of commitment required vs the opportunity to get it very very wrong is too high. Also doing it on the road is recklessly endangering other people and will get you nicked.

This is my last Jimny with lower suspension trying quite hard on a track, certainly more so than any responsible person would on road and it's not sliding. 

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vandoni

More
05 Jun 2022 09:05 - 05 Jun 2022 10:35 #243569 by Scimike
In standard form the answer is no.
THe Jimny is too underpowered and has too much grip to sustain a drift.
Yes you can get under steer and invoke a rear slide if the conditions are favourable, but you will not sustain "drifting" for any distance.

That's not to say it can't be done though. Damp tracks are your friend to start with and the quick route to interesting handling is to fit some skinny or not so good tyres, your "drifting set". Unfortunately it's trial and error for this but thin rears are a good start. Please note I am not advocating you modify or try on the public roads, but great fun and have a go on a track day like Lambert.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 05 Jun 2022 10:35 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vandoni

More
05 Jun 2022 11:05 #243570 by Vandoni
Oh i understand, that seems right, I had some doubts about the whole thing because of how the car is structured as you said.
I don't live in america and mine is a european jimny (i don't know if this means that it's gonna understeer less) but i noticed that it is actually quite controllable while the rear tyres are screeching, and it started to lose rear traction completely a few time, although the tyres always regained it a second later.
And yes i understand that doing it on the road is dangerous but it's the first time i do this and i always wait for the road to be completely empty before trying something stupid, and i decided to try drifting the car on a dirt track next, since i have one near where i live.
Thanks for the answer!

More
05 Jun 2022 11:10 #243571 by Vandoni
You might be right about the whole power thing, the 1.3 engine really doesn't have a lot of power down low and I stayed in 3rd gear and kept the revs at 3k more or less so there might not have been enough torque to the wheels, though the car did lose traction for a fraction of a second a few times it regained it almost immediately, but the whole time i think the nose of the car was pointing the inside of the turn and not straight ahead like when i normally turn, could that maybe be a  resemblance of a 4 wheel drift?

More
05 Jun 2022 15:57 - 05 Jun 2022 16:09 #243574 by Scimike
Yes you can get the back end to step out if you are enthusiastic in the turn and push the throttle, but it's only going to be a momentary action until it  more than likely grips again.
The engine simply lacks power to offer any form of throttle control in a slide, and the high profile / soft suspension will rock shifting the weight pattern on each wheel, again making control hard. It's a sort of on / off situation offered by the Jimny, spin out or grip.

I Suspect a locker on the rear would help, but it's an expensive modification to find you still don't have enough power. That said it helps with off-road, so two functions for the price of one!
Anyone on here drift with the rear locker on?
Just asking, no experience of them myself.

And in the wet, when the road is quiet , I believe it may go around mini roundabouts particularly well , allegedly ;)

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 05 Jun 2022 16:09 by mlines.

More
05 Jun 2022 16:06 - 05 Jun 2022 16:12 #243575 by mlines
We have a locker.

Drifts beautifully on the right surface.

Once entered " fastest figure of eight" competition at a 4x4 event. It was aimed at classic land rovers which have a terrible turning circle and were driven by men in flat caps. It was designed to be a slow driving skill competition.

Jimny with locker engaged and revs on the limiter aced it in a fraction of the time of anyone else.

Was disqualified as "not in the spirit" although was told it was the most impressive lap they had ever seen.

Also, on the road in the wet when quiet, I believe it goes around mini roundabouts particularly well, allegedly ;)

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 05 Jun 2022 16:12 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darthblaker7474

More
08 Jun 2022 09:05 #243625 by facade
Be careful, it will roll onto its side if the back end swings out and clips a kerb or the verge whilst it is going sideways. (Highsiding the bikers call it)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
09 Jun 2022 21:31 - 09 Jun 2022 21:50 #243652 by Busta
3rd gear at 3krpm on dry tarmac? No chance!

This is 2nd gear on smooth dusty concrete, with a 1.6 and LSD.

Last edit: 09 Jun 2022 21:50 by Busta.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Jun 2022 22:37 - 09 Jun 2022 22:38 #243655 by Lambert
Loving your work there buddy!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 09 Jun 2022 22:38 by Lambert.

More
17 Jun 2022 21:00 #243760 by Darthblaker7474
A long time a go when I was a skint student and didn't want to replace my ageing tyres, I'd regularly be drifting around corners and spinning on mini roundabouts 

Did scare me when my missus at the time and I were on the dual carriage way and I had some grip issues! 

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds