BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Motorway driving

More
25 Jul 2021 11:14 #236953 by lightning
Motorway driving was created by lightning
We've done a fair bit of motorway driving in our 2020 Jimny, on Friday l did 240 miles to Anglesey and back.

Normally l set the cruise at 60-65mph and we still get there in good time, but on the way back l set it higher and was pleasantly surprised (having read the reviews that said "avoid motorways") the Jimny was fine.

l obviously didn't trouble the high speed "mini trains" of large SUV's in the outside lane, but it was nice to keep out of the way of the trucks.

The Jimny doesn't slow down on hills either, in fact at higher speeds the engine pulls better in fifth gear although it becomes a bit more vocal.

Averaging 70mph l still managed to do just under 40mpg.

Also there was a fairly strong crosswind and l experienced none of the "blown around like an empty paper bag" reports from some Jimny road tests.
One wonders what these people were doing with their road test vehicles, trying to keep up with outside lane traffic on the M25 maybe.

if you were at the maximum speed it might get a bit lively, but there were no issues passing trucks at motorway speeds.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Coco BT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2021 12:24 #236957 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Motorway driving
Yep, I've never quite understood the 'tales of terror' that some people post regarding the Jimny at motorway speeds. Have done plenty of motorway miles when the weather has been awful (50mph+ gusting winds) and sure you get a bit of movement, but it doesn't pick you up and plonk you in the next lane!

Perhaps it's just drivers who have grown up with hyper-capable modern cars and never 'enjoyed' the delights of 70s/80s crapboxes. 

More
25 Jul 2021 14:04 #236959 by Doctorchris
Replied by Doctorchris on topic Motorway driving
The JB74 Jimny simply needs concentration and a sympathy with and understanding of how it is constructed, in order to drive on motorways. I suspect that many of the young writers of reviews are used to modern cars where you sit back, dial in your speed on the cruise control, wind up the stereo and you're away.
I was fortunate enough to pass my test and clock up many miles in an 1147cc Triumph Herald. You never forget how some cars need a sympathetic touch after that.
My Jimny was at its best on the motorway in very heavy rain, darkness and in moderately heavy traffic, the winter before last. It stayed rock steady through heavy water on the carriageway, the view from the driving seat was incomparably good, it inspired confidence.

More
25 Jul 2021 21:23 #236974 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Motorway driving
My first car was a 1968 Herald 1200.

l was lucky enough to get the 48bhp version, some were 39bhp.
That car was great, particularly after l replaced the bushes in the remote gear linkage so there was no longer 2" of play in the lever when in gear.

l did around 15,000 miles in the Herald, before swapping it for a MK1 Vitesse 1600 Convertible. Much work followed. Soon l was a Triumph expert!!
The Vitesse was great fun but rotten underneath, you could lift the body an inch off the chassis at the front!

l sold that car in around 1983 (it's still around, must have been restored)
And bought a better MK2 Vitesse, but crashed that one into a tree sideways which left it looking like a banana.
lt was repaired but was never right after that (that car is still around as well)
I swapped that for a Spitfire 1500 in 1985.
The Spitfire was sold in 1986 when l went into business and needed a car that could carry TV sets and other items l was repairing.

More
25 Jul 2021 21:42 #236975 by Doctorchris
Replied by Doctorchris on topic Motorway driving
My Herald was a 1967 12/50. I did not realise, until today, that this upmarket model had an incomparable 51 bhp!
All that power to shift a kerb weight of 841kg.
Jimny JB74, twice the power to shift 1065kg.

More
25 Jul 2021 22:43 #236976 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Motorway driving
My first car was a 1963 Series 2A Land Rover. 67 raging horses from the 2.25 petrol lump....well, when new. When I got it in 1990 I'd imagine it had significantly fewer, but probably still more power than the Citroen 2CV that I passed my driving test in!

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jul 2021 06:00 #236980 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic Motorway driving
In 87 we went to pick up two sj413's in Rotterdam, drove them to Vlissingen, ferry to Tilbury, back up to MK.
Got into our own sj413, three up and luggage, drive to Stranraer, ferry to Larne, drove to Donegal over a couple of days.
Method for SJ driving on motorway, was to weld your right foot to the floor and let the vehicle decide on it's speed.
Also owned an lj80, hilariously slow on any road.
Hard to really get your head around older cars if you never drove them, I owned a Rover SD1 v8 when I was about 20, got 120mph on an A road after thrashing the hell out of it. My Isuzu Dmax diesel pick up will easily reach 100mph loaded with kit, would probably give some 80's sport salooks a run for their money.

More
26 Jul 2021 07:27 #236981 by lightning

My Herald was a 1967 12/50. I did not realise, until today, that this upmarket model had an incomparable 51 bhp!
All that power to shift a kerb weight of 841kg.
Jimny JB74, twice the power to shift 1065kg.

You lucky sod, having a 12/50. l used to dream of the 12/50 with the fabric sun roof. At least mine had the same engine and not the weedy 39bhp

More
26 Jul 2021 09:04 #236985 by Axholme Lion
Replied by Axholme Lion on topic Motorway driving
My first car was a red '79 Chrysler Sunbeam 1.3LS. I loved it, but what a difference from modern cars! I wish i still had it. BWF845T in the great scrapyard in the sky.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Jul 2021 17:19 #237005 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Motorway driving
Compared with Dreadnaught, Temeraire is a revelation on the motorway. Yes there is more body movement without the trailmaster sport dampers so there is a definite buffeted feeling around trucks but with the taller final drive of the automatic 70 mph is just a tickle over 3000rpm which makes for a very comfortable cruise. The full power seamless change is ideal for slip road merge too. Compared with the 1984 1.0 polo I started with any Jimny is a rocket ship!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Jul 2021 08:35 - 30 Jul 2021 08:36 #237144 by lightning
Well, another positive for motorway use, we drove to York in our 2020 SZ5 yesterday and no issues at all, kept it at the legal limit some of the time, otherwise it was cruise control set at 65mph.
We averaged 44mpg according to the readout on the dash. This has definitely gone up as the vehicle has loosened up, now on 5,500 miles.
lt is better with both hands on the wheel in windy conditions, same as any 4x4 with a steering box rather than rack and pinion steering.
As you need to make minor corrections to the steering. But it was fine and once we get a tow bar fitted it will be able to tow our boat, and may replace the Defender for trips to Scotland.

On the Defender l fitted an RTC steering damper and that transformed it for road use, making the steering more car-like with better self centering and less need to make constant minor adjustments.

l haven't seen one available for the Jimny, l wonder if it would also make the Jimny a better road car, the Terrafirma one that fits Defender would be too much for the much lighter Jimny.

Last edit: 30 Jul 2021 08:36 by lightning.

More
30 Jul 2021 10:15 #237151 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Motorway driving
It's been like that with Jimnys for years. I've never had a problem driving a Jimny at motorway speeds, but it's always surprised me the number of people that say they do. My 20 year old JImny is quite happy at 80+mph for hours at a time. I generally don't care for fuel economy but as far as I can tell it gets slightly over 30mpg at 50mph and slightly under at 80mph. I value my time more than money, so getting places sooner is by far the most economical option for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds