BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny's

• tomlinson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2020 21:49 #230699 by tomlinson
New Jimny's was created by tomlinson
Hi All,

Am I missing something, but why are the new Jimny's so damn expensive? On the top gear website it shows certain models of the new Jimmy as being around £15K, but everywhere I look they're like £26K! Seems a mad price. Not sure I'll ever be able to afford one of those.
Is it just the new going price for having a 1.5 engine or am I missing something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2020 22:18 - 05 Dec 2020 22:20 #230700 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New Jimny's
In simple terms supply, demand and unscrupulous dealers.
Suzuki launched the new GEN4 and then promptly stopped importing (emissions) even though dealers had unfulfilled orders. Dealers then got allocated reduced numbers, they had a choice.
1) Fulfill the orders they had at list price.
2) Register the vehicle themselves, sell it as still new, but at a price they could demand to the people who wanted to jump the waiting list.

Most went for option 2, hence the price has been artificially raised to £26K - £30K if you want one. Now remaining "new" vehicles with dealers and private sales are keeping the price up. It will / is falling, currently quite a few GEN4's are on the market at these prices, so availablity is on the increase. But you are still going to have to wait until sellers get hungry..

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 05 Dec 2020 22:20 by Scimike.

• tomlinson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2020 22:26 #230702 by tomlinson
Replied by tomlinson on topic New Jimny's
That old chestnut eh! Well thanks for the info Scimike. I still love my 2018 model so I can keep that and wait a few years to see if anything changes. We'll probably all end up driving homogenous battery bubble cars in the near future like on The Jetsons....god help us.

More
05 Dec 2020 22:37 #230703 by Scimike
Yep, that's life.
It's possible it may appear again without rear seats as a commercial variant, it's a loophole that allows for higher emissions. It's all time limited anyway, as in 9 years all gas vehicles are going to be worth less as they get banned from sale. I would keep your 2018 for 15 years, hopefully a reliable fully EV Jimny alternative will exist that we can afford.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Dec 2020 07:39 #230707 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New Jimny's
That's my plan. Keep Dreadnaught until the tin worm leaves nothing to weld to,have the Spare Jimny in reserve and if Leviathan is not still on the road in 20 years Toyota are doing something wrong. By that stage the government might have invested in hydrogen infrastructure promotion and manufacturing will be on stream with suitable fuel cell powered vehicles for agricultural purposes.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Dec 2020 09:30 #230712 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic New Jimny's
Lambert hydrogen might be sooner than you think
I build alternative fuel systems,Symbio have us making H2 systems for the new Renault kangoo vans now
Already done a train for alstrom and JCB have been for a look round.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
06 Dec 2020 11:48 #230714 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic New Jimny's
Birmingham University have a hydrogen fuel cell narrow boat moored on the Worcester -Birmingham canal alongside the university at Selly Oak. It has been there for many years and the state of it indicates it hasn't moved in a long time.

Roger

More
06 Dec 2020 13:36 #230716 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic New Jimny's
Dealers trying their luck and private sellers seeing these prices thinking "l can get £24,000"

I looked on Auto Trader and found a few around the £20,000 mark which is a bit better.

Also there's one for sale on this forum at just over £20,000

l would happily buy a used one and save the £6,000 as it will still have the Suzuki warranty.

More
07 Dec 2020 13:44 #230728 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic New Jimny's
I would keep your Gen3 until prices of Gen4 come down.

Mike, I am not sure that prices of Petrol/Diesel cars are going to drop, there will be a rush to buy ahead of the ban, based on cost, performance, range or just people like my missus who hates any new technology. I bet more than 50% of the population just wants to keep buying petrol/diesel.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
07 Dec 2020 16:05 #230731 by Scimike

DrRobin wrote: I would keep your Gen3 until prices of Gen4 come down.

Mike, I am not sure that prices of Petrol/Diesel cars are going to drop, there will be a rush to buy ahead of the ban, based on cost, performance, range or just people like my missus who hates any new technology. I bet more than 50% of the population just wants to keep buying petrol/diesel.

Yep you could be correct, it depends upon your outlook.
A lot will depend upon how popular they become over the next few years. If enough people start to move to EV then it will reduce how viable it is to maintain and distribute fuel. This could reduce availability of supply sooner after 2030, making that new fossil fuelled vehicle purchase in 2030 potentially unusable in 10 years (no fuel). So depreciation has the potential to be very high on a late purchase fossil fuelled vehicles, another reason to go EV.

Its just my ramblings, I will keep my 2009 for as long as I can just to play it safe.

suplying

More
07 Dec 2020 16:37 #230732 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic New Jimny's
They were saying in my father's time at school there was only forty years of oil reserves left in the world.

They told me the same thing when I went to school.

I suspect there's plenty of oil left, its simply that the more developed nations will use their tax raising opportunities to make the use of conventionally fossil fuelled vehicles much less attractive.

I'm sure there will still be a network to receive petrol even when the majority of vehicles on the road are alternatively fuelled, it's just you will have to pay an amount that many would baulk at.

More
07 Dec 2020 16:55 #230733 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic New Jimny's
Agreed but....

I am old enough to have bought 2 star and then 4 star petrol, in fact my 43 year old motorbike was only ever designed to run on 4 star and for a few years I searched it out at the pumps until it went in the late 90s. Then I got it to run on unleaded by changing the timing slightly and after 35 years of me owning it you can still get the fuel to run it.

Thing is there will be a lot of petrol/diesel vehicles on the road after the ban comes in and for a good length of time, we will still see petrol in the pumps for at least 10 years after they all go leccy or gas (Hydrogen) and selected places long after that. The cost will go up as less people buy it, but it will always be there until it is banned.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds