BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rustproofing.

More
06 Aug 2020 17:08 #226146 by Roger Fairclough
Back in Feb. 2020 I emailed customer services at Suzuki with the question " what rust proofing measures are taken to protect the Jimny".I asked the question because the catalogue stated that the Jimny had a 12 year anti perforation warranty.

The response was:-

"Steel sheets are given corrosion resistance on the interior / and or exterior. These corrosion resistance steel sheet materials are called one of two -side galvanized steel sheets.
1.Steel sheets are treated with cathodic electro primer which is excellent in corrosion resistance.
2.Rust proof coatings are applied to door and side sill insides where moisture is liable to stay.
3.vinyl coating is applied to body underside and wheel housing inside.
4.Sealer is applied to door hem, engine compartment steel sheet to steel sheet joint, and the like portions to prevent water penetration and resulting in rust occurrence.
The 12 years is for penetration inside to outside and requires a dealer check and stamp every year between 11th-12th month

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2020 17:26 #226154 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Rustproofing.
I can concur that suzuki have done a decent job with wax/resin/gunk protection in doors and bentween steel sheets. Its a dark sticky wax and was nice to see.

I have now used lanolin on my chassis and in the chassis rails. It is amazing stuff and eco friendly.

Cant recomend the stuff highly.enough.
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Aug 2020 17:31 #226155 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rustproofing.
That be as it may, an unprotected Jimny will be red raw with surface corruption within 18 months and there are many reported instances of mot failure for corrosion as early as 10 years.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Aug 2020 19:02 #226164 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Rustproofing.
The gen.4 has only been out for approx. 2 years, so I assume that the measures now taken by Suzuki are to rectify the problems they had with earlier models.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Aug 2020 19:12 #226166 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rustproofing.
Ok except for reports of new cars fresh off the ship already having surface corruption on supposedly sealed seams. As I did with my Dreadnaught I would apply a coating straight off the forecourt if I were in the market for a gen4.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Aug 2020 19:17 #226167 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Rustproofing.
You would think so, but pictures I have seen on here of some G4's have rust stains running from within the chassis, along with the normal weld seam surface rust and component rust starting. Looks very similar to a 1 year old G3 and Suzuki had a few attempts before the G3 to improve things. I personally would not believe the sale hype at this time, maybe in 10 years if they are still weld repair free.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
06 Aug 2020 21:09 #226181 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Rustproofing.
Annual treatment with a clear rust proofing spray such as XCP will help to keep rust at bay.

A worthwhile morning's work once a year.

More
06 Aug 2020 22:37 #226185 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Rustproofing.
I agree with Lambert
My first stop would be buzzweld HQ
For the full works ;)

More
07 Aug 2020 11:53 #226222 by Roger Fairclough
The pics.from Andy 2640 indicate a brown coloured material which is similar to the material I found when I removed the side panels to install rear speakers and I am wondering if people are mistaking this "wax" for rust. I am reading reports that mention rust here or there but without pics. I am, by nature and experience, cautious of information that is supplied without proof . Suzuki are a reputable company and have given the Jimny a 12 year anti-perforation Warranty, the only, perfectly acceptable condition being that you have a dealer stamp every year Between 11th and 12th month. I have heard negative responses from people who don't own gen. 4 motors but who are, seemingly, quite happy to condemn Suzuki's efforts to prolong the life of their products.Comments such as " I have heard reports are meaningless without proof".

Roger

More
07 Aug 2020 12:08 #226224 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Rustproofing.
I believe the rust warranty only covers the body and not the chassis. The rust reporting and pictures I have seen are on the classis.

More
07 Aug 2020 12:37 #226228 by Roger Fairclough
On my generation 4 the chassis is plastered with an anti corrosive coating so it would appear that Suzuki have appreciated the damage caused to gen3 models and have acted accordingly. The email from Suzuki does not say that the chassis is not covered in the warranty.

Roger

More
07 Aug 2020 12:42 #226229 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Rustproofing.
Suzuki Customer Services made this statement when I queried what was covered by the warranty (the warranty wording only specifically excludes "the exhaust system and it's components") - "I have spoken with the Suzuki Warranty Department who have confirmed that the panels and structure of the vehicle are covered by the anti-perforation warranty".
Structure surely incudes the chassis, I'd have thought.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds