BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Suspension uplift

• New boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2020 15:14 #223533 by New boy
Suspension uplift was created by New boy
Can anyone recommend a garage in Cleveland that could supply and install a new suspension set up to increase my 2019 Jimny’s ground clearance by 50mm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jun 2020 20:40 #223538 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Suspension uplift
Welcome to the forum. I'm a bit too far south to reccomend anyone. It is however not a particularly difficult job if you have some basic tools and a bit of ability or alternatively it is not going to be a big job for a garage. Do you already have or know what kit you are wanting to use? Also don't forget that a suspension lift doesn't increase the clearance under your differentials it just lifts the chassis relative to the axles which allows you to fit bigger tyres.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• New boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2020 20:55 #223539 by New boy
Replied by New boy on topic Suspension uplift
Thanks Lambert,
I think you just pointed out the obvious, which I had not thought of ( inexperience), I’m using the car a lot for working well off road and while it’s been brilliant in the good weather up to press I wanted to make the car as ready for the winter as possible. To date I have just had all terrain tyres fitted,
Any advice would be welcome as I am new to this.

More
13 Jun 2020 08:01 #223541 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Suspension uplift
Hi. I sell lift kits but don't install.

Message me if you want a price.

James

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
13 Jun 2020 08:34 #223542 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Suspension uplift
Trailmaster Comfort Lift kit is for sale in the BigJimny Shop

www.bigjimny.com/store/trailmaster-50mm-2-lift-kit-2019.html

There are some pictures and a video in the store advert.

You would have to find a small garage locally to fit, it is straight forward for them.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
13 Jun 2020 09:47 - 13 Jun 2020 09:49 #223545 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Suspension uplift
Hello and welcome along.
No doubt that a lift, coupled with larger tyres, is going to improve the vehicle ground clearance and potentially get you over larger obstructions (no guarantee in this game :laugh: )
But you have said your Jimny has coped with the terrain so far and your main concern is winter. Winter will present wetter ground or frozen / snow covered ground, so your main issue will be traction unless you plan to hit more uneven ground.
So could your money be better spent on snow specific tyres, ARB locker or winch?
A winch has the advantage that when you do get stuck, being alone, your could potentially recover the vehicle.
Just putting it out there for discussion as this appears to be requirement for a working vehicle and not a full blown off road warrior.

What would you spend your money on if you could only change one thing?
Me - I woul fit an ARB or LSD diff.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Jun 2020 09:49 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Jun 2020 10:15 #223547 by Lambert
I agree. If it is not doing bad with the terrain at the moment and you are worried about what it will do as things get wetter I would look at tyres first. With travelling over wet ground the trick is to to maintain traction whilst not breaking the ground surface and at the same time not having the treads fill with debris. This in essence means a fairly open pattern with good self cleaning abilities but not so aggressive that it is ripping the ground as torque is applied. A road tyre is no good and some of the more gentle all terrain types are not really aggressive enough as will fill with mud and just spin on the surface but equally a more extreme tyre like the simex copies or the maxxis trepador are too much and will just dig in and make a mess. You need something like a bfg mud terrain or similar. Couple these with the elocker in the gen4 and you have a very capable car. It is also not a bad idea to look at getting some professional training commensurate with your existing skill level be that a beginner basics or a professional refresher course it is good to have someone cast a critical eye over your technique every so often.

• New boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jun 2020 10:16 #223548 by New boy
Hi Scimike,
Thanks for your thoughts. I had the same thought train as yourself and looked into winches but was put off for two reasons:
First the winch requires a battery with higher CCA making it larger, which the battery shelf as fitted can’t accommodate. When I questioned this the response was to put the battery behind the seat or in the back - not an acceptable solution.
Second and less of a problem is that the number plate has to be relocated and again the alternative suggestion were poor.

I also looked for a steel bumper arrangement that would resolve the winch mount issues but the best ones seem to be from Australia and not available in the uk

In respect of the ARB diff lock you need to install a compressor which might go under the passenger seat but not in the engine compartment . Apart from that it looks quite a job to install the lock and I wasn’t sure of how much better it would make the off road ability and if you needed both front and back lockstep make a real difference.
What are your thoughts?

At the moment I am thinking just set of steel wheels with good mud tyres as best benefit for money so far.

• New boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jun 2020 10:23 #223549 by New boy
Hi Lambert, thanks for your thoughts and I’m with you on the tyres, which I will organise.
What is the e locker? Do you mean the four wheel drive function fitted as standard?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Jun 2020 10:37 #223551 by Lambert
No the traction control system is capable of emulating the action of a limited slip differential in the back. It's effectively a kind of torque vector system that sends power to the wheel with most traction. It's quite good compared with the open diff in the gen3 but it does seem to rely on some wheel slip to know there's a problem. With more aggressive tyres it can take you quite a long way in tricky situations.

• New boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jun 2020 10:42 #223552 by New boy
Sorry Lambert I am a bit slow on this, are you saying the traction control that is fitted to my 2019 car is good enough with the correct tyres and a bit of tuition?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Jun 2020 12:20 #223556 by Lambert
Yes. As it comes out of the box a Jimny is one of the most capable true off road vehicles you can buy.. I'm not saying they are perfect because they are not but as a cheap and simple factory ready car that will willingly take a driver with even modest skill to the ends of beyond you won't find much better than a Jimny.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds