BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

ABS sensor bolt size?

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2020 10:47 #221938 by NickR
ABS sensor bolt size? was created by NickR
Hi all,

I had my first try at kingpin bearings this week, and managed to shear the ABS sensor bolt as seems quite common! I have drilled and tapped it out, and I think I managed to clean up the original threads without too much damage, but am wondering what the size is of the standard bolt? I am surprised that I can't find it on the forum somewhere, but I want to be sure I pick the right length etc for a replacement.

The other side has had several extra applications of WD40, to try and avoid having to do it all again in a few days time!!!

Thanks in advance

Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2020 11:40 #221939 by jackonlyjack

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2020 11:50 #221942 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic ABS sensor bolt size?
Thanks Jack,

M6 means I am on the original threads which is good news :)

Nick

More
06 May 2020 13:56 #221946 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic ABS sensor bolt size?
100% sure it's M6 as above. I had to helicoil the backing plates on our Jimny back to M6 as both bolts snapped when I attempted to remove. Now replaced with stainless steel including the helicoil inserts.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 May 2020 14:53 #221952 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic ABS sensor bolt size?
I happen to have a selection of m6 roof bolts with the double flat drive slot, a 16mm one is doing duty on my near side and is perfect.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2020 17:02 #221961 by NickR
Thanks for the confirmation, guys!

I haven't found any suitable bolts in my various jam jars yet, so I have put it all back together without it for now - well, I watched while my daughter put it back together! I quite like the supervisor role!! Then we can get on with the other side and try not to break it as well! I will have spares by then hopefully anyway :)

I did notice that, when the sensor is in, if it is not perfectly aligned with the mounting bolt hole, the tip hits the sensor ring - there does not seem to be any possibility for adjustment. I know it has to be close (at least in theory - I haven't fiddled with ABS sensors before), and I hope that the new bolt will hold it in the perfect position, but has anyone else noticed if this is "normal"? The sensor has a plastic collar on it that has some slight damage from removal, but it looks like it is sitting very snugly and centrally in it's hole, so it is only rotation from the mounting hole alignment I am intrigued by. The car goes ( a few metres), stops and engages 4WD normally, so everything else checks out.

Nick

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2020 06:07 #221970 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic ABS sensor bolt size?
I have replaced kingpin bearings and seals to both sides recently and in doing so destroyed the plastic collars for both sensors, i have had no problems by just fitting the sensors centrally.
But if anybody has a link or a cobble together of the collars i would be grateful.
Dave.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 May 2020 07:46 #221975 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic ABS sensor bolt size?

Jimx5 wrote: I have replaced kingpin bearings and seals to both sides recently and in doing so destroyed the plastic collars for both sensors, i have had no problems by just fitting the sensors centrally.
But if anybody has a link or a cobble together of the collars i would be grateful.
Dave.

Use insulation tape. wrap it around and around until you get a snug fit ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack

More
More
07 May 2020 17:27 #221995 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic ABS sensor bolt size?
I drill through and use a nut and bolt. No issue next time round

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2020 09:09 #222126 by NickR
Just to add a note in case it helps anyone out. My apprentice replaced the kingpins on the other side over the weekend, and sheared the other ABS bolt exactly as I had showed her how to!!

But, if you can get the old one out and clean the M6 threads, and you are replacing the swivel seal bolts as I was, then the old oil seal bolts are a perfect fit and length! That gave me plenty of spares to use :)

Both plastic collars broke where they are very narrow (why are they quite so fragile!!), but managed to re-use them. +1 for stocking them as spares.

Nick

More
11 May 2020 10:00 #222129 by Velocette
Replied by Velocette on topic ABS sensor bolt size?
Bit of a bonus on my 2016 Jimny. I've been undoing ALL the nuts and bolts underneath and cleaning/copper greasing the lot as a precaution. The ABS bolts were dealt with but I found that instead of a plastic sleeve on the sensor unit itself as on my 2006, this one has 4 fins or ribs which make contact with the orifice and don't grip or seize.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds