BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny reverse lock ????

• 16mattye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2017 12:00 #178498 by 16mattye
Jimny reverse lock ???? was created by 16mattye
Plain and simple guys. Does a 2001 jimny have a reverse lock?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2017 17:54 #178507 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Jimny reverse lock ????
What is a reverse lock? :blink:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Young Pretender
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2017 18:57 #178516 by Young Pretender
Replied by Young Pretender on topic Jimny reverse lock ????
To stop accidentally engaging reverse.

Yours is a 2001 itnt it Matty? It's more of a warning than a lock. A sort of crunching sound that says please don't do it again ;)

More
25 Feb 2017 21:10 #178526 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Jimny reverse lock ????

16mattye wrote: Plain and simple guys. Does a 2001 jimny have a reverse lock?
Thanks

Do you mean does the gearlever need to be pushed down to engage reverse?....mine does. Détente

• 16mattye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2017 23:31 #178530 by 16mattye
Replied by 16mattye on topic Jimny reverse lock ????
Sure is a 2001 mate. lol so I take that as a no for lock haha

• 16mattye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2017 23:32 #178531 by 16mattye
Replied by 16mattye on topic Jimny reverse lock ????
No mate i mean when your driving in 5th and try to put it in 6th (reverse ) does it have the reverse lock so basically the car knows your going forward and won't let you select reverse sonyou cant select it on accident an blow the box to bits.

• ilten
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2017 08:59 #178538 by ilten
Replied by ilten on topic Re:Jimny reverse lock ????
No, it does not have a physical block. The crunching sounds and the vibration in your hand should be enough to remind you you're doing something really stupid. If that isn't enough for you to stop pulling on the damn lever you deserve every bit of costly damage you inflict on your gearbox. A Jimny can do a lot of amazing things - but it can't fix stupid.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T310 mit Tapatalk

• Young Pretender
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2017 09:16 #178541 by Young Pretender
Replied by Young Pretender on topic Re:Jimny reverse lock ????
I think the question has been asked because he is having issues getting the gbox into reverse and pressumably thinking, that if a locking mechanism exists, it might be stuck

More
26 Feb 2017 19:22 #178564 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Jimny reverse lock ????
Reverse and 5th are worked by the same syncho hub. AFAIK, nothing except the hand on the gearlever stops you selecting reverse at 60mph.
I can't remember how it works now, I had the gearbox apart to change the bearings. We did have trouble getting reverse to work when we tested all the gears before closing the gearbox, until I spotted the reverse idler gear and it's shaft still on the bench :whistle:

I'm reasonably sure that reverse is always in mesh, with the idler going round, but the idler has no bearings. :ohmy: The last gearbox I had apart, the reverse idler slid into and out of mesh to engage reverse, on the jimny, the 5th synchro hub goes forwards to lock the mainshaft reverse gear to the shaft, the counter shaft drives it backwards all the time via the idler.

Can't see any reason for it not to go in, unless the synchro hub is broken, or the re is something preventing the gear lever moving enough to move the selector.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• 16mattye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2017 17:12 #178664 by 16mattye
Replied by 16mattye on topic Re:Jimny reverse lock ????
Jeeeez your an angry man lol

• 16mattye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2017 17:14 #178665 by 16mattye
Replied by 16mattye on topic Re:Jimny reverse lock ????
Thank you very much ,

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds