BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Standard tyres v narrow tyres

More
19 Sep 2016 07:26 - 19 Sep 2016 07:28 #172561 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Standard tyres v narrow tyres
The bumpiness of modern cars on big wheels is as much to do with the weight and size of cheaply made alloy rims (and in the case of the BMW, horrendous run-flat tyres) as it is the lack of tyre sidewall. Big heavy wheels and tyres generally perform worse in every respect apart from looks. Compare the 'sporty' low profile tyres on a fast road car to those on a F1 car...

Last edit: 19 Sep 2016 07:28 by Busta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2016 14:57 #172580 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Standard tyres v narrow tyres
my tyres are not run flat and i don't think a bbs split rim is cheap

More
19 Sep 2016 15:29 #172582 by Busta
No BBS split rims aren't cheaply made, but they still aren't particularly light especially at 19 inches! They will be more than 30% heavier than the equivalent 16 inch rim, for example. As any Jimny driver knows, un-sprung mass is what kills ride finesse.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2016 17:08 #172587 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Standard tyres v narrow tyres
My genuine Honda wheels are not cheap or heavy (only 17") :)
The main problem is the Civic is not know for a plush ride. Then to make it worse,
as mine is the Type S GT they lowered it and stiffened it to make it more sporty!!! :blink:
Yes it handles like a go cart but only rides nice on good roads. :)

More
19 Sep 2016 20:42 #172593 by Busta
I chose to drive a 106 Rallye, so what do I know about lightweight wheels and good handling... :dry:

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds