BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

MOT Time

More
15 Nov 2010 17:40 #5953 by Jamie
MOT Time was created by Jamie
Well, The time has come, My lil jim has turned 3 years old and is now going to the
nasty man in the garage!!!!

So far i have replaced the front anti roll bar which won't be coning back off!!!
it is so much nicer to drive on the road i'm willing to loose a bit off road....

Repaced the rear shock's as one is leaking and the other isn't far off!!
the windscreen wash now works for the first time in about 18 month's!!

Just need to clean up the front swivel :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
as i cant stop the dam thing leaking oil and it wont be getting a new one before
saturday....
Fingers crossed thats it ...................Watch this space!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2010 20:10 #5973 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: MOT Time
As a real pony solution to stopping your swivels leaking for the MOT drain your front diff and clean off whats already leaked-remembering to refill after of course! Mine failed on leaking swivels, i had cleaned them off before the MOT but it left a nice little puddle on his ramp as a memento still!
I wish i'd have done this before mine, i had only checked the levels a few weeks before and of course once i topped it up it started leaking everywhere again. It would have just bought me some time to replace the kingpins bearings knowing that it wasn't something terminal, but the mot man had other ideas. He was quite fair and did say that a little on the wheel and swivels would have passed but the amount it dropped he couldn't ignore it.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
15 Nov 2010 20:16 #5974 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: MOT Time
And mine is in on Thursday morning at 7.15am.

Whilst the entire front end is new, I think I have a sticking caliper on the rear but I will treat it as a list of points to tackle as it has been in the garage for 5 months

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Mumbo Jimbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2010 21:56 #5978 by Mumbo Jimbo
Replied by Mumbo Jimbo on topic Re: MOT Time
I had to do the same thing to get through my MoT recently. Didn't have time to sort out a leaky front swivel before the test so gave it a quick wipe before the test and passed no bother. Not proud of it but hey ho ;)

More
16 Nov 2010 11:28 #5985 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: MOT Time
Mine,s due at the end of january :angry: Really bad timing for a 4X4.
It's going to need inner sills welding, the rust wasn't noticable last year but theyve been grounded out a couple of times and basically "burst".
I've also got a really badly rusted body mount, the nearside one in front of the rear wheel, holed all the way round. looks like the access for welding it is going to be really difficult with the chassis, sill and petrol tank all so close, any ideas?:unsure:

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
16 Nov 2010 16:26 #5991 by Jamie
Replied by Jamie on topic Re: MOT Time
Yeah dead easy!!!!!

Take off the body mount bolts and put a scissor jack beetween the body and chassis
then hey presto

More
16 Nov 2010 20:00 #6013 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: MOT Time
Hmmm, following my axle rebuild my steering wheel is 180 degrees out!. I think its because the combination of bent arms, 2" castor correction bushes on a 3" lift and unmodified panhard rods meant that KAP had to adjust the steering wheel dramatically to get it straight. Now that I have proper 3" Corrected arms and a longer Panhard rod the whole this is completely askew!

It clearly needs the tracking sorting, but is there a tried and tested method for getting it all straight?

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
16 Nov 2010 20:45 #6015 by Jamie
Replied by Jamie on topic Re: MOT Time
Yes Martin there is!!!!
On the front steering bar slacken off the 2 locknuts and turn the bar
And this will straighten the wheel without affecting the tracking!!!
This is how I did mine and had the tracking checked after and no change!!

Jamie

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds