BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Just bought a Jimny..

More
15 Nov 2013 16:09 #91298 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Just bought a Jimny..
did you gap the plugs properly? if the engine is moving about a lot then you may have a misfire, I would start with a compression test.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maxw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2013 16:55 #91307 by maxw
Replied by maxw on topic Just bought a Jimny..

Rhinoman wrote: did you gap the plugs properly? if the engine is moving about a lot then you may have a misfire, I would start with a compression test.

I put them straight in, do I need to gap them? I dont think I have a misfire as the engine doesn't move much when idling at first but then the idle drops slightly and it starts to move, I'll get someone to give me a 2nd opinion when I get the chance :)

• Yellostreak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2013 17:42 #91312 by Yellostreak
Replied by Yellostreak on topic Just bought a Jimny..
check that the pipes for the vacuum hubs are not perished as they come out the inlet manifold.. mine where and it ran like a dog, sometimes cutting out also..

• maxw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2013 20:34 #91341 by maxw

Yellostreak wrote: check that the pipes for the vacuum hubs are not perished as they come out the inlet manifold.. mine where and it ran like a dog, sometimes cutting out also..

I'll check that tomorrow, the 4wd works though, so would that suggest that they are ok?

Cheers

• maxw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 19:20 #91636 by maxw
Sorted out the missing, was just the spark plugs, all running fine now - just a little smokey; hopefully this will go once I give it a good run!

A new problem has cropped up now though, when I press the clutch in, there is a noise (when i touch the clutch at all) it almost sounds like a scraping? not too loud, but loud enough to worry me! I'm not sure what its from, but I wonder if its a coincidence that it's started happening the first time after I drove it in low box?

anyone got any ideas?

cheers

• littletriple
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 19:46 #91644 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic Just bought a Jimny..
Sounds like the release bearing..

• piprice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 19:51 #91647 by piprice
Replied by piprice on topic Just bought a Jimny..
little niggles are starting to appear :whistle:
probaly why the backbox was removed in the first place, cheaper option then as you only think it needs a backbox!

give it a good going over, chances are the person just left things and got to the point where he thought just get rid of it

• maxw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 19:54 #91650 by maxw

littletriple wrote: Sounds like the release bearing..

Can this be left? I read somewhere that it could be down to not being used enough & will get better once used...I guess that sounds like wishful thinking haha! Is it a gearbox out job?

piprice wrote: little niggles are starting to appear :whistle:
probaly why the backbox was removed in the first place, cheaper option then as you only think it needs a backbox!

give it a good going over, chances are the person just left things and got to the point where he thought just get rid of it

For the price I paid I was expecting a lot worse really, just need it to last me the winter & hopefully I can fix things as I go, then either sell it on in better condition, or keep it for some fun in the summer.

• piprice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 20:02 #91652 by piprice
Replied by piprice on topic Just bought a Jimny..
ahhhh jimny deals lol, i bought mine for £600, need heater matrix (was supplied with the car) rocker cover, and also the lambda sensor needed doing as EML was on, also front brakes!

Heater matrix - cost me nothing to replace
rocker cover £7
universal lambda £17
brakes £36

i have cost my self a few quid being a bit abrubt with getting the dash out, but originally £600, and the parts above - thank you very much :D

• littletriple
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 20:03 #91653 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic Just bought a Jimny..
If it is the release bearing it might go on for a while just being noisy or it might fail. Hard to say.

• maxw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2013 20:06 #91655 by maxw

littletriple wrote: If it is the release bearing it might go on for a while just being noisy or it might fail. Hard to say.

Any idea how hard they are to replace?

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds