BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Just bought a Jimny..

• maxw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 20:25 #91158 by maxw
Just bought a Jimny.. was created by maxw
Hi everyone, new to the site!

I've just bought a V reg jimny with a 3" lift kit, home made snorkel, 31" tyres etc.

It seems nice & solid which is good.

The main problem I'm having with it is that when I bought it, it had no backbox on it and was very loud & 'bubbly' - I'm not sure if it's missfiring (as when you listen to just the engine there doesn't seem to be anything wrong; just the exhaust note) or if it is just because there is no backbox on it? what do people think? would the lack of backbox cause such a dramatic noise?

Also, should a snorkel have more than just an air filter on top? as I don't want it to just suck water in when it rains?!

Finally, the heater doesn't work; i've read something about some levers getting dislodged? has anyone got anymore information about this or tips to fix it - or is there a fuse somewhere which could need replacing?

Does anyone have any tips for me on Jimny ownership?! haha

I loved the drive back home; despite the fumes, noise & lack of power.

Thanks,
Max

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Reloaded
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 21:01 - 14 Nov 2013 21:02 #91167 by Reloaded
Replied by Reloaded on topic Just bought a Jimny..
Welcome to Jimny ownership mate B)

With a missing backbox it's gonna make a right racket lol - get a box on and I'm sure it'll be a million times better.

Peaple do run snorkels with the filter on top - I'm not really a fan of that tbh, your filter is just gonna get soaked and covered in mud and shit etc...

If you get your head down in the footwell and look up by the side of the clutch pedal with a torch you'll see the heaterbox (big, black plastic) and a series of white plastic levers that are connected by cables to the heater controls - these are fragile and are in a bit of a dumb place for getting kicked off - if you're lucky it will just be a disconnected cable. In my case one of the levers had snapped off and had broken the internal shaft aswell. I got a new heater box for £10 from Cam Suzuki - fitting it is a full dash-out job though :(

The tips and advice on ownership you'll find in this forum mate - it's all here and more B)
Last edit: 14 Nov 2013 21:02 by Reloaded.

• piprice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 21:12 #91169 by piprice
Replied by piprice on topic Just bought a Jimny..
Ahhhhhhh dash out... I know about that one!
Not as bad as people make out but be damed only a quarter of the screws will go back lol

• maxw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 21:17 #91170 by maxw
Replied by maxw on topic Just bought a Jimny..
Thanks for the reply! Would the backbox cause a lack of power due to the lost back pressure? (I'm hoping so, as it struggled a bit up hill, unless this is down to the large tyres!).

I'll have to have a look under the dash at the heater linkages tomorrow then, hopefully it'll be an easy fix, if not then i'll have to do it anyway 'cause winter is on its way!!

Cheers

• Swifty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 22:09 #91182 by Swifty
Replied by Swifty on topic Just bought a Jimny..
The missing backbox won't help but your defo gonna struggle with those tyres. A rocklobster transfer box helps or even a 1.6 conversion, :-)

Oh and welcome to the forum, some very helpful chaps on here, ;-)

• maxw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 22:37 #91195 by maxw

Swifty wrote: The missing backbox won't help but your defo gonna struggle with those tyres. A rocklobster transfer box helps or even a 1.6 conversion, :-)

Oh and welcome to the forum, some very helpful chaps on here, ;-)

Ah cheers, I'll see how I go on & then maybe reduce the tyre size - depending on how much cash I have spare :) i've got it mainly for winter because I want to be able to get to my house (or closer) without walking for a mile when it snows!

• Swifty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 22:45 #91197 by Swifty
Replied by Swifty on topic Just bought a Jimny..
That's the main reason I got mine (well that's the reason I told the wife) back in March, lol

• piprice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 23:30 #91202 by piprice
Replied by piprice on topic Just bought a Jimny..
Can someone please explain this rock lobster?

What's needed and where from... Are we talking mega bucks?

More
15 Nov 2013 00:16 #91207 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Just bought a Jimny..
It's the big tyres that are slowing you down.

Look up the How To guide on the main website to learn more about Rocklobsters.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2013 15:18 #91285 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Just bought a Jimny..

piprice wrote: Can someone please explain this rock lobster?

What's needed and where from... Are we talking mega bucks?

its the transfer box out of an SJ413 with a mixture of 410 and 413 intenals and it lowers the overall gearing slighhtly and halves the low ratio for off roading

www.bigjimny.com/images/documents/rocklobster.pdf

Rockwatt and bigoffroader do them on here and are probably the cheapest at £4-500 ish with mounts
you also need an Sj front prop to replace the rear prop

• Yellostreak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2013 15:26 #91287 by Yellostreak
Replied by Yellostreak on topic Just bought a Jimny..
you can also get a conversion kit for putting the 410 box into the Jimny.. this is both stronger and slightly lower on ratios.. ORA or Redacted should be able to help you out with this cheaper alternative at about £2-300 plus 410 box..

• maxw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2013 16:07 #91297 by maxw
This all seems a bit too expensive for me at the moment, I'll probably stick with the 31"s for a little while until I find some good other smaller tyres. I put the backbox on it today & it's already a lot smoother, quieter & more powerful; I also changed the spark plugs & it runs very nicely.

The engine does rock about a bit more than I'd like when the idle drops, how many engine mounts are there?

Also, I found a bit of rust under at the back of the boot floor - where the two parts overlap - I think I'll just cut a rectangle about 25cm by 10cm (over estimating) and weld a new plate in there - would that work ok? In the mean time would it be best to paint some hammerite on it or something?

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds