BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

CB questions from a total novice

More
18 Oct 2010 07:13 #5231 by ooky_123
We have a mag mount that we "plonk" in the middle of the roof when out and about. it also means if we knock it off, we simply drag it behind us rather than tear a hole in the roof.
Also, the head unit is attached though the top of the dash(above the heater vents). we use the standard bracket and, using the standard PL-259 plug and power connector, we can easily remove it from the vehicle when not in use. The mag mount also can be removed from the roof and stuck to the back of the rear seats.

Our SWR is about 0.8 - 1.2 across the 40 channels.

We were looking at those rear carrier mounts, but I would probably change the Ariel for a modulator as its a bit stiffer at the base.

As for radiation of the transmission, yes, the center of the roof is the optimum, but you have to understand how the signal radiates from a non central location to work out where the most power is being transmitted if you go for a non central location.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mick C
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2010 07:24 #5233 by Mick C
Replied by Mick C on topic Re: CB questions from a total novice

kirkynut wrote:

Mick C wrote: Wow! thanks K-nut and all the others that contributed!

I'm guessing that swapping a CB unit between vehicles (both equipped with antennas and wiring etc) is probably going to be a bit of a pain.

Are handhelds too much of a compromise?

Swopping a CB over to another vehicle that has all the wiring does not need to be a faff but why do it when you can buy a starter pack with everything in so cheaply - just buy 2!

Kirkynut

Very true, but (especially in the current economic climate), saying to SWMBO (and keeper of the purse) 'I'm going to buy a CB, but don't worry - we can use it in both vehicles' has a huge psychological advantage over saying 'not only am I going to purchase a CB, I'm going to buy two of them' :( B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds