BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Fitting my inside/outside thermometer

More
03 Jul 2013 13:20 #75896 by helijohn
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationFitting my inside/outside thermometer was created by helijohn
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNot really a tech piece this.
I saw one of these and wanted one. It came in about 7 days.

First problem was where to fit the exterior sensor that was reasonably nearby and outside but fairly well protected so I opted for under the trans tunnel.

Put the sensor in a zip bag and added some of my favourite kit........Duck tape........... for extra protection.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2013 13:23 #75897 by helijohn
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by helijohn on topic Fitting my inside/outside thermometer
Poked it through the grommet - stretched it as I didn't want to literally poke a hole in it.

Attachments:

More
03 Jul 2013 13:25 #75898 by helijohn
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by helijohn on topic Fitting my inside/outside thermometer
This is how it looks outside.

And inside.

Attachments:

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2013 13:43 #75900 by little jimny
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by little jimny on topic Fitting my inside/outside thermometer
The outside sensor looks like it's sitting within a couple of inches of the (hot!!) exhaust. On VW group cars they mount the outside temperature sensors just behind the front bumper - is there enough cable for you to do that?

More
03 Jul 2013 13:50 #75903 by helijohn

little jimny wrote: The outside sensor looks like it's sitting within a couple of inches of the (hot!!) exhaust. On VW group cars they mount the outside temperature sensors just behind the front bumper - is there enough cable for you to do that?

I think you are seeing the propshaft. ;) It does look exhaust like though.

Funnily enough the transmission tunnel is really empty.

The exhaust is over the other side.
No, one of the drawbacks is that the lead is fairly short. They say to put it on a sill but I didn't want the wire being flattened by the door rubber 10 times a day. :laugh: :laugh:

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2013 13:54 #75905 by little jimny
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by little jimny on topic Fitting my inside/outside thermometer

helijohn wrote:

little jimny wrote: The outside sensor looks like it's sitting within a couple of inches of the (hot!!) exhaust. On VW group cars they mount the outside temperature sensors just behind the front bumper - is there enough cable for you to do that?

I think you are seeing the propshaft. ;) It does look exhaust like though.

Funnily enough the transmission tunnel is really empty.

The exhaust is over the other side.
No, one of the drawbacks is that the lead is fairly short. They say to put it on a sill but I didn't want the wire being flattened by the door rubber 10 times a day. :laugh: :laugh:

Oooooops! :blush:

More
03 Jul 2013 14:01 #75908 by helijohn

little jimny wrote:
Oooooops! :blush:

Seriously is does look like an exhaust; you had me going for a second. ;)

I was under the motor for at least 10 seconds before fitting just to see where the grommet was, if there was an alternative grommetted hole, what it was like and if there was owt hot like a gearbox nearby.

It is all reasonably clear under there unless warm air comes along the tunnel like a draft in the Channel Tunnel from the front end. :laugh:
I was mostly concerned about the sensor surviving life in the open and pinching the delicate little wire. I've got hair thicker than that wire. :laugh:

More
03 Jul 2013 14:34 #75918 by gilburton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by gilburton on topic Fitting my inside/outside thermometer
I've got something similar and ran the wire through the main wiring harness grommet in the top left of the passenger foot well in to the engine bay.
It then goes forward to the underneath of the front cross member where it is protected from damage but will pick up icy temps.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
03 Jul 2013 14:36 #75919 by helijohn

gilburton wrote: I've got something similar and ran the wire through the main wiring harness grommet in the top left of the passenger foot well in to the engine bay.
It then goes forward to the underneath of the front cross member where it is protected from damage but will pick up icy temps.

The lead on mine is way too short to do that. I thought it was going to be longer. :(

More
03 Jul 2013 19:32 #75985 by gus2000
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by gus2000 on topic Fitting my inside/outside thermometer
Congratulations, very good job

i connect the positive wire in the rear fog connector (unused in my jimny)

when power on the tail light, thermometer light on

And does not use the cigarette lighter

tail light wire is red/yellow.

Caution, picture of LHD jimny

Gustavo LU2HC - Rio Cuarto (Argentina)
Jimny 1999 - 1.6 16V - SOHC

More
03 Jul 2013 20:48 #76002 by helijohn

gus2000 wrote: Congratulations, very good job

i connect the positive wire in the rear fog connector (unused in my jimny)

when power on the tail light, thermometer light on

And does not use the cigarette lighter

tail light wire is red/yellow.

Nice, neat solution to the connection question.

I have these sockets which is plugged into, the red lamp is their on/off switch.

Attachments:

• winter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2013 22:33 #76038 by winter
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by winter on topic Fitting my inside/outside thermometer
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWHY ?

helijohn wrote: Not really a tech piece this.
I saw one of these and wanted one. It came in about 7 days.

First problem was where to fit the exterior sensor that was reasonably nearby and outside but fairly well protected so I opted for under the trans tunnel.

Put the sensor in a zip bag and added some of my favourite kit........Duck tape........... for extra protection.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds