BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rear hazard/fog lights

More
31 Oct 2013 09:09 #88714 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Rear hazard/fog lights

Busta wrote: I hope you use your fog lights wisely John!

Aha.
I use it as I would have with the single one.
I too hate light pollution, particularly the Volvos running around with bright LEDs on all day.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2013 11:41 #88723 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Rear hazard/fog lights

Busta wrote: I hope you use your fog lights wisely John! A pet hate of mine is people that use them in conditions other than thick fog (I mean sub 50m viibility) or leave them switched on for a couple of days after the fog has cleared.

They are easily confused for brake lights (especially when there are 2 of them :p ) and I find they are very bright and irritating when you are in heavy traffic. People that use them in heavy rain they are a total nightmare!

Agreed!! As an ex hgv driver I think they should have a sensor on them so that when they sense headlights behind they switch off!!
The UK public seem incapable of using them correctly.
I find that modern cars with LED lights are bright enough already.
It was a pet hate of mine as I was a night driver and even emergency services lights are too bright at night so much so that I've had to virtually stop to get past multiple emergency vehicles as they blinded you making the situation worse!!

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
31 Oct 2013 11:48 #88724 by helijohn

gilburton wrote:
Agreed!! As an ex hgv driver I think they should have a sensor on them so that when they sense headlights behind they switch off!!

In dense fog though I want really bright lights! Nothing worse than having a heavy plough into you.

More
31 Oct 2013 11:57 #88727 by gilburton
Trouble is it's the people who are dense as they don't seem to be able to differentiate between different types of fog!! And they shouldn't be used in rain at all!!
An easy test is how far ahead can you see? If it's 1/2 a mile or more you don't need them on. If you are in traffic and can see lights behind you,you don't need them on.
Have you thought about how much extra light you are now putting out ?
I don't think it's too much of a problem on the Jimny but a lot of cars have their indicators/brake lights close to the rear fog lights and it masks the brake lights!

More
31 Oct 2013 12:08 #88729 by gilburton
Just looked the regs up and the official distance is 100 mtrs or less so that's about 100 yards.
In all my 40 years of driving I think I've only had them on a handful of times.

• ands
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2013 12:20 #88731 by ands
Replied by ands on topic Rear hazard/fog lights

helijohn wrote:

ands wrote: would like to ask the comments of the experts :laugh:

the Jimny we got here in the Philippines does not come with a rear fog light. the wiring harness is there. would like to know if somebody can give me part numbers for the 1. Rear fog lamp lens (ours should be in the bumper) 2. rear fog lamp switch 3. rear fog lamp socket

i think this photo is the rear fog lamp lens with sockets?

Have you looked in the main lens unit - on the door pillars - to see if there is a blank or available light bulb socket? ;)

What we have for the rear fog should be in the bumper. The one in the door pillar is the tail lights. But will check it non the less. Thanks
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
31 Oct 2013 17:30 #88754 by helijohn

gilburton wrote: Have you thought about how much extra light you are now putting out ?

I've had lots of motors with two rear fog lights. It's a bit motorbike looking when there is only one even if on the offside.

• jerry
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2013 18:13 #88762 by jerry
Replied by jerry on topic Rear hazard/fog lights
Most makers fit one fog light because having two often confuses traffic behind you into thinking your braking :dry: , I'll be keeping just the one ..... ;)

More
31 Oct 2013 18:41 #88771 by helijohn

jerry wrote: Most makers fit one fog light because having two often confuses traffic behind you into thinking your braking :dry: , I'll be keeping just the one ..... ;)

I think they do it for economy!! Can't see how two lights being on permanently would be like braking and the extra light could be a lifesaver in thick fog, brakes or otherwise.

More
31 Oct 2013 18:56 #88777 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Rear hazard/fog lights
The lights are in a similar position to brake lights and the same brightness so easily confused. When you see 2 bright red lights your first instinct is that the car is braking. They can also make it harder to recognise the brake lights, as mentioned earlier.

Often the position of the fog light on one side is mocked by the reversing light on the other.

I genuinely think fog lights (and peoples failure to use them correctly) causes more problems than they prevent. I probably use mine twice a year, and switch them off as soon as a car approaching from behind knows I'm there. Why some people drive around with them on in perfect visibility or heavy rain is a mystery to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

• Dirtbird
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2019 15:54 #201683 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Rear hazard/fog lights
Looking for more advice on this topic . Need a fog light reverse light and a work light that works with the reverse light .

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Jan 2019 16:12 #201685 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rear hazard/fog lights
If you are just after generic ones try a company called "bolt on bits" They're a bit land rover but have a useful selection of lights.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds