BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Who would want a "Grander" Jimny?

• Cakir
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 13:06 - 10 Feb 2013 14:29 #61903 by Cakir
Replied by Cakir on topic Who would want a "Grander" Jimny?

reaper wrote: There are plenty of larger 4x4's out there the success of the jimny is its size why would you want to alter that ?
Just buy a vitara if you want something a bit bigger

Do you think only the size matters in what I expect from a bigger design?

As I put in the beginning (these are my personal opinions, no offense)

1. I want the off road capabilities of the Jimny in the grander one, which Vitaras do not have as much as Jimnys do
2. The ladder type chassis isn't Vitara's standard
3. 4x4 mechanical features of the Jimny is far better than the Vitara's (the front and rear diffs and other stuff)
4. Vitaras are more for the inner city compared to Jimnys

The length of the proposed Jimny is only 3800 mm and the width 1700 mm, whereas Vitaras are much bigger than a 4x4 I am willing to drive. Besides, they are all full time 4x4 a feature which I don't like. Vitaras are also almost 1.5 tonne. A bigger Jimny with a bigger engine cannot weigh more than 1.25 tonne the most. These last two is important for mileage.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2013 14:29 by Cakir. Reason: not for offending

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 14:07 #61916 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Who would want a "Grander" Jimny?
You should read more my friend there are alot of vitara lovers on this forum that would disagree with 99% of your post , just fwiw the vits isnt full time 4wd and the tbox is just as good as a jims

• Cakir
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2013 14:27 #61921 by Cakir

reaper wrote: You should read more my friend there are alot of vitara lovers on this forum that would disagree with 99% of your post , just fwiw the vits isnt full time 4wd and the tbox is just as good as a jims

Well I don't mean to disappoint the Vitara lovers. As to your 4wd comment I am talking about the new Vitaras not the old ones.

When you say read do you really mean "read and learn"? One can never guess how much one knows by just looking at one's individual argument about a thing. Sorry, but if you mean 3 and 4 are disagreeable by some well let them be my guest, but these are my personal opinions of Jimnys compared to Vitaras. I am not imposing any of these ideas.

I am just saying let me put this first and yes I'm saying that if a bigger Jimny were available with all the features, yes very simple ones I mentioned in the beginning, I'd buy it. I'd want one with these sizes, with a more powerful engine and safety standards. That's it. One can never say it is a 3 door Grand Vitara, not anything else. No such car exists. They are totally from different leagues.

BTW I should also mention that I love XL7s.

• Cakir
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2013 08:34 - 12 Feb 2013 09:15 #62219 by Cakir
A 3d version of the drawings. Might give an idea
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 09:15 by Cakir. Reason: update to drawing

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2013 12:30 #62231 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Who would want a "Grander" Jimny?
can't see it ever happening as current car market trends are for low emission psuedo suvs with 2wd for emissions

there two being developed by Suzuki one is based on a swift and will be 4.0 metres long

and one will be a little bit shorter than a grand vitara 5 door at 4.3m

neither of which will be a mud plugger like the jimny

Attachments:

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2013 12:45 #62233 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Who would want a "Grander" Jimny?
Suzuki's in general are cheap low quality cars, i wouldn't touch a normal Suzuki... maybe a Vit with the transfer box (2.4 petrol?)

The reason why most of us on here have Jimny's is because they are great toys

If you want a bigger truck, and maintain the off-road ability/toy, get a 90... and if that isn't big enough, get a 110

In all honesty my next car will probably be a 90

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2013 12:59 #62237 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic Who would want a "Grander" Jimny?

adamatdraycott wrote: Suzuki's in general are cheap low quality cars, i wouldn't touch a normal Suzuki... maybe a Vit with the transfer box (2.4 petrol?)

The reason why most of us on here have Jimny's is because they are great toys

If you want a bigger truck, and maintain the off-road ability/toy, get a 90... and if that isn't big enough, get a 110

In all honesty my next car will probably be a 90

In many ways I agree with Adam. I would not spend a lot of money purchasing a Suzuki, hence the 3500 for the CO's O2. A great little beast for the money, but I wouldn't part with a load of cash for a bigger model. The Jimny is a laugh and you cannot help smiling when you're driving it.

I actually was thinking of getting a 90 for a project, but thank to the emission zone crap I refused to pay 100 quid a day penalties to drive an old diesel around London. So, it was either spend a lot of money on a newer 90 or buy the Jimny and get the CO hooked on the fun (but limited comfort) of SWBs - and then maybe get a 90 in the future. It's a good plan, but time will tell. Strange chaps, these women. :unsure:

• Cakir
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2013 13:21 #62241 by Cakir

darthloachie wrote: can't see it ever happening as current car market trends are for low emission psuedo suvs with 2wd for emissions

there two being developed by Suzuki one is based on a swift and will be 4.0 metres long

and one will be a little bit shorter than a grand vitara 5 door at 4.3m

neither of which will be a mud plugger like the jimny

That's what I'm saying exactly.

Personally, I am not willing to pay a penny on anything like the red concept. It has nothing to do with what I'm expecting like I am from a Jimny in the 1st place. 4 m length is not an ideal size as to off-roading as we all know. It's no good for easy parking inner city either. So I kept the length 3.8 m and the width 1.7 m in my design; i.e. juusst a little longer and wider, enough for both off road and inner city driving. I think we just need to heighten by just using a 16 inch 70 tyre set to keep the enough clearance as we need around a 20 cm increase in the wheelbase may be a bigger suspension set I don't know.

I really think there is a great market potential for a Grander Jimny given the new laws and restrictions under the 2 litre segment.

As to a Def 90 or 110 you know these guys are almost 1.9 tonne or more. So why not have a car that is lighter so fuel efficient as well as sturdy enough as Jimny but with more cargo space and a more powerful engine.

BTW I don't think there ever exists a stretched 5 door Jimny like the one on www.jimny.se/pictures.html

Cheers

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2013 16:34 #62252 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Who would want a "Grander" Jimny?
the only way you'll get what you want is to built it yourself
The true off road market is too small and too cheapsake for any manufacturers to be interested in it

even Dacia!

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2013 18:53 #62274 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Who would want a "Grander" Jimny?
For me the attraction of the J is its size. Any bigger and it would not be the same.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2013 20:09 #62280 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Who would want a "Grander" Jimny?

GuardianAngel wrote: For me the attraction of the J is its size. Any bigger and it would not be the same.

The jimny for me is a cheap 4x4 as I'm a relatively young driver at 23... Having owned mine since I was 20

Defenders of a similar age and condition were 10k plus more, which I couldn't justify. Also insurance was far more on the 2.4 diesel. (Jimny insurance is a lot more compared to a 1.3 Fiesta of a similar age and spec though. Even though a fiesta is significantly more nippy)

I am now starting to wish I had that little extra room a 90 offers... Also wanting a bit more power :blush: although I'd have not even thought about a LR if Suzuki had bought diesel to the UK

• Cakir
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Feb 2013 07:37 - 13 Feb 2013 07:39 #62342 by Cakir

darthloachie wrote: the only way you'll get what you want is to built it yourself
The true off road market is too small and too cheapsake for any manufacturers to be interested in it

even Dacia!

stock Jimnys are for off road

Grand Jimnys are both for off road and City

and crappy 4x4s are off if you know what I mean. And the whole sub 2.0 liter mid size market is yours. I am in this and I know it has great potential FWIW

:laugh:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2013 07:39 by Cakir. Reason: added more comment

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds