BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

More
25 Sep 2023 16:11 #251017 by jlines
Dealer fitted the stuff for me so the majority of the car is done so we can concentrate on my SJ project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2023 16:38 - 01 Oct 2023 16:40 #251122 by rogerzilla
Did the jobs the useless mechanic said he couldn't.  Diffs and transfer box topped up and new filler plugs* fitted.  I don't think they'd been out since the factory and all needed quite a bit of oil before it started running out again (I used big syringes).

Alternator belt was slipping slightly on startup but he's overtightened the bolts and I still can't move them given the limited size of spanner it's possible to wield with the radiator in place**.  Belt seems within spec anyway (the PAS one was too slack but I was able to tighten that one) so I have sprayed it all with belt cleaner/stickifier.

*the secret to undoing the diff plugs is to use BIG mole grips/Vise-Grips and a tap with a mallet.  The 10mm square key on the end of a 1/4" driver is too long, applies torque off-centre and makes the plug resist unscrewing even more.  The mole grips shifted the rusted, rounded-out front one in a jiffy.  The square drive is ok for corectly torquing the new plugs.

**he used a big socket driver and created a huge coolant leak when the top hose got in the way!

Last edit: 01 Oct 2023 16:40 by rogerzilla.

More
01 Oct 2023 22:14 #251128 by Mike G
Got motivated and gave the chassis a paint as it bothered me looking so tatty.  So I gave it a fresh clean coat   Gave the chassis a wipe down with thinners, then used 1 coat rust convertor, 1 coat zinc phosphate primer and then a coat of chlorinated rubber to finish.  Hopefully that will last a while.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

More
02 Oct 2023 12:48 #251143 by rogerzilla
I had the stupid idea of smearing the new filler plugs with vaseline to prevent rust, since they suffer badly from road salt spray.  This works brilliantly on the steel parts (nuts, bolts, saddle rails) of bicycles ridden in winter.

I'd forgotten how hot diffs get in use, so it melts and drips off!  Will wipe the plugs clean again and use Cera-Tec grease, which is clear(ish), very waterproof, and good for 1000 deg C.

More
06 Oct 2023 07:53 #251213 by LM42
Fitted the larger custom throttle body and hose kit, the icv and tps bolts were made of cheese and had to be drilled out, sounds different and feels more lively, will know more over thr next few days, then the same kit is to be fitted to gv42s jimnys!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Oct 2023 05:04 #251283 by Lambert
This weekend was mostly spent topping up the waxoyl on the fleet. Spare Jimny needed more remedial work but I have subsequently found out that no one has been using their hands to clean up under the rear wheel arch lip since the last time I did it. It wasn't good.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Oct 2023 07:03 #251284 by rogerzilla
Changed the battery (for a Yuasa YBX5057, thanks for the confirmation).

Tried to fix the two broken elements in the rear window but the eBay kit was rubbish as the conductive paint was dried up.  Have ordered the proper Electrolube silver paint.

More
09 Oct 2023 12:57 #251299 by oldgazzer
Took the front bumper off and slapped lanolin over every bit of metal I could see. Quite pleased as it was the first time I had taken the front bumper off and I expected a lot of rust. Luckily all was quite solid.

More
10 Oct 2023 15:58 #251328 by DrRobin
Got 12 months MOT, Jimny sailed through again. I also get the car serviced, MOT was £45, parts for service was £76 (half of that was the oil) and only £100 labour. I can't be bothered to lie underneath in the street changing the oil to save £100.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
10 Oct 2023 20:19 #251335 by Soeley

More
12 Oct 2023 21:11 #251369 by Darthblaker7474
Finally got around to fitting this, and new indicator/wiper stalks.
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Oct 2023 21:37 #251402 by Lambert
Today I have mostly fighting traffic and the weather to get myself and temeraire to the Highlands.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds