BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

help , MOT fail

• rooster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2012 20:08 #43474 by rooster
Replied by rooster on topic Re: help , MOT fail
thanks for all your help guys. as always this forum delivers help and good advice thanks to its members.. keep it going guys and thanks once again. will update on progress tomorrow. Also got a price for a clutch today as that got fryed on last outing , £212 +vat fitted. good price .unfortunatly after sorting out all this work i will have to put winch and lift kit on back boiler as i didnt expect the mot work and bought myself a boat at the weekend. :( (being a man is costly ) but fair play to the wife , not a word said. happy days :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2012 20:39 #43475 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: help , MOT fail
personaly i would get the jimny back from mot center & do the repairs yourself

£25 for bearings & oil seal
replace rear box or repair it if you have a welder

labour charge free :)

• rooster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2012 20:54 #43476 by rooster
that is what im thinking. where are you getting the price for bearings and seal for £25 . cheers

More
03 Jul 2012 21:11 #43478 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: help , MOT fail
Kingpin bearings can be done in under an hour yourself(with practice of doing it before) the exhaust as said could just be de-laminating. I pulled the outer skin off and it lasted over 2 years after, the hanger bust off first then when i tried to get the back box off the rest of the system was shot up to the cat.

I find with some MOT places they will chance their arm on work they think people can't check themselves. I've now found a place that just does MOT's and doesn't do the work so has no interest in failing it to make money.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• rooster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2012 21:20 #43479 by rooster
ah thought the bearings would take longer than that so thanks for that. do you need a press to do the bearings ?

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2012 21:58 #43481 by vitara_mad

rooster wrote: that is what im thinking. where are you getting the price for bearings and seal for £25 . cheers

bigjimny shop pair of bearings & oil seal is £23 then there will be a little bit for postage

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2012 21:59 #43482 by vitara_mad

rooster wrote: ah thought the bearings would take longer than that so thanks for that. do you need a press to do the bearings ?

its a easy job don't take long & no special tools needed & no press

• rooster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2012 22:26 #43483 by rooster
great , i think i will do that myself then. i did look on jimny shop first but did not see them , i will look again. thanks

• rooster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2012 22:43 #43484 by rooster
found them . will order tomorrow pm. hope i can get them before the weekend?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2012 23:14 #43486 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: help , MOT fail
if the exhaust had a major leak it would have failed mauy be on the lambda reading id double check the exhaust may be for now put a exhaust bandage on it from halfords if all your king pins bolts come out ok and you have all the tools to hand quickest iv done one side was half an hour and while your in there clean out the cv and refill with new good quality grease may be look at some marine grease its repels water better that normal stuff hope this bit helps to

• rooster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2012 17:28 #43508 by rooster
UPDATE ....... picked up the jim removed rear bumper to have proper look at the silencer , guess what ..a hole that looks like you have pushed a pin through it and on the top by the tail pipe the outer skin has started to seperate from the seam and blowing sightly. emissions test result PASS. spoke to another mot centre and was told that due to th wording on failure sheet (rear exhaust has major leak of exhaust gases) it should not of passed emissions due to the fact they would not of even tried it. taking it to 2nd mot centre tomorrow for second opinion.!!!!

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2012 19:17 #43510 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: help , MOT fail
Mine looked like that so I decided to change it. When I took it off it had a huge hole on the top towards the back didn't sound too bad either. Could be worse than it actually looks

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds