BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

king pin help

More
16 Mar 2012 17:35 #35658 by mlines
Re: king pin help was created by mlines
If you have fitted a Transfer Box then Kingpin Bearings should not be an issue.

There is a step by step guide on this website.

No special tools are needed.

The only tricky bit could be the removal of the old race which needs to be driven out with a hammer. Getting a purchase on the race in order to hit it is not easy.

I can do both of mine in an hour, but then I have had some practice. I would suggest that one side should take no more than a couple of hours from start to finish.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2012 17:48 #35659 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: king pin help
I've done mine twice now. I'm by no means a mechanic but my dad is and as a result i'm quite confident with the spanners. Using martins how to guide its so simple, i can do it now though without!
As martin says the hardest part is getting the race out, i use a cold chisel or grind a punch to a flat edge. There's usually enough of a lip for you to get a start driving it out.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
16 Mar 2012 18:15 #35665 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: king pin help
I would also suspect if you were to offer some beer tokens then a local BigJimny member might help out. If you were to offer more they might do it for you!

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Ads1987
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2012 18:41 #35666 by Ads1987
Replied by Ads1987 on topic Re: king pin help
I just did one side and it took 5 hours lol but it's the first time I've worked on the jimny since buying it two weeks ago. The guide on this site is brilliant! Make sure you have some degreaser handy to do the cv shaft etc. mine appears to have been bodged a bit by the last owner so had a few small probs but overall not too bad, the races came out with a decent chisel but the lower king pin was stuck pretty solid.

More
16 Mar 2012 19:44 #35674 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Re: king pin help
I don't think you'll have a problem. Best of luck and get stuck in.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
17 Mar 2012 19:45 #35750 by jonplace
Replied by jonplace on topic Re: king pin help
a little tip,
I always have a bucket of hot water with a fair dose of fairy liquid in. king pins is a messy oily, gunky job and when starting to refit its handy to be able to dip hands and quickly clean off a bulk of the grime !!

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2012 20:46 #35756 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: king pin help
Alright, dead easy job just a good wollop to get the bearing race out. Takes an hour each side max for me and thats including giving everything a good clean.

There is a kit on ebay (4 bearings and two seals) for 60 ish delivered too

Get it done......use martins guide.....its nearly idiot proof but take your time the first time then every other time will be quick

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

More
17 Mar 2012 22:06 - 17 Mar 2012 22:07 #35769 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Re: king pin help
If your car is pre ABS then it will be straight forward and as per the guide, if not then I think there is a thread somewhere on the forum with a work around. The big cog on the hub is the ABS unit

Attachment DSCF0243-400_2012-03-18.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2012 22:07 by Foxtrot.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds