BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Cam Suzuki/ Thornton Breakers

• foxshooter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2010 11:09 #3459 by foxshooter
Cam Suzuki/ Thornton Breakers was created by foxshooter
What has been your experiences with this company (Theyre the same business, or rather Father and Son)

I had to order an axle from them at the beginning of the month. It was a refurb unit with all new seals, bearings and kingpins. When I ordered it I specified it was for a 54 plate Jimny and was told £450 plus delivery.

When the axle and receipt arrived I have been charged £450 plus delivery plus VAT on the lot, a grand total of £573.40 :angry:

This is on an exchange basis so they want my old axle back.

Yesterday we were changing over the bits and pieces, radius arms, brakes etc etc when it became apparent I had been sent a nice reconditioned NON ABS axle to fit in place of my ABS one.

I have been on the phone to them yesterday pm and was promised a call back that never came

Rang again today to be told its my fault as they asked (they didnt) about the ABS. The axle I have been sent id from a 2003 according to the receipt.

Is there a cut off point where ABS became standard fit??

I am now told they will collect my axle with the old one, fit new ABS hubs and send it back but I have to pay the shipping.

I mentioned that I had already been overcharged with the VAT on the original and they denied it, even though I have a printed receipt.

I also mentioned that CAM ws selling a refurb axle on ebay at the moment for considerably less than I was charged and no mention of VAT there either

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

His postage charges are higher than I paid but I expect that was to cover his ebay fees

I now have a jimny minus its axle blocking a bay at my local garage, no replacement to fit and the prospect of a long wait to get things sorted.

To say I'm annoyed doesnt really cover it.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2010 17:07 #3462 by mlines
I have heard before that they are difficult to deal with on occasions. I bought a starter motor from them without any hassle but I did spend a long time on the phone telling them exactly what I wanted to do.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
28 May 2010 11:59 #3463 by funkyjimny
Ive not been overcharged, but i have ordered stuff that didnt arrive for 3 weeks ! cant get them on the phone either, nightmare. I'd speak to Trading Standards if you feel youve been overcharged.

Gary

More
28 May 2010 16:29 #3473 by Jamie
I know theM reasonably well they are regulars at tong!!!!
Having said that I've not seen them for a while, they are a decent
set of lads, they have always been a bit slow on the carriage but
I don't think it's deliberate, as for the vat, I have always been charged
vat on everything I have bought for my truck, I thought it was a given!!
However, when I buy from eBay I have never paid vat except on
commercial vehicles!

• foxshooter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2010 19:04 #3563 by foxshooter
Replied by foxshooter on topic Re:Cam Suzuki/ Thornton Breakers
Well they were supposed to pick the axles up on the tue after the bank holiday weekend. Despite repeated phone calls and promises they werent collected until FRIDAY PM

I wonder how long it will take them to return it?

I have now had my jimny minus its axle blocking a lane at my local garage for well over a week

Mark

More
04 Oct 2010 04:48 #4929 by kirkynut
How did this get resolved Mark?

I might need a second hand front axle and they have the right one but not necessarily at the right price.

I'll try to get one locally first but may have to resort to them.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
04 Oct 2010 04:54 #4930 by funkyjimny
I might have a SH front axle going spare, less an OSF hub. Interested? I'm in cheshire though.

Gary

More
04 Oct 2010 07:43 #4931 by kirkynut
funkyjimny wrote:

I might have a SH front axle going spare, less an OSF hub. Interested? I'm in cheshire though.

Gary

Is it in good nick? Ie: not bent and does it come with shafts diff cvs etc? Do you have the kingpins for the side without the hub?

Finally after all those questions how much would you want for it? Perhaps send me a pm with your tel no.

Cheers
Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
04 Oct 2010 07:50 #4933 by mlines
This guy has appeared on Difflock

forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=56739

(if the link hasn't been deleted yet because of advertising)

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
04 Oct 2010 08:20 #4935 by funkyjimny
Mines a complete front axle, never driven the car with the axle on it, but i need an OSF hub from it, or you give me a good OSF hub and take the whole axle. Its from a 1998 model manual jimny hardtop.
I'm not giving it away, but not after silly cash like the breakers, make me an offer. I'm in Crewe in Cheshire.

Gary

More
06 Oct 2010 06:51 #4955 by kirkynut
I've managed to get one locally for £75! They saw the swivels weren't shiny like a Landrover swivel and assumed it wasno good but as they are dry it's nothing a bit of emery won't solve with a new seal.

I got a rear axle off the same car for £150 so I can have spare shafts. I can fit new bearings and collars to them before I take the old ones out to be able to do the job in one hit.

Cheers though.

Kirkynut

More
06 Oct 2010 06:52 #4956 by kirkynut
I've managed to get one locally for £75! They saw the swivels weren't shiny like a Landrover swivel and assumed it wasno good but as they are dry it's nothing a bit of emery won't solve with a new seal.

I got a rear axle off the same car for £150 so I can have spare shafts. I can fit new bearings and collars to them before I take the old ones out to be able to do the job in one hit.

Cheers though.

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds