BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Winter Prep !! Whats everyone doing ??

• Fearghal Murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Nov 2011 18:28 #25479 by Fearghal Murphy
Replied by Fearghal Murphy on topic Re: Winter Prep !! Whats everyone doing ??
Very interesting picture?? any progress at all ?? Looks promising also what tires are you using in this picture ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2011 20:55 #25492 by Halford
autoexpress 09th November 2011

Councils across England are slashing spending on winter road services like gritting, even though the number of winter road accidents has rocketed.
Severe cold, snow and ice in recent years have led to dangerous driving conditions and road closures. Department for Transport figures show there was a 37 per cent increase in the number of cars overturning in snow and ice in 2010.
But budget estimates from the Department for Communities and Local Government show councils are planning widespread cuts to services like salting roads and snowploughing.
Sixty-seven councils are slashing winter road services budgets, with 33 set to spend 10 per cent less than last year and 21 aiming to spend 30 per cent less. In total, local authorities are planning a significant 3.6 per cent cut

:woohoo: :evil: :woohoo:

• Fearghal Murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Nov 2011 01:17 #25499 by Fearghal Murphy
Replied by Fearghal Murphy on topic Re: Winter Prep !! Whats everyone doing ??
answer = everyone buy Jimny's

More
10 Nov 2011 21:30 - 10 Nov 2011 21:34 #25524 by Halford
just discovered these Automobile Escaper Tracks on screwfix

Attachment 70867_P.jpg not found

only £15 pair - might be worth a punt - if nothing else, can use them for my hound to get in the truck if I ever save up for my 4.5 inch lift :whistle:
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Nov 2011 21:34 by Halford.

More
10 Nov 2011 22:51 - 10 Nov 2011 23:17 #25528 by facade
The thing that everybody loses sight of is when it snows, the roads block up with people who can't or simply won't drive, and 4wd or even caterpillar tracks won't help as you can't just drive over them.

Simply offering to drive their car out of my way usually goes down like a lead balloon. Suggestions like "How about gently pressing the accelerator and trying a higher gear rather than spinning the wheels until you slide sideways into an obstacle " are ignored.

So you still need the warm coats etc for when you get stuck in traffic.

I usually get up half an hour early to get a crack at the roads whilst they are empty, as all the numpties have got to spend an extra 10 minutes clearing snow off their cars before they start off, and I am pretty much at work by then.

Doesn't help on the way home though :evil:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 10 Nov 2011 23:17 by facade.

• zaine
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2011 13:42 #25557 by zaine
Replied by zaine on topic Re: Winter Prep !! Whats everyone doing ??
^^ this is what i found last year

even though i wasnt in the jimny, i was first one out in the morning and got to work before seeing any cars really

i started clearing snow at 5am and got my git off the drive by 8am, took me an 1hr to get to work which was a long time but fairly uneventful

the drive home was a bloody nightmare, took me around 3hrs driving in and out of stuck cars, helping people out, sitting in traffic and generally not moving anywhere

More
11 Nov 2011 16:24 #25564 by Johnniehec

Fearghal Murphy wrote: Very interesting picture?? any progress at all ?? Looks promising also what tires are you using in this picture ?

No more progress yet I've been getting a property ready for let but finished that now so might get some more progress this weekend. I intend to drop a couple of links down from the front tow points then tie them back to the rear radius arm chassis bolts/brackets and get a teenie winch to lift it with.
The tyres are BF Goodrich MTs 30 9.50 15 on standard Jimny rims the one on the right in the picture is about 3 -4 years old the other one is my spare and is about 20 years old they are both actually the same size the ground under the back axle isn't level.
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• Geordi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2011 21:17 #25638 by Geordi
Replied by Geordi on topic Re: Winter Prep !! Whats everyone doing ??
gonna get the plough out and give it a check over and modify

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2011 22:34 #25642 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Winter Prep !! Whats everyone doing ??
Hopefully get a towbar. I had the good old Grand Vitara the last few years we have had snow and couldnt realy help anyone in terms of pulling them out. Awesome car, didnt get stuck once but what would you expect from a Suzuki ;) . I surpose its kind of the Jimny's cousin :laugh:

Attachment IMG_0001_2011-11-13.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0001_1.jpg not found

Wish i had never sold it realy :( Mind you i would never have got the Jimny if i hadnt :)

Nobby
Attachments:

More
12 Nov 2011 23:02 #25644 by supergaz
The standard towing eyes are excellent on the GV, not like the flimsy tie down points on the jimny. My GV passed its MOT today, but its got to go up for sale now as I need a bigger tow car. I've had it since 2004 and it's been totaly reliable and awesome in the white stuff! Just wish my jimny was as cheap to run as my GV.

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2011 12:55 #26167 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Winter Prep !! Whats everyone doing ??
Just found this. Seems to make sense but with weather you never kno do you! If he is right then we better get those Jimny's prepped, and soon!

www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

Nobby

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2011 14:09 - 20 Nov 2011 15:01 #26171 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: Winter Prep !! Whats everyone doing ??
Standard jimny card board partly covering the radiator . Cut down sleeping matt covering the battey.
Nearly neat antifreeze. Nylon 12 mm strechy rope 18 ft long bloody stong stuff. montane extreme jacket with hood, nofear ski trousers, sports muckboots best for deep snow. snow goggles dont know why but they look cool. Exterme cold weather sleeping bag and my fav gloves which are extra big black bog cleaning gloves which come up to my elbow nearly with fleece gloves underneath toastie warm ;) and Ideal if you have to dig snow as your hands stay real warm. oh and a bright orange snow shovel. Food wise peanuts and a big cup with a straw for snow with ribena for my slush puppy on the go. A full tank of fuel. Hard boiled egg with salt and pepper. Flask of tea. And the bitch peeling the eggs and applying salt and pepper. Also a dish cleaning brush to sweep the snow off my boots to stop my car getting wet. I am in the process of devising a snow blower to get snow out from under my jimny with the help of a dive bottle and a tube. Could prove dangerous. :pinch:
Last edit: 20 Nov 2011 15:01 by jo king.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds