BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

General wobble advice and am I missing some bits?

• chrisoldroyd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2011 18:12 - 23 Jul 2011 18:29 #19405 by chrisoldroyd
i have been reading the forum threads and think I know where to start. I bought a 2007 Jimny last week from a dealer, it was serviced, mot'd and had new discs fitted beforei picked it up, it has only done 20,000 miles.

On the way home we noticed the wheel wobble at exactly 45mph, it's going back to the garage next week. Just want some advice so they don't fob me off with any BS, what do I need to ask and check?

Finally, I was fitting a Parrot Bluetooth kit today and noticed that there is no cover above the pedals dividing the footwell from behind the dash, it's the same on both sides. Hard to explain but if I put my head in the footwell and look up, I can see the steering column and the electrics. Every other car I have had has a cover separating this. Is this normal or is mine missing these?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Report to moderator
Last edit: 23 Jul 2011 18:29 by chrisoldroyd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2011 20:15 #19414 by ZookFastback
Never heard of cars that have covers above the pedals and there is nothing missing from your Jimny, not even the "Death Wobble" ;) I would wonder at the purpose of such covers? Would it be to stop dust falling up? Nah, even "down under" dust falls down. Do you have footwell inspectors on your side of the planet maybe? Or just Mother-in-laws who like to have everything neat and tidy even when it can't be seen except by folks with "Up-skirt" cameras fitted to their shoes!

Anway, Welcome to the World of Jimny Drivers. A happy if somewhat eccentric mob who enjoy minimalist form of transport for maximum bare bones enjoyment :)

• greenjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jul 2011 08:36 #19473 by greenjimny

ZookFastback wrote: I would wonder at the purpose of such covers? Would it be to stop dust falling up?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

welcome mate

• seggins
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jul 2011 04:50 #19656 by seggins
Mine did this and the solution (which I still don't understand) was in the type of wheel balance weights used. The garage tried the inside stick-on type and the balancer said they were fine...but it still wobbled. The old type external clip on ones cured the problem. Give it a try...and good luck

More
29 Jul 2011 05:09 #19657 by mlines

ZookFastback wrote: Never heard of cars that have covers above the pedals )

My Range Rover and my daughters BMW does. Makes it all look neat and tidy.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
29 Jul 2011 05:12 #19658 by mlines

chrisoldroyd wrote: i have been reading the forum threads and think I know where to start. I bought a 2007 Jimny last week from a dealer, it was serviced, mot'd and had new discs fitted beforei picked it up, it has only done 20,000 miles.

On the way home we noticed the wheel wobble at exactly 45mph, it's going back to the garage next week. Just want some advice so they don't fob me off with any BS, what do I need to ask and check?

They should be checking the Kingpin Bearings and all the bushes around the front (Panhard Bushes, Leading Arm Bushes etc) plus wheel bearings and tie rod ends. Also check that the leading arms are perfectly straight.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds