BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Whats this?

More
17 Apr 2011 16:18 - 17 Apr 2011 16:21 #15172 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Re: Whats this?
No sorry mate that grease or oil from the diff.:dry:

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 17 Apr 2011 16:21 by dirtydogz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2011 06:45 #15196 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: Whats this?
Wonder where the screen wash is escaping then...

More
18 Apr 2011 08:51 #15203 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: Whats this?
Are the carpets in the rear footwells wet by any chance? I can't remember which side but when I was welding my sills I checked for wiring behind the carpet on the inside and noticed the rear screen washer tube is there as well. If there's been any welding done it might be melted or it might have been frozen.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
18 Apr 2011 11:17 #15205 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: Whats this?
Noticed a similar thing with little "ooky" .. shunting the cars around last week, I put the Jimny up onto some bricks (just the front nearside at about 30 degrees). when I moved the cars back, I was rewarded by a large oily dribble on the drive. looking underneath, it appears to be from the same area, although now she is parked on a flat surface and also standing on cardboard to soak up any more discharge, its stopped and hasnt leaked any more.

Might just get the Kingpins and the wheel bearings on both sides changed as a precaution over the next few weeks.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2011 18:37 #15215 by doncarlyon

Johnniehec wrote: Are the carpets in the rear footwells wet by any chance? I can't remember which side but when I was welding my sills I checked for wiring behind the carpet on the inside and noticed the rear screen washer tube is there as well. If there's been any welding done it might be melted or it might have been frozen.

No welding that i know of... I will have a look this week and see if i can work out where the screen wash is going.

More
18 Apr 2011 21:46 #15219 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: Whats this?
my rear washer jet leaks water when she is parked on any incline ... I removed the pipe from the pump and blocked the pump outlet to fix.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2011 20:25 #17069 by doncarlyon
Could this also cause the wheel the "lean"? noticed today that the passenger front wheel is leaning, negative camber... will check for play tomorrow.

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 07:01 #17081 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: Whats this?
Yeah but it could always have been a poor job :laugh:

Get some apple scented screenwash from Halfords and if the leak smells like apples your car is fine.

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 08:39 #17084 by doncarlyon
So could the kingpins being worn cause the wheel to be leaning?

More
30 May 2011 09:13 #17085 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: Whats this?
Yep, but it must be quite bad if you can spot it by eye.
To make sure jack up that wheel (jack under the axle) grab the tyre top and bottom and try to wiggle it, if there's any movement at all the kingpin bearings are gone.
cheers,
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• Shagnasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 09:19 #17086 by Shagnasty
Replied by Shagnasty on topic Re: Whats this?

ooky_123 wrote: my rear washer jet leaks water when she is parked on any incline ... I removed the pipe from the pump and blocked the pump outlet to fix.

Yea mine did that too when I parked it facing uphill. I just assumed that it happened because the jet was below the tank and the fluid simply drained out.

Does it happen if you park facing downhill then ? (I'd go out and try it for myself, but my Jim is 130 miles away)

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 09:21 #17087 by doncarlyon

Johnniehec wrote: Yep, but it must be quite bad if you can spot it by eye.
To make sure jack up that wheel (jack under the axle) grab the tyre top and bottom and try to wiggle it, if there's any movement at all the kingpin bearings are gone.
cheers,
John.

I will check as soon as it stops raining... is it ok to jack on the axle then?

Ive ordered the bearings from the BigJimny shop. Read a few posts on here saying that the How-to is a bit out of date and you dont have to remove as much as it says.

How much Diff oil do i need to replace the oil in the front diff?

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds