BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Is serious rust a problem with early models yet ?

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2011 14:22 #24030 by doncarlyon
Errrm oh dear!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2011 08:33 - 20 Oct 2011 08:35 #24085 by Gromit
My old red S reg was a rot box in the boot but the 51 plate seems to be ok. It has a 2" bodylift which is handy as it's easier to get to the underside of the bodywork & the top of the fuel tank with Waxoyl.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2011 08:35 by Gromit.

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2011 08:59 #24087 by doncarlyon
Mines a 2001 Y reg and i have a few holes in the rear floor. Will be getting patched up for the MOT and some form of waxoyl / protection aswell.

More
24 Oct 2011 17:17 #24345 by mcjimny
As a heads up to others, i had my seats down the other day and noticed a scab of rust just infront of each seatbelt bolt under the rear seats. Its just surface at the moment and about 2" but i'll be treating it and painting asap!.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Oct 2011 17:38 #24348 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Is serious rust a problem with early models yet ?
I have the same on an 04... although a much smaller patch... maybe the size of a 10p

I think this maybe caused by condensation running down the back of the trim... as one day i noticed a lot of condensation, and a while later the floor felt damp. Is this feasible?

I treated it a couple of months ago, no sign of it returning

More
24 Oct 2011 18:20 #24364 by mcjimny
Could easily be the cause, i'll be having a good look underneath too as its a future mot failure if left untreated as its near the seatbelt mounts

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Oct 2011 18:24 #24365 by doncarlyon
I will get some pics of mine soon.

Do breakers like cam suzuki sell the floorpan do you know?

• Chilgrove
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Oct 2011 19:10 #24378 by Chilgrove
I cannot see any reason for the boot floor in particular to rust. The area around the jack storage point seems especially vulnerable and I assume the rust is from the outside in. I noticed on mine about 3 convex dents but how on earth could that have happened in the first place? I don't think mine has ever been off road and even if it had it is hard to see why that particular area suffers.
Howard.

More
24 Oct 2011 19:27 #24380 by mlines
The boot floor tends to rust in soft tops as leaking water collects at the lowest point. Also, being Spanish, they may have boot been galvanized .

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• p1ngu32
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Oct 2011 19:30 #24382 by p1ngu32
Ive just finished welding up the holes in my floor today, it seems that the rust appears any where where there is a bracket or streghthening bar/crossmember under the floor, water probably gets trapped in there and rusts the floor from the bottom up. might be an idea to blast some waxoyl or similar stuff under there before it gets a hold.

Some pictures

Before i started with my rust poking screwdriver

After a bit of screwdriverage

I then cut out all the rusty bits but i didnt get any pictures of this i was busy and forgot.

Welded in some nice thick gauge steel thats not going to rust any time soon

Painted up, you can see the other problem areas around the seat belts, i cut out the worst of these and overlapped about 5mm

And finally a hole in the driver side sill i repaired last year.

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Oct 2011 19:56 #24384 by X-Eng Simon
Mine seems pretty good. Quite a lot of the panel work is zinc plated (and painted) though there are some exceptions such as the outer skin behind the rear wheels where it was originally covered with plastic trim.

The chassis is perfect as well as the floor and sills. It's a 1999 Spanish built soft top by the way.

This evening I took off the soft top above the front seats and found that the frame is rotten as a carrot and turned to dust in my hands. It wasn't a problem as I was going to make a rigid roof anyway.

Si

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2011 14:07 #25746 by VAXXi
Just because I took a picture today of the underbody:

File Attachment:

Don't like how it looks for a 4 year old car :angry: will have to do something about it in the summer.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds