BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Is serious rust a problem with early models yet ?

• CompoSimmonite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2011 07:50 - 03 Apr 2011 07:51 #14388 by CompoSimmonite
With current fuel prices (predicted they will rise to £1.50 ltr soon) I've realised I can't afford to run my 15mpg '72 Range Rover.
I've therefore been looking for a "sensible" alterantive and have settled on a Jimny.
This would be a 3rd car and a workhorse so I'm looking at the lower end of the market - definatley pre March 2001 and hardtop.

Is serious rust starting to be a problem yet on these vehciles ? I'd expect it around edges but am more worried about chassis rot, doors falling apart, etc. As you might guess I'm used to Land Rover products where rust and rot are a manufacturers free extra with every vehicle :whistle:

Thanks.

Paul H
Last edit: 03 Apr 2011 07:51 by CompoSimmonite.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2011 07:59 #14391 by mcjimny
Zuks don't generally have chassis rot problems, thats reserved for landies :laugh:

The "boot" floor is prone to rot, i've not seen a really rough jimny yet myself even really early ones. A bit of preventative work and a clean up should keep rot at bay long term though.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2011 08:01 #14393 by Keefe
Hey Up!

Mine's a 2001 tin top (Lightweight)

Here's my boot:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I haven't and won't be putting the seats back in. Just going to board it out.

Good luck with the search and Welcome to the Forum

Keith :)

• CompoSimmonite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2011 10:13 #14396 by CompoSimmonite
Replied by CompoSimmonite on topic Re: Is serious rust a problem with early models yet ?
Good to hear chassis rot isn't a common problem. B)
To be honest I'd seriously consider lifting the body and having the chassis galv'd anyway. Might seem OTT but after 5 x Series, Defender, Discovery and 3 x Range Rovers it's something I dread. :(
I don't mind some bodywork as long as it's not falling apart - like my old B reg Steyr Puch Panda 4x4 !

Paul H

More
03 Apr 2011 11:41 - 03 Apr 2011 11:45 #14397 by facade
The early ones go where suzuki had the brilliant idea of double skinning the panels :angry:
Somewhat like the idea of putting aluminium against unprotected steel :whistle: ..........

Ism't your rangerover free tax?

That is £215 worth of free fuel (best part of 500 miles worth), so you would need to use £215 + £125 worth of fuel in the range rover to break even, not including the horrendous cost of the insurance, compared to a classic rangerover.

If the rangerover is in good nick, and free tax, I'd keep it.

(actually, I counted the tax twice, which is a bit like the 3 men pay £10 each for a meal and total cost is £25 puzzle, but if you compare like for like a post '2000 jimny is £200 tax and loads more insurance)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 03 Apr 2011 11:45 by facade.

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2011 12:48 #14399 by bertbuckie

mcjimny wrote: Zuks don't generally have chassis rot problems, thats reserved for landies :laugh:

As a Landie owner I take great offense at that comment!
Just what gives you the idea they have chassis rot problems anyhow?
Have you seen my series 2A chassis? a bit of paint and a quick rubdown ( and a lot of luck ) and she will be fine I'm sure :D

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2011 12:55 - 03 Apr 2011 12:56 #14400 by Keefe
That'll T-Cut out that, no problem. :ohmy:
Last edit: 03 Apr 2011 12:56 by Keefe.

More
03 Apr 2011 14:29 #14413 by mcjimny

CompoSimmonite wrote: Good to hear chassis rot isn't a common problem. B)
To be honest I'd seriously consider lifting the body and having the chassis galv'd anyway. Might seem OTT but after 5 x Series, Defender, Discovery and 3 x Range Rovers it's something I dread. :(
I don't mind some bodywork as long as it's not falling apart - like my old B reg Steyr Puch Panda 4x4 !

Paul H[/quote

TBH just waxoyling(or similiar) it should be enough, my old SJ was nearly 20years old and essentially filler but the chassis was perfect. Look under any old zuk and i'd be surprised to see chassis rot on a looked after example.

More
03 Apr 2011 14:34 #14415 by mcjimny

bertbuckie wrote:

mcjimny wrote: Zuks don't generally have chassis rot problems, thats reserved for landies :laugh:

As a Landie owner I take great offense at that comment!
Just what gives you the idea they have chassis rot problems anyhow?
Have you seen my series 2A chassis? a bit of paint and a quick rubdown ( and a lot of luck ) and she will be fine I'm sure :D

Yeah a bit of wire brush action and some hammerite and alls well! ;)

I've seen a few old motors knocking about lately now the weathers improving, i wish i could afford to run a 3rd car, i'd love something tax exempt an old series ideally, nothing mint just a good example to run about a bit to shows and the odd play day.

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2011 15:17 #14422 by bertbuckie
lol, My dad and I bought this one,bent in the middle with the intention of doing her up..... next on the list is a galvy chassis.....most other bits are cheap as chips and she's tax exempt :)
Engine didnt go when we got her..... new fuel pump and she went first turn!
Cant wait to get her on the road..... a real classic :)

More
04 Apr 2011 18:08 #14486 by kirkynut
I don't think all the older ones are bad with rust, it just depends on the car you are looking at and what it's been used for and where.

It's only really the body you need to worry about but the chassis are not as good as the old SJ chassis were, the body shells are as bad though and galvanising came quite late I believe.

Just look at a fair few.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2011 05:18 #14496 by adamjimny
as kirkynut said depends on there owners as mine 02 reg has no rust but iv seen 04 reg's full of it in boot.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds