BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Member and Advice Needed...

• Pete E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 00:02 - 05 Feb 2011 00:02 #10978 by Pete E
Replied by Pete E on topic Re: New Member and Advice Needed...
Thanks again for all the advice folks...

A couple of other questions: if I go from from 205/70/R15 to 215/75/R15's, will it effect the gearing much? I do some fairly long trips in my Jimny and use 5th gear a lot and don't want to do anything that will bugger that up too much...

Also can anybody recomend a good AT type tyre in 215/75, plus the best place to source them?

Thanks again,

Peter
Last edit: 05 Feb 2011 00:02 by Pete E.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 05:34 #10981 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: New Member and Advice Needed...
Ive got 215 75 but in a mud pattern and the gearing is affected but i can live with it fine, its not that bad. Think its about the biggest you should go if using a lot.

I find camskill great for tyres.

• Pete E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 11:27 - 05 Feb 2011 11:33 #10991 by Pete E
I was wondering if i could sneak in a set of 225 75 R15 Goodrich BFG AT's such that would fit ok without too adverse an effect on the gearing but I suspect the 215's sound to be a safer option...

I was also wondering about the Goodrich MKTM2's MUD' s but I'm again worried if they will too noisy on road??
Last edit: 05 Feb 2011 11:33 by Pete E.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 11:35 #10992 by biggaz
You could probably get away with that i would have thought. They dont list that size on camskill in the bfg's though so not sure if they do them.

General grabber at2's are in that size, will you be doing any decent offroading? would you not prefer some mud tyres which are well behaved on road? Just after a recent trip out i seen how the
mud tyres and the all terrains were completlely different when it got a bit sloppy. SO pleased i went for muds now over A/T's.

• Pete E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 16:49 #11019 by Pete E
I'm in North Wales, (near Chirk) so there are quite a few greenlanes to go at, some easy some not so easy...Not really looking at doing "pay and play", mud pits or trials/competions..

I've had AT in the past on a Trooper and they were *ok* but as you say not brilliant..A friend had some serious Muds (not sure what brand) on a Jeep and they were were noisy as hell, so it put me off them for a daily driver..

Do you find the Goodrich Muds acceptable on the road? Any down sides to them?

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 16:55 #11021 by biggaz
Yeh mate, the downside is the price......

There great on road, little noise as expected but far better than i thought! another good mud tyre for the road is the kumho kl71, bit cheaper too!

I'd definatly buy muds again, probably the bfg's again aswell because they are quite quiet and well behaved.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 17:27 #11024 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: New Member and Advice Needed...
I found the only problem with the KL71's was the soft side walls.
I used to worry on 'sharp' ground such as rutted slate.
A friend of mine had a brand new one ruined due to a large piece of slate piercing the sidewall.
They are nice though.

K :)

Just to mention, mine were fitted on a much bigger/heavier vehicle than the Jimny

• Pete E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 18:15 #11031 by Pete E
In one of the tyre places mentioned earlier in the thread the Goodrich Muds are £92 which is about £5 a piece cheaper than the AT's...I'll get a print off of the price list and see if my local tyre place will match them or at least come close..

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 19:16 - 05 Feb 2011 19:18 #11041 by biggaz
i got mine from camskill if thats where you mean, good service from them. Remeber the tyre fitters are gonna put the fitting charge on aswell but you need to pay that anyway..

Are you going for 215/75? they dont rub on standard susp but look much better on the steel modulars, only 120 quid a set with bit wider rim and lower offset for stability..

standard height on bfg with modulars, you can get them from the saved insurance money hehe!

Attachment IMAG0111_2011-02-05.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG0109.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2011 19:18 by biggaz.

• Pete E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 19:30 #11046 by Pete E
I have to say they do look good in that pic!

Is that Jimny otherwise standard, ie no lifts?

The modulars sound a good idea...would it be better than keeping my standard Jimny steel rims and adding spaces?

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 19:52 #11049 by biggaz
Id ALWAYS say its better than spacers, there 15x7 with a much lower offset so look great and give the same extra width as spacers but with 4 new shiny rims!

Dave T was gonna buy some spacers but went for the rims instead and i think hes chuffed with them.

Yes in that pic, standard apart from wheel/tyre, look in my "my jimny" thread for the full details.

with 3" LIFT

• Pete E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 20:15 #11054 by Pete E
Thanks again for the help, this is really helping me get a sensible plan of action for a build..

Looks like if I go for the 215/75's Muds and modulars as the first serious upgrade, I can then add a 2" suspension lift at a later date as funds permit.

Any recommend sources for the modulars? Any where likely to a deal on a set of wheels and tyres together?

Regards,

Peter

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds