BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Member and Advice Needed...

• Pete E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 14:22 - 04 Feb 2011 14:23 #10928 by Pete E
New Member and Advice Needed... was created by Pete E
Hi Folks,

New member here, but have driven a "standard" 2004 Jimny for 4 relatively trouble free years. I use it as a daily drive, for shooting, and a little light green laning.

I bought it as a "stop gap" when my "real" 4x4 (Isuzu Trooper) went belly up..After owning the Jimny a little while, I took a real shine to it, and the "stop gap" became a permanent fixture!

As it is a daily drive, I've not done any mods to it, but would like to change that now, with a view to make it a little better off road without compromising on road performance too much..

The first thing I'd like to improve is the ground clearance.

I see various different types of lifts but I am not sure of the benifits and draw backs of each?

What would be a good starting point? From what I read, a 2" lift is probably the easiest and needs less modifications?

I currently have standard 15" steel wheels with 205 70 R15..Would I be better deciding what Wheels/Tyres I want, and then working out what lift is needed?

Also, are there any other "quick and dirty" mods that result in noticeable off road performance benifits?

Thanks in advance,

Peter
Last edit: 04 Feb 2011 14:23 by Pete E.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zukhunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 14:32 #10929 by zukhunter
Replied by zukhunter on topic Re: New Member and Advice Needed...
hi and welcome to the forum

the best lift is what you can afford ,jimnys do well with just a good set of mud tyres
the problem with jimnys is that one mod leads to more needing done
between shocks and springs then extendable brake hoses ,bushes need replacing
steering dampers

start with a good set of muds at least that will get you started in the mud

• Pete E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 14:44 #10931 by Pete E
Replied by Pete E on topic Re: New Member and Advice Needed...
Thanks Zuhunter,

I appreciate what you are saying, but given the cost of Muds, I don't want to spend on those now getting size x when after a lift I will need size y...

Regards,

Peter

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 15:38 - 04 Feb 2011 15:40 #10937 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: New Member and Advice Needed...
basically, without lift.. 215/75/15 is fine.

235's will need a lift and arch trimming, above that then yeh more lift and trimming. I'd decide on the tyres you want, then see whats needed to make them fit by asking on here.the bigger you go though the worse the gearing is going to be.

Id say with a 2" lift 235/75's is the biggest you would wanna go (might even be pushing it depending on tread type, remould etc). Mines on 215's and has a 3" lift but would like 235's if it wasnt for gearing.

With a 2" lift i would still recommend the longer brake hoses and probably not bother buying caster bush's until you see if you think you need them, i havnt fitted any on the 3" because i think its "ok". Also allows more flex than on caster bush's.

Ideally for 3", budget for caster arms (or at least bush's) ((although you might not want them many do so factor them in to be safe)) brake hoses, adjustable panhards.

many have a small lift on spring spacers with shock re-location brackets which looks great especially with 205/215's
Last edit: 04 Feb 2011 15:40 by biggaz.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 15:49 #10939 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: New Member and Advice Needed...
your cheapest options are either a 2" body lift - may need to lengthen the steering column and bend the transfer box lever (if its push button then not a problem) cost about £60 -£100 plus your time to do the lift
and then 2" spring spacers and rear shock relocators about £120 plus your time and the extended brake hoses about another £120

That would give you 4" for about £350 and then you can fit bigger tyres and offset wheels and or wheel spacers

A cheap mod for offroading is to remove the anti roll bar to give more articulation

After that it starts to get dearer

• Pete E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 16:07 #10940 by Pete E
Thanks again gents...is there much involved in lengthening the steering column?? Or is a replacement part??

Also meant to ask about recovery points...Is there any reason not to use the tow hitch for the rear recovery point?

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 16:15 #10941 by biggaz
Yeh that should be fine, the fronts are the worst really but i dont have any uprated ones either, if using the fronts as they are use a bridle between the two.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 17:49 #10952 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: New Member and Advice Needed...
extended brake hoses £120 :huh: im glad i don't shop in the same places as you :lol:

there only £15 each & you need 3 so thats £45 (sounds much netter)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 18:18 - 04 Feb 2011 18:19 #10953 by darthloachie
ooops yes -bigjimny reinforced brake hoses £58.50 :blush:
Last edit: 04 Feb 2011 18:19 by darthloachie.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 18:45 - 04 Feb 2011 18:46 #10955 by darthloachie
Here is one renard38 made to extend his steering column (white bit)

Attachment column.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Feb 2011 18:46 by darthloachie.

• Pete E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 19:44 #10961 by Pete E
Thanks for that...Is it essentially a spacer that fits between a joint thats already in the steering column using longer bolts??

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2011 20:06 #10964 by biggaz
Im not sure that "everybody" needs the steering spacer do they?

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds